Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whichever you want. It will make no difference to the taste. Having said that, I usually bottle these types of brews quickly so the hops are fresh in the bottle when you crack them later. The flavour will subside quickly in this brew and it is best drunk less than 3 months after bottling in my opinion.

Everyone should make this - or perhaps not. I've made a few of these and today, for no good reason I can think of, I gave my non drinking wife a sip. "I could drink that, did you bottle any of it? We could take it camping with us" she said. I hadn't bottled any so I'm in the shit. Lots of sayings come to mind, particularly the one about talking to trees.

Lol... you need to go and find the Party Keg thread...
That'd be very portable and good for a camping trip.
You'd probably need two of them though.
Everyone should make this - or perhaps not. I've made a few of these and today, for no good reason I can think of, I gave my non drinking wife a sip. "I could drink that, did you bottle any of it? We could take it camping with us" she said. I hadn't bottled any so I'm in the shit. Lots of sayings come to mind, particularly the one about talking to trees.

i bottled this recipe two weeks ago as my very first move from k&k's to extract brewing and i can't bloody believe the difference!!! I used notty i got from craft brewer (the bad batch) and it worked like a dream. i cant believe how good it tastes compared to any of the 14 different kit beers ive done. Theres no turning back now! I tastes so much better!

If I were to use Coopers Amber LME, would this address the need for crystal grain?

Lynchman: IanH's spreadsheet mostly. I do small boils of 5L so the hop concentration factor needs to be taken into account if you do larger boils or your bitterness will be way off. Aim for 30-40 IBU and adjust your boil times as needed.

Chookers: No. it will just make it darker. Use 2 tins of pale LME, it's an american pale style beer so you want it light golden in colour with a light body. Darker LME will make it look wrong, and taste wrong. Steeping some cracked grains will sweeten up the body a bit and add complexity.

Du99: I don't know anything about s33 so can't help ya there. Any clean-fermenting ale yeast should be fine, but some tend to scrub hop flavours more than others (which is why i like using Nottingham)

Made this a while back, and was very pleased with the result.
Thanks Neill.
Anyway would like to do it again but as you probably all know, still can't get the Nottingham after the recall.
Was about to buy the Us-05 at the way overpriced local HBS, and then thought bugger it, i've got a heap of slants in the fridge that will cost me nothing. (Well a little for the malt) but a lot cheaper than the $8 they're asking.
So my question is what wyeast would you recommend as a good substitute? Maybe the 1272?
Thanks

Wow, I have just made this with the addition of the crystal steeped for 30 mins at 65 - 70 deg C. Used US 05 yeast could not get Nottingham in Tassie. It smells beautiful as does the whole house with the hop boil. If it tastes as good it will be superb - Thanks Neill.

This has been in the keg now for 6 days, and is spot on, can only get better! Just done another version with 1.5kg of Amber LME.

Just bottled a batch of this about half an hour ago, smells and tastes amazing. Might have to crack one at 2 weeks just to see how good it really is. :icon_chickcheers:

putting this one down tomorrow, thought my pot was a lot bigger than it is... just getting prepaired at the moment and i reckon im onl going to get a 4l boil - anyone reckon this will cause any problems? should i reduce anything?

cheers

Popped the top off one of these last night, unfortunately my non beer drinking SWMBO had a taste and decided that she could drink this. Can't see this batch lasting very long so I may be brewing this one again very soon

:chug:

Put this one down this arvo, and not sure if my yeast is working or not...Absolutley no action in the fermentor 6-7 hrs after pitching. No foam, no bubbles, no nothing.

Just wondered if anyone had long lag times with nottingham yeast?

Mines sitting quite comfortably at 20-21 degrees at the moment. Yeast was rehydrated in 33 degree water, and sat for about an hour before adding some wort to the yeast slurry, but the wort quite clearly sat seperate (on top) and did not activate (foam up) like i would have expected. I added more wort (in order to equal out the difference in temps between the hydrated yeast and wort) and then pitched it anyway and so far nothing.

Not sure if i am over reacting and just temp shocked the yeasties or should look at re-pitching...

I have a US-05 handy if needs be, but just wondered, how long should I wait before deciding that this yeast is definately cactus?

good to see people are still making and enjoying this one! I do it about every fourth brew now and I still love it each time.

Fodder: I usually rehydrate my yeast by getting a sterile glass, putting some 20deg water in with a teaspoon of white sugar, pitch yeast in. I do this while i'm boiling, then pitch the yeast around 6 hours later or so, when my brew is at 20deg or whatever my target is. The notto is usually flocculating hard by then. After adding the brew it usually takes a full 12 hours to start bubbling, it multiplies a lot before bubbling and activity starts. relax and have a beer, you can always pitch yeast much later, after all what you have right now is basically a no-chill container with a brew ready to go. No rush to start, assuming it was all nice and sterile to start with!

good to see people are still making and enjoying this one! I do it about every fourth brew now and I still love it each time.

Fodder: I usually rehydrate my yeast by getting a sterile glass, putting some 20deg water in with a teaspoon of white sugar, pitch yeast in. I do this while i'm boiling, then pitch the yeast around 6 hours later or so, when my brew is at 20deg or whatever my target is. The notto is usually flocculating hard by then. After adding the brew it usually takes a full 12 hours to start bubbling, it multiplies a lot before bubbling and activity starts. relax and have a beer, you can always pitch yeast much later, after all what you have right now is basically a no-chill container with a brew ready to go. No rush to start, assuming it was all nice and sterile to start with!

Cheers Neill. I left it for a good 24 hrs and there was still no activity at all in the fermentor. Seems the yeast had all settled to the bottom and was doing didly-squat. Gave it a good stir and plenty of oxygenation on a couple of occasions and still nothing, so decided to re-pitch the US-05 I had sitting around. Noticable change almost instantly, with bubbling and the usual foamy krak on top, with bubbles through the airlock in no less than a few hours later...

Not sure why the Nottingham yeast didnt work in the first place...may have got a bit hot in the car between the brew shop and home, went from hot car to fridge, then sat in the warm rehydrating water for an hour or so whilst i was brewing up, then added to too cool a brew...Perhaps the multiple temp changes over the day where a bit much for it???

Either way, shes bubbling away nicely now, sitting in the bath at a comfortable 21 degrees. Smells fastastic! Cant wait to bottle this little baby.

EDIT: Speeling

I remembr reading a while ago something about temp shock to yeast. I can't remember exactly the details, but do remember anything more than 10 degrees shock could harm it, possible kill a bit off? Dunno, sure some one with the new yeast book will be kind enough to enlighten us

This is a great beer to make and drink. I did a version with 1 x Amber LME instead of 2 x light LME's. Came out well but quite as much hop flavour. Got another original in the Fermenter. Thanks Neil, lovely stuff!!! I also add 200 - 300g of crystal (120) which has been steeped.

could be yeast shock, could just be a dud batch? who knows what happened between the yeast production place and the brew shop, it could have gone through the namibian desert on a camel for all we know. this happens every now and again, the best thing you can do is have a spare yeast packet sitting in the fridge for emergencies.

Latest posts

Back