Earthing kettle element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barge, years ago when I used a kettle element it was from a SS kettle and one whole side of it was the earth connection as it was tightened into place. Double insulated appliances even if they have a three pronged plug usually don't have a wire running through them and most have only two prongs. If the person in the pic has put a washer on both sides of that pot it wont be earthed. The elements the home brew shops sell for people to install themselves only have one washer to seal the fitting the other side is the earth. Like people are saying an unearthed setup will work fine until a fault rears up, and with cheap elements in kettles getting cheaper and cheaper in quality these days it will probably be sooner than later. Running a ss bolt through the pot and fitting a tab on the earth wire to fit on it would be a better idea.

Just to clarify. The washer between the kettle, element and enclosute would be stainless steel. I figured this would be enough to earth it. There would be a silicone washer that would sit inside (as in a smaller diameter) the washer. This would ensure no water can leak out.

FWIW, I'm thinking the 4mm screw through both the enclosure and the pot and then earthed would be a safer idea.

Barge said:
Just to clarify. The washer between the kettle, element and enclosute would be stainless steel. I figured this would be enough to earth it. There would be a silicone washer that would sit inside (as in a smaller diameter) the washer. This would ensure no water can leak out.

FWIW, I'm thinking the 4mm screw through both the enclosure and the pot and then earthed would be a safer idea.
Your earth wire making good solid contact with your vessel is the important point. If you go with a bolt through the pot use a spring washer on the nut to keep it tight..

IMG_0489.JPG

Here you can see the tiny wire that grounds a 3.6kW element for the hot water elements that I use.
I guess Rheem has engineered this is all that's required to make it safe. Makes sense as the heater itself is also grounded.

IMG_0490.JPG

This is the picture of element as it's stripped from the mounting assembly. I'll modify this and make a completely water-proof and sealed tri-clover style mountable element that is completely grounded.

Tex N Oz said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0490.JPG

This is the picture of element as it's stripped from the mounting assembly. I'll modify this and make a completely water-proof and sealed tri-clover style mountable element that is completely grounded.
Tex, if you pushed the element in the pic through the stones and into the ground about 75mm you'd have a pretty good ground there. It would be even better if the soil was moist :icon_cheers:

real_beer said:
Tex, if you pushed the element in the pic through the stones and into the ground about 75mm you'd have a pretty good ground there. It would be even better if the soil was moist :icon_cheers:
Under the stones is a concrete slab which is a very poor conductor.. :p

real_beer said:
Mate your a genius! If Barge makes up a pair of concrete boots too use when brewing they could help insulate him from an unearthed pot and maybe save serious injury, brilliant. :lol:
Problem solved!!! Then he can go for a quick swim in the pool when he's finished!! B)

real_beer said:
Mate your a genius! If Barge makes up a pair of concrete boots too use when brewing they could help insulate him from an unearthed pot and maybe save serious injury, brilliant. :lol:
I was just gunna wear me thongs mate.

concrete-shoes.JPG

Well here's a good compromise. Sandal like comfort with the safety of concrete insulation. Nevermind the rebar...

Tex N Oz said:
Problem solved!!! Then he can go for a quick swim in the pool when he's finished!! B)

Barge said:
I was just gunna wear me thongs mate.

Tex N Oz said:
attachicon.gif
concrete-shoes.JPG

Well here's a good compromise. Sandal like comfort with the safety of concrete insulation. Nevermind the rebar...
:lol: :lol: :lol: good stuff boys.

Making some progress.

I have an enclosure and cable gland sorted. Just need to drill the kettle, hook it up and get it checked.

In the meantime I thought I'd check with you blokes if I'm good to go with an RCD. I'm pretty sure the 10A, 15A and spa circuits are fitted with RCDs but I thought I'd see what you guys think.

tmp_1583-Safety switch-1878911535.jpg

Cheers

That is the meter box. Meters are on the outside wall directly opppsite. Switches are inside.

Barge said:
That is the meter box. Meters are on the outside wall directly opppsite. Switches are inside.
Just curious as my house had ZERO RCDs when I moved in. didn't have room to add so I just put a massive 45Amp RCD whole house in the meter panel. Shits me to no end when one thing trips the whole damn house though. Decided to do a major upgrade to 250A 3Ø and rewire the entire house as all the old PVC is breaking down.

Now I've got enough room to add those individual RCD breakers!! Good times!!

IMG_0504.JPG

Tex N Oz said:
Just curious as my house had ZERO RCDs when I moved in. didn't have room to add so I just put a massive 45Amp RCD whole house in the meter panel. Shits me to no end when one thing trips the whole damn house though. Decided to do a major upgrade to 250A 3Ø and rewire the entire house as all the old PVC is breaking down.
No worries. My place is a 40 year old, owner/builder job that had the old style ceramic fuse box. One day the HWS fuse and wire totally melted. FUBAR. Turns out it was underwired. Anyhow, got a sparky out and he re-did the box and fixed the HWS circuit for about $800.

At the time I wasn't thinking electric brewery so I didn't pay attention to what he put in.

Back