• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

english lessons..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you don't have to learn German (or Turkish* for that matter) where the main verb comes at the end of a hundred word sentence so that when you get to the verb you have completely forgotten the rest of the sentence. Germans have an extra RAM chip in their brains for temporary storage :p

yesterday while on the way to the station a camel in the main street just up from the old mosque that was reputedly built in the time of the Ottoman Empire during the reign of Sultan Osman after his return from the Bulgars and before his eventual death at the hands of the Saracen may Allah strike them and their race with retribution I saw. :beerbang:

Bribie G you mean German is SOV subject object verb, ie "I beer drink"?
English is SVO subject verb object ie "I drink beer"
What about Italian??

in Italian is SVO "I drink beer" "io bevo birra" but sometimes we can above the S because it's "implied"....also because the V change for every subject:
I drink--------io bevo
you drink----tu bevi
he drinks---lui beve
we drink......noi beviamo
you drink.....voi bevete (in italian we have two types of you, singolar is TU and plural VOI)
they drink....loro bevono

so as you can see all our verbs are different and for that thing you can understand the subject....

onother different is that in english you say "the black beer" and we say "the beer black" "la birra nera" and I supposed that is the same in german..
so sometimes when you read me you can find something to swap!

eheh

English is good from the point of view that it resulted from a collision between Anglo Saxon (lots of grammatical word endings) and Norman French (shitloads of grammatical word endings). By the time the language had stabilised in the time of Shakespeare, most of the grammatical endings had been "worn away" so the only ones left are "he/she drinks" and a few other remnants.

However we have a lot of Germanic Strong Verbs such as

I run
I ran
I have run

I go
I went
I have gone

Not that it worries a lot of Australian colloquial speakers who often say "you could of went there" (you could HAVE GONE there). Even the media are guilty as in "The ship sunk off Java" instead of "the ship SANK off Java".

our equivalent of TU is still found in some dialects. For example I can say to my Yorkshire cousin "where's tha going?"

We mostly use Anglo Saxon words for everyday things and Norman French or Latin derived words for more formal or "high class" things.

Anglo Saxon Sheep, French mutton (mouton) - the meat actually served to the lord of the castle
Cow, Beef (French boef)
Swine/Pig , Pork (French Porc)

I see / I observe
I drink / I imbibe
I eat / I ingest

TNT650R said:
onother different is that in english you say "the black beer" and we say "the beer black" "la birra nera" and I supposed that is the same in german..
No, in German it's the same as in English, schwarzes Bier (and therefore Schwarzbier)

But we say three and twenty instead of twenty three.

The italian verbs are very much like latin (for obvious reasons), so pretty easy to pick up on for anyone who learnt it at school (which I assume, not many have in Australia, so it might take a bit to get one's head around that).

English is linked to the Germanic language strain,one of the 4 main strains (Germanic,Italic,Balto and Indo-iranian,there are nine) the of Indo European group.English has many loan words and grammar conventions from other languages due to a couple of thousand years of war.
French,Italian and Spanish are linked to the Italic or Romanance strain of Indo European languages.
As general rule the format of the these languages are
English and German are SVO ie " I drink Beer"
French and Italian are SOV,however exeptions do exist across all languages.
In some situations they work in a SVO format where a pronoun (I,You,He,She etc) functions as the object
Arabic,Albanian can be VSO or VOS so I guess that would be "No drink I beer" or "No drink beer I"
SOV is the most common structure for languages on the planet.SVO is second most common with VSO/VOS languages being the third largest group.
But these rules are not set in stone and execption can be the rule.
Anyway enough of boring linguistics my brain is hurting,I'm off for a beer

German is mostly SOV but can be SVO as in "Ich trinke Bier
but:
"Ich habe Bier getrunken"

Italian is more like English : "IO bevo birra" and past perfect : "Ho bevuto birra.

English (Anglo Saxon) tended to be SOV as there were gramattical endings to indicate what was the subject and what was the object: "Beowulf Grendel slayed" is ambiguous in modern English but back then the word endings would have indicated who wasted whom. But as the endings got worn away it was necessary to use word order to indicate S and O, by separating them with the verb, so nowadays "Beowulf Slayed Grendel". So we gradually migrated to SVO.

In poetic literature it's still quite flexible of course "Beer I drank, women I loved and many a Holden I totalled ere my time at Long Bay"

Typo on German being SVO as German seems equally uses both.
Got this from Wikipedia
German is partially SOV. For simple verbs, it is SVO, but for compound verb structures, the auxiliary, which is a finite (ie. inflected) verb, appears in second position while the non-finite verb (infinitive or participle) appears at the end of the clause.
In German and in Dutch, SVO in main clauses coexists with SOV in subordinate clauses and a change in syntax – for instance, by bringing an adpositional phrase to the front of the sentence for emphasis – may also dictate the use of VSO.
Cunning linguists
need a beer and sticking to my safe zone 日本語 which is SOV 私はビールを飲む。

After that ^, I may need to join you in those English lessons TNT :blink: .

TNT650R said:
Hi guys..sorry if it isn't a beer post...
But maybe someone can help me!
As you know I am in sydney at the moment and I decide to improve my english(just reading this ad you could understand the reason!)
So I m looking for someone who can help me,maybe someone of you,your girl your friend anyone.
I can swap with italian lessons or I will pay.
For the moment I need simple grammar lessons (e.g when use the past instead than..) and some conversation for improve my speak..
So I m looking for something easy and cheaper..that quite every one can do..instead in the future I will need something more professional.
Thanks

If you want to do it for free, find the School of Languages department in the arts faculties in Universities. They all have them. USYD, UNSW and UTS are all located in or close to Sydney city. You'll find noticeboards full of signs from people either wanting to practice professional and/or conversational languages with native speakers or offering lessons for a fee. If you put up a sign that you're willing to teach Italian (list any qualifications you have etc) in exchange for English lessons, and your phone number you'll find someone. Classes for semester 1 have just finished for the year though it might be quiet until about the end of July when students are back.

Hey if you're single and not old enough to be the father of a Uni student you could even get lucky. A lot of Aussie girls are hot for Italian men :p

Yeah some of those guys are pretty hot!

tanukibrewer said:
French and Italian are SOV,however exeptions do exist across all languages.
mmh no in Italian is SVO:
I drink beer--> io bevo la birra
I eat an apple--> io mangio una mela
I prefer dark beer ---> io preferisco le birre scure
bradsbrew said:
After that ^, I may need to join you in those English lessons TNT :blink: .
you can join with me in the university of hot chicks!!!
phoneyhuh said:
If you want to do it for free, find the School of Languages department in the arts faculties in Universities. They all have them. USYD, UNSW and UTS are all located in or close to Sydney city. You'll find noticeboards full of signs from people either wanting to practice professional and/or conversational languages with native speakers or offering lessons for a fee. If you put up a sign that you're willing to teach Italian (list any qualifications you have etc) in exchange for English lessons, and your phone number you'll find someone. Classes for semester 1 have just finished for the year though it might be quiet until about the end of July when students are back.

Hey if you're single and not old enough to be the father of a Uni student you could even get lucky. A lot of Aussie girls are hot for Italian men :p
that's a bloody good idea!!!!!!!(ahahah bloody is a funny aussie word!!)

Latest posts

Back