English Mild - Dark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mild in alcohol VERSUS mild in bitterness, mild in flavour, mild in body.

Low alcohol, full-bodied ales are increasingly being referred to as MIlds and are much more flavourful than traditional Milds.

The BJCP Style Guidelines were developed to assist in categorising for competition. They are less than 25 years old and are flexible. I expect to see full-bodied low ABV ales (probably under milds) listed after their next review.

I, too, lived in England (Oxford) for a period. The local Mild was from Morrell's (r.i.p.). It was dark, full-bodied, slightly sweet up front and finished with a drying bitterness from hops and astringency from the roasted malts.

barclays-thing.gif

Stolen from http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/whitbread-mild-ales-in-1830s.html

We were arguing about what now?

Edit: Formatting is a bitch

Good work, Guy.
Love that site for historical recipes and his research is impeccable.
Back then Mild referred to the mild bittering in these beers?

No, it referred to the age when it was consumed. Mild was beer consumed fresh, keeping beer was aged. Some of those milds were hopped like crazy. I've got a recipe for a William Younger's 1853 Mild from that site which has an OG of 1.114 and 90 IBUs.

My point exactly. To suggest that milds are one thing and one thing only is ludicrous. One of the most loose/open to interpretation 'styles' I can think of.

Hi All,

With an OG of 1.040 and checked it last night and it was @ 1014, after another day at 20c there is still a massive krausen formed. This wyeast 1469 is said to be a high floculation yeast, shoul di start to see that drop out soon?

From Grain to Glass in 9 days! That included a 3 day cold crash at 4c.

View attachment English Mild 1.docx

Went into the keg last night and is only moderately cabonated, will leave it till the weekend for another one.

On first tasting as I havent had a english mild before, its a good beer. The malt is forward and the black patent at 1.5% hasnt imparted any notable flavour only colour. The hops help balance the malt but are not the show, I think I have brewed it to style.

I mashed at 67c/45m, 72c/10m, 78c/15m and the final gravity of the beer was 1.010. I agree that mashing higher at 69/70 for 30 mins would allow for that malt to really push through as the flavour and thats what it needs. To really taste that mild malt mixed with the small portions of pale, dark crystal and the pale chocolate malt...... a re-make will be on the cards.

Now I can see why the higher mash temp would make the difference. :super:
Mild Ale profile with this at

Ca - 50
Mg - 4
N - 37 ( town water is 34 )
So4 - 40
Cl - 65
Bicarbonate - 45
Total Hardness - 139
Alkalinity - 37
R A - 0
pH - 5.6

Thanks for the input and help.

I just wanted to throw in my 2c, even though you have brewed it and are enjoying it.

I love UK brown malt in my milds, it is toasty and just works in that zone really really well, esp with carbonates to smooth it out and avoid any overt acidity. I also really enjoy using caraaroma, and UK dark crystal and pale choc is a must for me.

I have a recipe on the DB which won me my first gold, and I have only entered a couple of comps since, but I keep using variations on it.

I know it can look like a kitchen sink type of brew, but I really think that extra layers of grain complexity in this kind of beverage goes fantastically, especially as it is the one beer I prefer with a single start addition of EKG to bitter.

barry_humphries,0.jpg

And I mash high, so I obviously prefer an English Dark Barry.

Bizier said:
I have a recipe on the DB which won me my first gold, and I have only entered a couple of comps since, but I keep using variations on it.
Hi Bizier, up at 4am on AHB, good stuff....lol

I took a look through the DB and couldnt locate the recipe, can you attached the link?

Haha, I have used a lot more ingredients since then. I would probably be more bold with the spec quantities as well.

Bizier said:
Haha, I have used a lot more ingredients since then. I would probably be more bold with the spec quantities as well.
oh do share? what is your latest DEM recipe?

This was my last, was a while ago (haven't been homebrewing much). I loved it. OK, I threw in late kettle tett.
Fermented that with Notto (for immediate drinking), 1187 & 469, latter two significantly better.

It does demonstrate that you can load it with whatever you want and have a tasty low alc beverage.
Sorry, no ferment data available other than memory of myself and others finding it tasty.
I remember it being on the 4% ABV line.

This is a historic example of a Barry, bang on centre of style.

My Riled Up Mild Rye
--------------------------
Boil Size: 72.6 l
Post Boil Volume: 70.7 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 66.0 l
Estimated OG: 9.9 Plato
Estimated Color: 38.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
6.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
4.0 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 3 36.0 %
3.0 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 27.0 %
1.0 kg Brown Malt (Simpsons) (295.5 EBC) Grain 5 9.0 %
1.0 kg Caramel Rye (Weyermann) (69.0 EBC) Grain 6 9.0 %
1.0 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 7 9.0 %
1.0 kg Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (19.7 EBC) Grain 8 9.0 %
0.1 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 9 0.9 %
30.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 17.5 IBUs
50.00 g Tettnang [3.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.5 IBUs
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 12 -
Total Grain Weight: 11.1 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Heat to 67.0 C over 0 min 67.0 C 10 min
Mash Step Heat to 71.0 C over 5 min 71.0 C 30 min
Mash Step Heat to 76.0 C over 5 min 76.0 C 10 min

ED: I do know I did not hit this temp, mashed in too thick and had to dilute with cool water, so more conversion than anticipated.

Latest posts

Back