English Mild - Dark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
This weekend Im making my first dark English Mild and was wondering what temps to Mash at and why? If someone who has made these let me know which you found to be the best, that would be swell. :)

I was thinking of the following 68c/60m, 72c/10m & 78c/15m, sparge then boil.

Recipe

OG - 1040
ABV - 4.2%
Ibu - 25
EBC - 76
Boil - 90m
Eff - 80%
Vol - 21Lt

Malts - all TF UK

Mild Ale Malt - 86.5%
Pale Crystal Malt - 5.5%
Dark Crystal Malt - 4.1%
Pale Chocolate Malt - 2.4%
Black Patent - 1.5%

Hops

EKG @ 60min and 10mins

Yeast

Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire

Ferment at 20c

From a read through the posts on those threads it appears that a good temp is between 68 - 70c and only for 30mins. This will create alot of unfermentables and a higher FG which in turn makes the beer sweeter.

Is it right to say that the Pale Chocolate Malt and the Black Patent at combined 4% of teh grist will balance the higher FG and sweetness for overall taste/flavour ?

I was thinking that I could run with a 69c mash for 45 mins for a first try, that would get me to about 1.015, middle range of the expected 1.010 ( style guide ) and the 1.020 FG known from a 68c/30min mash, yes no? :blink:

The sweetness will come from the crystal malt rather than the high FG. Dextrins aren't particularly sweet so high FG isn't particularly sweet unless it is high becuase the beer has not attenuated properly (undigested maltose etc rather than dextrins).

I have found my recent batch which was 70 deg for 30 is the best. Recipe looks good although no real need for an extended boil. 60-75 minutes should be ample for this kind of beer (I always boil for at least 15 minutes before the first hop addition).

You want low alcohol but big flavour and body so finishing 1018 - 1020 is ideal. Even mashing that high, 1469 will have no trouble getting from 1040-1020 and below. Mine that I have done at 68 have ended up around 1016. Recipe looks good but I like a bit of toast in mine so something like biscuit or victory would be a good inclusion.

thanks Manticle, I was hoping you would see this and give me a little guidance B)

My 1469 Wyeast is dated 3rd Sept and said to be 65%, at such a low OG i feel i wont need a starter for this?

manticle said:
The sweetness will come from the crystal malt rather than the high FG. Dextrins aren't particularly sweet so high FG isn't particularly sweet unless it is high becuase the beer has not attenuated properly (undigested maltose etc rather than dextrins).

I have found my recent batch which was 70 deg for 30 is the best. Recipe looks good although no real need for an extended boil. 60-75 minutes should be ample for this kind of beer (I always boil for at least 15 minutes before the first hop addition).

You want low alcohol but big flavour and body so finishing 1018 - 1020 is ideal. Even mashing that high, 1469 will have no trouble getting from 1040-1020 and below. Mine that I have done at 68 have ended up around 1016. Recipe looks good but I like a bit of toast in mine so something like biscuit or victory would be a good inclusion.
Finishing at 1018-1020?? sounds under attenuated to me. I'm going to be shot down here, but a common flaw in home brew if beers being under attenuated.Milds should be light, easy drinking beers not full bodied. ...... OK ready for the onslaught of abuse......

Full bodied mild is what I like. It's super easy drinking and it's a long way from underattenuated.

You want thin, brew thin. I don't. My advice is pertinent to those who also don't.

manticle said:
Full bodied mild is what I like. It's super easy drinking and it's a long way from underattenuated.

You want thin, brew thin. I don't. My advice is pertinent to those who also don't.
Fair enough if you like beer that way, but it's not a really a mild in that case.

On what are you basing your incredibly narrow definition of Mild?

If it's the BJCP, please don't.

manticle said:
On what are you basing your incredibly narrow definition of Mild?

If it's the BJCP, please don't.
I knew this would happen, so this will be my final post.......

I lived in engalnd for 30 odd years, drank lots of beer including milds and I have never ever come across a mild that finishes that high. They should be light bodied ales, easy to drink. And yes the BJCP are guidelines and are there to guide you and agree you dont have to stick 100% to them, but a SG at around 1.040 FG 1.020 is not a mild.

The OP is asking advice on making a mild. If someone asked advice on brewing an ESB you wouldn't suggest using a lager yeast because you like it that way, because guess what....... it wouldn't be an ESB. it could still make a good beer though.

My mild isn't hard to drink and if you look at the many, many historical definitions of mild you'll see it's pretty broad. High grav, low grav, pale, dark, highly hopped, low hopped, etc. What I'm suggesting is so far from putting a lager yeast in an esb that I'm surprised you'd even make the comparison. You suggested 1018-1020 is underattenuated which is plain bollocks in this context.

Maybe you drank beers called mild in the uk for 30 years and would rather call mine Barry. You can do so. I'll call it a mild under one of the many, many definitions of the style - a low hopped, low alcohol, young, malty, flavoursome ale. It's uk because I use uk malts and uk yeast.

How did you measure the finishing gravity of the ones you drank in the UK?

Being the first time i have made Mild and for the record, i dont think i have tried a commercial style Mild to know what Im expecting....I went with a 67c mash for 45 mins with a 70 min boil. I had a plus 1 on preboil gravity with 1035 and should see a 1042 post boil go into the FV.

Maybe after i have had this in the glass it will tell if I myself will be doing another one and going for 70c/30m rest an get that full bodied, full flavoured beer that Manticle has made.

Haha beer styles, the new religion!!. I must be honest I like my milds mashed low for a low fg but that's just me, and if you like them mashed high, then mash high mild brother. Jebus loves milds of all fg's!!

Back