Earthing kettle element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tex N Oz said:
Just curious as my house had ZERO RCDs when I moved in. didn't have room to add so I just put a massive 45Amp RCD whole house in the meter panel. Shits me to no end when one thing trips the whole damn house though. Decided to do a major upgrade to 250A 3Ø and rewire the entire house as all the old PVC is breaking down.

Now I've got enough room to add those individual RCD breakers!! Good times!!

attachicon.gif
IMG_0504.JPG

Most domestic supplies here have 65A RCD. Dont know why you went 45A.....

Supply authorities allow 65A max load for domestic premises

Ducatiboy stu said:
Most domestic supplies here have 65A RCD. Dont know why you went 45A.....

Supply authorities allow 65A max load for domestic premises
Because it was free!! :ph34r:

Barge said:
What does that allow?
More suited to things like motors and industrial gear, big aircon and fridge units that need lots of power...we are talking over 20A load

3phase domestically brings problems of load balancing between the phases. Commercial buildings will almost allways have 3phase.

It is basically 3 x 240v supplies at 120* phase difference to give you 415v ( bit of math involved there....3 x 240 doesnt not appear to equal 415v )

When you look at the power lines in your street they are 3phase, but what they do is run each house down the street off a different phase

240 X the square root of 3 shows line to line potential difference of 415V RMS...
YES!!!! First time in my life I got to say that and wasn't in the company of a huge lot of nerds!!

Tex N Oz said:
First time in my life I got to say that and wasn't in the company of a huge lot of nerds!!
Don't be so sure. Year 12 physics is starting to come back to me!

Tex N Oz said:
After a few beers I feel incredibly smart... and witty, and awesome like a ninja. :ph34r:
Been a long week... few beers at the pub and a glass of red in my hand

To tired be feeling awsome, smart and ninja like

But i will say this

IF you know nothing about electricity, or you just googled how to do it, do your self a favor and leave it alone. Leave it to those who know what they are doing

The internet does NOT teach you the finer points .

Dont **** with electricity. IT CAN & WILL KILL YOU

It still scares the shit out of me after all these years....mind you I have been bitten a number of time to no longer enjoy it...its not fun... or is it like licking a 9v battery

I hear you. Definitely getting the work checked by a licensed electrician. Just trying to get ideas from people who understand the application.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Been a long week... few beers at the pub and a glass of red in my hand

To tired be feeling awsome, smart and ninja like

But i will say this

IF you know nothing about electricity, or you just googled how to do it, do your self a favor and leave it alone. Leave it to those who know what they are doing

The internet does NOT teach you the finer points .

Dont **** with electricity. IT CAN & WILL KILL YOU

It still scares the shit out of me after all these years....mind you I have been bitten a number of time to no longer enjoy it...its not fun... or is it like licking a 9v battery
It's that metallic copper taste you have for a week after a really bad hit..
It's nice to be retired!! BTW I've got a Fluke 1550B and a Fluke 434 PQA I'm about to put on eBay. (Gettin the word out). Got pictures of you know of anyone interested...

My goto meter is the good old Fluke 87

What a work horse. You just cant kill them with the rubber case. Lost count the amount of time over the years I dropped it on hard surfaces from off ladders

Mind you they are not cheap, but the best you can get B)

Ducatiboy stu said:
My goto meter is the good old Fluke 87

What a work horse. You just cant kill them with the rubber case. Lost count the amount of time over the years I dropped it on hard surfaces from off ladders

Mind you they are not cheap, but the best you can get B)
If I could hit Like This a million times I would have!!
My FAVOURITE meter of all time!!! Nothing before or since can touch the durability and reliability of the ole 87.
LOVE that meter!!
You can see the 189 sitting there almost brand new and untouched? There's a reason..
Even the screen of my 87 has slowly cracked over the last 10 years but I don't care. Even at 20 years old it's my favourite and it will be a sad day when it gets retired..

IMG_0505.JPGIMG_0506.JPG

Latest posts

Back