Recipe help Northern English Brown Ale Pls.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this style, so be gentle pls.

The one thing I'm unsure about is the amount of crystal to use, I guess I'm not after a crazy dark or strong nutty beer.
Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ordinary Bitter
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Northern English Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.84 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
23.00 l               Gold Coast Water                         Water         1        -             
3.00 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC)           Grain         2        58.3 %        
2.00 kg               Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC)                    Grain         3        38.8 %        
0.15 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC)    Grain         4        2.9 %         
25.00 g               Target [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min          Hop           5        19.9 IBUs     
1.22 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        6        -             
20.00 g               East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - Boil Hop           7        3.8 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         8        -             
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)        Other         9        -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.15 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 13.48 l of water at 73.1 C          66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 19.57l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just me but id knock back the vienna malt to around 15% or less use a medium english crystal around 10% and use just enough tf pale choc to get you to the required colour range. and definitely change out the yeast for a british yeast the esters are important to getting an english brown right.id also be tempted to up the whirlpool charge to 50g or so and use a small ekg dry hop as well.

First of all the recipe looks like it will make a tasty beer.

If you are after a reasonable attempt at an NEB (whether entering a comp or just inspired by smith's nutbrown or hobgoblin)
then a couple of things stand out.

First and maybe most important - yeast. Good UK style needs good UK yeast. 05 is too neutral.

Second - I'd use all uk pale as a base. Vienna does give some nutty toasty notes but uk pale like golden promise, maris or perle will suit better. Add more toasty goodness with a shade of biscuit or victory if desired.

Third - that doesn't look like it will be especially brown. Maybe a bit of brown malt or pale choc (not overdone) to get some colour. You don't want super roasty but choc in small amounts tends to add a dry edge to the palate.

Little bit of calcium chloride won't go astray.

I'd also consider dropping the gravity a shade, depending on what fg you expect.

As said though - recipe unchanged equals nice beer.

Well big thanks for the input,

Plenty of food for thought, but what I might do is take a little of Manticles advice and leave the recipe as is, brew that and research some more on what I exactly what I want to make.

I come from a land of Pils and German Lagers, but it's time for change.

So, given the recipe as it is, what style would it fall into?

left as is it should make a nice drinkable pale ale of sorts. if nothing else i would still use a brit yeast rather than the uso5. and hit it with a dry hop.

I definitely agree with using a UK yeast. Not sure whether white laws on Wyeast is your poison, but one of the London of Thames strains should do very well.

If you only have dry available, I can vouch for MJ's Empire Ale (though will be bready/nutty) while the London/Thames varieties will by fruitier and drier.

I will change the yeast, thanks for the suggestions.

I only listed 05 as I have that on hand.

Woth a uk yeast, you'd be pretty close to best bitter or English pale.

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
13 SRM

Maris otter 4.42kg
Special roast 340g
Victory 227g
Crystal 40L 227g
Pale Choc 113g

Bitter to 25IBUs

Use Danstar Nottingham if you use dry yeast.

Latest posts

Back