Esb 15l Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dane

Reaction score
Just got back from the Local HBS - picking up some ingredients for GMK Ginger Beer. I saw a couple of the 15L Fresh Wort Kits on the ground and enquired about them. After a couple of drinks from what he had on tap (Amber Ale) I decided to give them a go and pick up the Lager kit.

Looking forward to a big brew day tommorow - the ginger beer and the 15L Lager Kit. The Amber Ale seemed to have a nice body to it and I'm looking forward in trying out the Larger.

The kits seem pretty straight forward - any changes/advice/feedback from others that have used the kits?

Have a good weekend everyone! :D

EDIT: I just read ont heir website about after bottling, you can just top up with another batch and fill up the water - has anyone done this? Run into any problems with it? Sounds too easy!

I brewed an extract IPA using some whitelabs east cal ale yeast a month or two back. After the brew had finished I racked that to secondary, then just pitched a 15L ESB APA wort ontop of the yeast trub, topped up with 6 litres of cool water and voila!

I've tried one bottle of it sofar and it tastes great (the APA). My IPA unfortunately has a weird smokey flavour though :( Its still perfectly drinkable at least.

One cool thing is once you've used the 15L wort you've got a spare 15L sealable water container :)

Being lazier than a three toed sloth I'm a big fan of using yeast cake. However the entire cake isn't needed - for a 20 litre batch, 1/2 cup -1/4 cup is plenty.

It is possible to overpitch - ie too much yeast but I don't know what the rate would have to be or even if an entire cake is too much. (how's that for a definitive answer;-)

I like the way that fermentation takes off quickly using a good glob of sludge.

cheers
reg

I've never tried the fresh wort kits.
Although I'm keen to try the new Irish Red Ale one.

Cheers,
Doc

Heres my take on the ESB 15L "American Pale Ale" fresh wort kit:

Pours clear amber with a medium white bubbly head. Not much retention or lacing, may be due to the use of sugar in bottling though (dried wheat malt extract may have been a better choice). Great floral hop aroma with fruity tones coming through. Smooth mouthfeel with fruity malt taste. Aftertaste of citrus and grapefruit (cascade hops?) with a hint of tingly bitterness. Great drop.

Doc said:

Cheers,
Doc
Kegged my Irish Red the other day. Will give it a week or so before tapping it and will let you know how it turns out. Tasted bloody great from the fermenter :p .

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

I'm keen to try the Irish red, and the stout

would the wyeast 1084 irish ale yeast be the best for both of these, or would you suggest other varieties

I usually only use Whitelab's WLP004 Irish Ale yeast in my stouts and in the Irish Red mentioned above. I find it is excellent for these beers. I have never tried wyeast's 1084, as I don't really like smack-packs.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Doc said:

Cheers,
Doc

Hey Doc,

Did you tried the Irish Red? If so, how'd it go? Was it ok in the keg with CO2, instead of the recommended nitrogen? Was it similar to Kilkenny? Did you use dried or liquid yeast?

Also, have anyone tried the Amber Ale? Is it similar to the JS Amber Ale?

Cheers,
Jase.

Doc said:

Cheers,
Doc

Hey Doc,

Did you try the Irish Red? If so, how'd it go? Was it ok in the keg with CO2, instead of the recommended nitrogen? Was it similar to Kilkenny? Did you use dried or liquid yeast?

Cheers,
Jase.

I tried a couple of Grumpys fresh wort , before they realized sending it with their freight free thingy was costing them more than the kits cost me :p :p

I had IPA and English Bitter , so easy and not a bad brew at all

Great to do between AGs

not anymore :(

What is the Lager like? or would i be better off doing an extract brew for summer?

Jase said:
I've done the Amber, it was my first brew actually, made up completely as per instructions, with Safale 04. Came out a bit watery, not as much body as I'd have liked. If I was doing it again, I'd add less water. Not a bad beer, drinkable, but not great. Wouldn't say it's very close to JS Amber.

Also it doesn't feel like brewing, more like 'home fermenting'. :D Good if you're short on time and want a quick brew I guess, but I'd rather have a bit more control over the wort I think. :)

[Edit: I see you're in Sydney, if you like you can have a bottle to taste. :)]

Jase,

Yes I gave the Irish Red a go. It was a good drop. Put it on tap for my sons christening. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.
It isn't really like Kilkenny. I used liquid yeast, but don't recall off the top of my head which one. Can check tonight if you wish.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

It's fine. Just wanted to know what an all-grain brew tastes like.

Not sure if I'll go the Irish Red or Amber Ale.

Cheers,
Jase

My LHB had an ESB fresh wort Pilsner on keg the other week, tasted bloody good. I bought one to try, just waiting for a free fermenter.

Problem is, the FWK are 15L and have a gravity of 1050

so, either have a small batch (not worth the money) or a bigger batch of weak {shudder} beer.

Personally, I would do a minimash to beef up the total extract in the FWK, or boil a kilo of extract with some suitable hops, nothing wrong with a small (relative) amount of extract, sheeit life is too short, just to beef the FWK up a bit.

You still have a complete or nearly completely AG beer with little effort

Jovial Monk

the esb fresh wort bock is good im drinking it now

News,

ESB have a Belgian Ale FWK. Tried it at Leons at Randwick on monday. Has the raspberries(?) in it too. He added 2 litres of water and got a SG of 1043...hummmm.
Tasted good....for my first belgian. Fruit while in the mouth but hops take over in the aftertaste. Fermented with WLP510.

Jase,

If you want to try some AG beers PM me a contact number and we can organize a get together to swap a bottle or two. (Rubes,Doc have had my beers)

Back