Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started to see some activity after 24 hours. It's now got a nice frothy top at 48 hours. No furious bubbling like other have reported when using Nottingham, but I never get much bubbling - maybe there's a small leak in my lid. I might give the gladwrap top a go for the next brew.

Currently sitting in a room at 18 to 19 degrees C, the thermometer on the fermenter looks like its a 20 (exothermic). This is getting towards the top end for the yeast, would it be better to find a cooler spot for it?

Good question HeavyNova.

I think you should move it.

In thermodynamics, the term exothermic ("outside heating") describes a process or reaction that releases energy usually in the form of heat, but also in the form of light (e.g. a spark, flame, or explosion), electricity (e.g. a battery), or sound(e.g. burning hydrogen). Its etymology stems from the Greek prefix ex- (meaning "outside") and the Greek word thermein (meaning "to heat"). The term exothermic was first coined by Marcellin Berthelot. The opposite of an exothermic process is an endothermic process, one that absorbs energy in the form of heat.

The concept is frequently applied in the physical sciences to chemical reactions, where chemical bond energy is converted to thermal energy (heat).

For this reason your brew will always be slightly warmer than its surroundings. Try putting it in the fridge for half the day and then out in your lounge room after that.
Just kidding. Water on the lid with a fan always does the trick.

Peace out.

Welcome to the forums Chris.

As noticed, your brew will sit above the ambient temperature by a degree or two for the next few days while the fermentation is going strong. As it slows down, it will cool down closer to the ambient temperature.
It would probably be slightly beneficial if you could cool it down a degree or 2 for the next few days to try and keep it closer to 18 degrees. However, If I was you, I probably wouldn't bother unless you've got another room in the house that happens to be a couple of degrees cooler.
I've got my brew in a fermenting fridge and I've got the temp set to 19 degrees and the brew is at 20. I could/should cool it down a touch, but I've previously had stalled fermentations which I've blamed on the temperature (probably more due to poor oxygenation of the wort to begin with in hindsight).

Cheers Muzz,

Yeah, unfortunately it's in the coolest room at the moment. I'm thinking it would be better to hold it steady rather than the up and down temps outside (hitting 5 overnight and 20 in the day).

Hi Chris,

You're probably right, this might be the only way to knock a degree or 2 off it with how it's currently set up. Can't hurt to try I suppose!

I wouldn't put water on the lid personally due to the inherant risk of it making it's way past the grommet into your brew. It's probably not a big risk now, but could be when the fermentation slows and the temperature drops.
A wet wrag over it and a fan would get my tick of approval.

Hi Guys,

Was thinking about making this.

When I put Neill's original hop schedual in my spreadsheet in 21L I get about 57 IBU.

In the DB Neill says he gets around 30 in the spreadsheet has something gone crook with my version of the spreadsheet?

57 sounds way OTT for my taste.

Do I just follow his schedual?

Thanks

Hi Munut,

Are you using Ian's spreadsheet?

If so, the IBU calculation is affected by the Hop Concentration Factor and the boil volume.

Try HCF yes and 6L boil

Lodan

Edit: note that the Neill's recipe is made up to 23L, a smaller volume will give you a higher IBU

Hi Munut,

Are you using Ian's spreadsheet?

If so, the IBU calculation is affected by the Hop Concentration Factor and the boil volume.

Try HCF yes and 6L boil

Lodan

Edit: note that the Neill's recipe is made up to 23L, a smaller volume will give you a higher IBU

That looks better cheers

Ok, it's been in the bottles for almost 2 weeks. Had one last night and it's friggin beautiful!

My recipe included some additional spec grains so it ended up being more like a 'partial' but the base recipe and insipration came from the OP, so thanks very much!

I'll definately making this again sometime.

How does everyone reckon this recipe would go using a lager yeast and fermenting at 11 degrees?

I was thinking:

2.5kg LDME
500g Dextrose
300g carapils
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

either s-23 or 2206 for the yeast.

Just thought it would give a nice clean hoppy taste as it's too cold to brew ales where I live at the moment.

My first extract brew is this recipe and now bottled for about a week Smelt and tasted fantastic straight from fermenter cant wait to crack a few...Only added 200gms crystal to original recipe...

put down original recipe plus 250g of pale crystal malt steeped for 30 min as my first ever extract

tasted so friggin fantastic my next door neighbour (my taste tester) refused to beleive i made it myself

anyone thinking of trying extract DOOO IIIIIT and with this recipe being so easy its a simple step from K&K

thankue Neill you saved my life (well maybe not but you made my beer better which in my book is just as good :lol: )

Having the last bottle of my batch as I type this. I guess we all know what that means! :kooi:

I used Cascade/Amarillo because I could't find Centennial, twofiddy steeped crystal and 500g dex,
awesome drop,
thanks Neill

I used Cascade/Amarillo because I could't find Centennial, twofiddy steeped crystal and 500g dex,
awesome drop,
thanks Neill

Yeah, I did the same minus the crystal. Did the shopping at Brew Cellar cos the LHBS closes at 1 on a Saturday (outageous ;) ) They didn't have Centennial and the closest yeast was their Premium Ale Yeast.

It's still come out a treat - especially as a first full extract. Luckily I held some back for cellaring or my mates would have cleaned me out on Grand Final day(s)!

Now got an American Brown down, again with Amarillo, which should be ready for drinking in about 3 weeks.

Can definitely see why the thread's up to 16 pages!

By the way, has anyone done an AG version?

Good to see people still making this one.

I brewed another batch of it last week and it's just about finished fermenting - man it smells great. Still one of my all-time favourites!

Mine just carbed up... opened up one. Over carbed. God knows how that happened. Definitely not an infection, because it tastes awesome! Can't see how fermentation couldn't have been finished, it got about a month in primary, with 3 sequential hydro readings all the same over about a week, even a swirl in there! ... maybe I put two carb lollies into that one.

Anyway, awesome recipe Neill, thanks mate!

I have had this on my list sincce i joined the forums not long ago, putting it down this weekend :)

Will be bottling my version up tonight. Tasted the SG sample tube last night. Mmmmmmm tastes awesome and smells a treat too.

Dragging up this thread (again)

For you guys who have made this one (seems like a lot of people), do you think its better clear or cloudy? It'll be my next brew- not sure whether to rack it, use finings, cold crash etc, or just to botttle it right out of primary.

Any opinions? I usually prefer to clear my brews up, but dont mind the occasional cloudy ale if its full bodied etc.

Latest posts

Back