Esb 15l Fresh Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And bloody good they were too Linz! The Oatmeal stout was a ripper.

Got any more ;)

Grumpy's wort kits are 17 litres of 1.060 wort.
Scottish oatmeal stout will be out next.

tdh

Hello Thomas

Hi Batz, have finally found may way through the maze to the AHB site!
What's brewing?

Jovial_Monk said:
Problem is, the FWK are 15L and have a gravity of 1050

so, either have a small batch (not worth the money) or a bigger batch of weak {shudder} beer.
I think that ESB should provide more information on their packaging concerning the effect on gravity of the water additions.

People need to be able to make informed choices in this area. e.g. I currently have an ESB 15 litre wort kit on the go. I initially added 5 litres of water as directed by the info on the label. I had envisaged a regular 'full-strength' brew and if I'd considered gravity reductions I wouldn't have added the water.

However if I'd wanted a lower gravity brew, I would have certainly added water. My point is that I'm not given the choice by the kit producer - as I'm not provided with the necessary information.

I'd assumed that the 15 litre wort kits were at a gravity such that addition of 5 litres would be likely to result in a terminal gravity of around 1.050 (or thereabouts - depending on whatever other variables might affect final gravity).

I think it's pretty poor that this sort of info isn't contained on the packaging. I wonder if there's a role for forums such as AHB & *** to lobby ESB to make improvements in this area.

cheers from disgruntled reg

tdh said:
Grumpy's wort kits are 17 litres of 1.060 wort.
Scottish oatmeal stout will be out next.

tdh
Hello tdh - where abouts on the grumpys website are the fresh wort kits?

cheers
reg

I made the ESB Fresh Wort Bock last year, using the White Labs marzen/oktoberfest yeast. It actually said on the container to not add water if you wanted a "real" bock. I baulked at first, as this would only give me 15L of Bock, minus the volume left with the yeast cake, after 2 weeks of fermentation and 6 weeks of lagering, tieing up my fermenter all that time. However, i went ahead with it and it turned out to be a pretty special beer, malty, complex and true to style. Everyone loved it. I think in the end it was worth it, but it's such a shame that ESB can't make the wort that much higher in gravity, so I can add the 5L of water and still get a "real" bock.

Reg, your point is valid and ESB need to wake up to themselves.

Cheers - Snow.

The best way to lobby ESB about this:
1. Send email.
2. Vote with your wallet.

Obviously the fresh wort kits are very popular. Every retailer I've asked about them reckon they walk out the door. I've brewed one and tasted 2 others. All were good, but as everyone is finding, if you follow the instructions, and top up to 20L, you get a watery brew.

If people stop buying them, ESB and the St Peters brewery would have to wonder why. They might go so far as to read forums like this and notice what the enthusiastic brewers are saying.

However nothing is going to change unless Mel finds out what people think.

Hello all,

I think I was probably more disgruntled than I otherwise might have been because...

I haven't had time to brew an AG lately (how's that for having my priorities arse about?), but I'm setting up a draft system and wanted a tasty drop on tap.

So there you go - I really should have had a trawl through the archives before bunging water in the kit.

Time to drop a fresh one (undiluted) on the yeast cake I'd say.

cheers
reg

RegBadgery said:
Hello all,

I think I was probably more disgruntled than I otherwise might have been because...

I haven't had time to brew an AG lately (how's that for having my priorities arse about?), but I'm setting up a draft system and wanted a tasty drop on tap.

So there you go - I really should have had a trawl through the archives before bunging water in the kit.

Time to drop a fresh one (undiluted) on the yeast cake I'd say.

cheers
reg

So Reg,

You won't add the extra 5L next time, only make up to 15L?????

Jase

i will make the pilsener next week. any suggestions on the volume of water to add if any?? any experience??

Bobby,

Do you have a refractometer?? If so, open the lid on the kit, just before doing the brew, take a sample and do a reading and see the gravity, then decide to or not to add water.
Otherwise, by reading the previous posts ,I'd hazzard a guess that ALL the kits are around the 1050 mark. So in saying that I would say NO to adding any water.

As for the experience with these kits..............No..........None( I'm being honest)

Jase said:
So Reg,

You won't add the extra 5L next time, only make up to 15L?????

Jase
No Jase - I reckon I'll just try bunging in the kit without additional water and see how it goes.

I'd say another reason to get back into brewing - after moving house I still haven't setup the brewery - I really must get out of the compost heap and back into the mash tun. :)

cheers
reg

Back