Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found the recipe in the Recipe DB, so can see colour there.

thanks
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=867

Hmm.... I was thinking of making it a bit darker though..

BjornJ, looking back at all the times I'be brewed this, I also added a bit of crystal malt to it, ranging anywhere from 100g (med) to 3-400g (pale). I don't think it matters really with this one, the hop combo & times are spot on so it's pretty hard to make it not nice. Think the best one for me was when I used the Pale Crystal

Drinking this right now - I used 350g of Caramalt which gave a little more body, beautiful hop aroma and smack. Bloody good simple beer, works every time!

thanks guys,
I made an AG recipe now, and thought I'd add some caramalt as suggested to give it a touch more of colour and flavour.

I can't do the hop additions as expected though, the beer would be really bitter at 45 IBUs while Neill says about 30 in the recipe.
So it seems the AA% is higher in the hops I have.

Capture.JPG

I reduced the amounts of amarillo a little bit to get down towards 30 IBUs.

Capture2.JPG

Hopefully this doesn't screw too much with the original combo Neill uses.
Have read parts of this thread on and off and want to give it a go :)

Are you guys using the hopping schedule and getting 30ish IBUs or do you reduce the hops a bit to not make it overly bitter?

thanks
Bjorn

BjornJ: anything in the high 30's for IBU is awesome. That's just my preference...

Good work Neill you posted this on: Aug 4 2009, 07:49 PM
And the thread is still going strong...
I've made a few different variants on the original recipe and have always found it to be awesome.
Wonder if it will make 2 years?

I made this up last night, using DME instead, only a half batch with a 3.5L boil. Lost stuff all through evap.

it was :1.2kg LDME (200g in boil)
250g dex
10g Centennial 30min
20g Amarillo 20min
20g Amarillo 10min
Notto and whirfloc

Made to 11.5-12L

Its simply to fill my party keg

Brewmate calculated to about 45ish IBU's...

Is this going to be ok....

so with only malt extract and dextrose I assume it's a light-coloured not very malty thing.
More like a bright Ale kind of color, maybe?

Can't decide to keep it that light or add something to slightly beef it up.

Jason is looking at adding some munich and wheat as well which also sounds really nice.
Maybe I'll stick with the no dextrose and use some caramalt so we can compare versions.

Bjorn

Make the original first, then "beef" it up is you so wish - it is really very good as original, nice and hoppy, which I like!

Made this brew on Sunday, a few slight variations on ingredients due to supply at LHBS. Some shortages in supply due to the CHCH earthquake...

Recipe as follows;

1.5 kg Light DME
1.8kg Muntons Light LME
20g Centennial @ 30min
30g Amarillo @ 20min
30g Amarillo @ 10min
US - 05 yeast

Boiled 500gm DME in 5lts of water and did hop additions as recipe suggested. Reduced the Amarillo slighty so that I have enough left for another brew...tight ass i know!

Cooled the wort and added to fermenter. Big mistake, as when I added the remaining 1kg of DME it clumped up and would not mix in. Had to add some boiling water to it and work it like crazy to break down. Next time I will add to the kettle at flame out to help dissolve easier. This was my first time using DME, so live and learn.

Stirred in can of Muntons and topped up to 23Lts. Pitched yeast at 22degC. Tasted really good out of the fermenter and had a OG of 1042.

No secondary fermenter, so planning on leaving it in Primary for 12 days and then bottle.

Really looking forward to trying this in about a month, as this is my first extract brew. Can almost taste it now!

Cheers!!

---

Am an impatient bugger...tried a small sample out of fermenter after only 3 days...smells awesome and although murky with Hops etc, tastes pretty good. Bottling next week, then on holiday for 10days, but looking forward to trying when I return. I can see this becoming an obsession...

nearly at 20 pages guys, glad to see everyone is liking this still. I have a few in the fridge for tonight :)

I got all the stuff I need to give this a try.
When it says do a 5L boil with 0.5kg of LME Does that mean 5L of water plus the LME on top of that or can I put my goo into the saucepan then top it up to 5L including goo?
Hope that made sence.

I got all the stuff I need to give this a try.
When it says do a 5L boil with 0.5kg of LME Does that mean 5L of water plus the LME on top of that or can I put my goo into the saucepan then top it up to 5L including goo?
Hope that made sence.

Add the LME to the 5L of water. Probably much easier to do with dry malt extract.

Hi guys,
never got around to do that recipe I made, thinking of trying it again tomorrow if I get time.

But I really fancy a dark beer this brew round.

So thinking of keeping Neill's hop schedule to experience the Centennial and Amarillo mix and just add some carafa special 1 and maybe even a touch of roasted wheat to satisfy that black beer thirst :)

Will see if I get around to it but really want to try the hop combo.

thanks
Bjorn

Hi guys,
never got around to do that recipe I made, thinking of trying it again tomorrow if I get time.

But I really fancy a dark beer this brew round.

So thinking of keeping Neill's hop schedule to experience the Centennial and Amarillo mix and just add some carafa special 1 and maybe even a touch of roasted wheat to satisfy that black beer thirst :)

Will see if I get around to it but really want to try the hop combo.

thanks
Bjorn

just drinking this brew now with

carafa 1 0.1kg
light crystal 0.1kg
medium crystal 0.1kg
ldm 0.5kg
ddm 0.2kg
and 3kg of light liquid malt extract

been three weeks in the bottle still slightly undercarbed cause its a bit colder but has lost a little bit of the hop flavour/aroma with the extra stuff added this time around so would increase the hops if you were going darker

It's been a bloody long time since I posted here, but...

I'm going to give the original a go as a toe in the water attempt at Home Brew after four years. I've ordered all the stuff, have cleaned out (with lots of bleach) my fermenter, and have to dig under the house for my bottles, but I've been looking at getting a brew down for a while. I made (and drank) the Easy Drinking Pale Ale from the good K&K recipes thread, but that was the last beer I've brewed.

Wish me luck.

Put this down 4 days ago, stuck to recipe + 200g light crystal. Sampled a little out of the fermenter today and it's awesome, smells amazing, tastes great can't wait till this ones ready. This is only my fourth brew and my first extract but judging by this I don't think I'll be going back to kits, cheers for the recipe Neill. Will post results in a few weeks

Just put down my second batch of this brew...first one was great - didnt last long enough! Would like to keep this as my house brew and just alter slightly to suit tastes...

This time round;
3kg Black Rock Light LME
500g Light DME
250g Dextrose
250g Carapils (30min Steep in 2Lts)
5L boil with Grain water and DME
Hop additions as per recipe @ 30m, 15m and 5m
Pitched US-05 @ 22 deg and will drop down to 18 deg
Primary 1 week, secondary for another week
Dry hop with a further 15g each in secondary
Gelatine for finings (works a treat for those who havent tried it)

Just put this one down.. my first hop boil!! I did a 6L boil.

Couple of questions - when I put in the first 20g of Centennial, it almost boiled over then settled down. A significant amount of hop stuff was left on the side of the pot and not in the boil, is this something that I should have been concerned about?

Also- I've got the wort sitting in the fermenter, its sitting at 22-23 degrees right now, I'm waiting for it to get down to 20 before pitching the Notto yeast. Should I give the wort another stir before pitching, as its fairly settled now?

Sorry for noob questions.

Back