Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is the boil size for this receipe and what do you put into the boil.

Originally it was the following:

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)
500g Dextrose
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

Pitch Nottingham (would probably work well with US-05 too) and keep the temps under 20 degrees.

FG 1013

I just tasted one of these and this is one of the most awesome beers i've ever made. It is unbelievably fruity - the Centennial addition takes it to another level from an all-amarillo beer, which i have also done before. It's like someone has squeezed a passionfruit into your beer and then topped it up with watermelon or something. I'm no good at describing flavours but this is a cracker of a combination of hops. I urge all extract/KnB brewers out there to give this a go!

made up to 23 litres (standard batch volume) and for the boil i just used 6L with about 1/3 of one of the LME tins added (600g in 6L is about right for gravity to utilise the hops properly)

can i use light malt for this or does it have to be pale is there a difference?

No centennial at my LHBS so i used citra...probably nothing like centennial, but still made a nice beer :)

Bottling 20 litres of this weekend.
Tastes very nice, probabaly a little too hoppy, basicly because my hop AA% was slightly higher than originally required.
Would make another batch and use approx 3/4 the amount of hops.
Racked to secondary, and looks very clear. Should be a nice drop come the warmer months

Put this down 4 days ago, stuck to recipe + 200g light crystal. Sampled a little out of the fermenter today and it's awesome, smells amazing, tastes great can't wait till this ones ready. This is only my fourth brew and my first extract but judging by this I don't think I'll be going back to kits, cheers for the recipe Neill. Will post results in a few weeks
Wondering how you went with this brew, as I'm also up to my forth brew and want to give this one a go. The first three I made were kits for Cascade Pale Ale, Leffe Blonde Clone & Bavarian Wheat which tasted like Hoegaarden. they all involved dropping the goo straight into the fermenter, and boiling the powdered malt extract, hops etc to add later. Is it correct that the only difference with this recipe is that the two tins of goo go into the pot with hops etc for boiling in lieu of the powdered malt extract, or have I missed something? It could be a dumb question but having made a few errors with my first batch from not asking enough questions, better to be safe :) :)
I've been going through this thread for a while and the more I read it the more I get thirsty. With both fermenters currently showing a vacancy, I might try two versions of this using some of the variations described throughout the thread.

Got this one in the fermenter as we speak. Added 180gm of crystal. Us05 yeast was a bit slow to start with, went strong for about a day now have minimal/ no action. Haven't checked gravity yet suspect it will be fine, but will keep an eye on it. Just wondering I'd you this recipe could be modified for an IPA? Plan on a small batch (11l) with 6l boil and adjusting extract and dex accordingly, add cent at 60 min and 30 min for bittering with similar hop sched for the rest. Adjusted to get about 60ibuS?

I made this recipe as my first all extract brew when I moved away from kits, it was a bloody beautiful drop. Strangely I haven't ever bothered to make up an AG recipe similar to it .. might have a muck about with that one day.

This recipe sounds awesome, I'll be collecting ingredients over the coming weeks and knocking this together when a fermenter free's up!

Righto so my gravity is down to about 1010. The og was off the charts when I started it which I thought at the time was due to inadequate mixing of wort and cooled water but it tasted odd from the fermenter, syrupy and sweet. The sample looked really thick and cloudy and the smell from fermenter was of very strong alcohol. Any ideas what this means? Contamination? Needs more time in fermenter?

How long has it been in? More time is always better well as long as it isn't over 4 weeks so dont stress
Has the gravity stabilised? Take a sample in two days time if it is still 1010 is probably finished ,even more likely if your SG was more than 1060
Did you taste your 1010 sample was it still sweet or had the hops taken over? It shouldn't taste sweet anymore? If is does a dry hop can hide it a bit.

I doubt there is an infection though you would smell/taste it straight away (if you took the lid off)

Thanks for the reply joeyjoejoe. It's been fermenting for 17days. Took another sample this morning and it's still 1010. The sample still tasted a little sweet, a but like off orange juice with a bit of passionfruit as well. I thought I got some fizz from it too but I think it was more bitterness on my tongue than any carbonation. I'll probably dry hop it in a day or two and bottle in about 5 days. What do ya reckon? I expected really hoppy smells from this one going by the thread but not getting much so far.

About to do this:

Coopers LME 1.5kg
Coopers Wheat ME 1.5kg
Crystal Medium 120 200g
Dextrose .5Kg
- 30g Centennial @30
- 30g Centennial @20
- 30g Centennial @10

OG 1.057
FG 1.012
IBU 63.7
Alc% 5.9

Has anyone done similar? I have Neills original in FV (2 weeks) ready to keg on weekend. Sample from hydrometer test was deliciious!!

Hi mall. I've done a single hop pale ale with light and wheat lme. It was a stone and wood pacific ale clone. So used galaxy hops with same hop sched but using kess hops, 10, 15, 20gms I think. Can't remember if the recipe was from here or another site. I did half without dry hip and half with 17gm (11l). The dry hopped version was better. While it tastes very close to the original a bit more body would improve it so the crystal is a good touch but I'd consider reducing it by about 1/4. Also recommend the dry hop. The single hope pales to my mind are about showcasing the hop so you can't go wrong with a dry hop in these beers. Interested to hear how you go

haha Im going to do this on the weekend

I have only ever done all grain from the get go so will be interesting to see how this turns out

is there a difference in dried and liquid malt?

was going to just use one can of light and one dark dreid malt extract, this will be 9.1SRM so well with in APA

extract APA (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.07 %
Colour (SRM): 9.1 (EBC): 17.9
Bitterness (IBU): 41.6 (Average)

39.47% Dry Malt Extract - Dark
39.47% Dry Malt Extract - Light
13.16% Dextrose
7.89% Carapils (Dextrine)

0.9 g/L Centennial (12.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Made this recipe 2 weeks back and really wasn't impressed with the notto at all. Has the same typical tart, tangy flavour from the last three times ive used it. Perhaps its my personal palate/taste preference thing, but the Notto really doesn't do the hops justice in this beer in my opinion. Great for dark or malt driven beers but for a fruity style ale??? Not in my opinion. The nature of the yeast and the dry flavour profile really seems to conflict with fruitier, hop driven kind of beers (and for the haters, this is just an opinion)

For this particular recipe, has anyone else had similar experiences when using Nottingham for this beer or tips to get a cleaner flavour profile from it??? Smells absolutely gorgeous until you take a sip and then get that lingering really dry tang. Still quite drinkable but not what i'd call a crowd pleaser.

I just tasted mine tonight - not all that impressed really but I think something went wrong along the line somewhere, I was expecting some pretty hoppy smells from the fermenter and didn't really get it. It may get better with age but at the moment it tasted ok but a slight taste of off orange juice - also had a syrupy / wine like mouth feel to it. I should also say that I steeped 180g or crystal which could be the culprit too. This is my first time using amarillo so could also be that it's just not what I was expecting, I dry hopped half the batch with Zythos so will see how that goes as well and report back.

I did a version of this the other week:

2 x cans of morgans lager light malt extract
400g Dextrose
100g LDME
20g Green bullet @ 30
40g Amarillo @ 20
40g Amarillo @ 10

Us-05 yeast

Fermenting at the moment.. will report back

Latest posts

Back