Earth Hour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rimrunner, it's got sweet **** all to do with alternatives of supplying power to the masses and you know it.

The fact that we aren't fully utilising the available renewable energy resources that are available to us has more to do with the monetary cost of changing current infrastructures to suit and that fossil fuels are still relatively cheap to obtain.

yeah those ancient farmhouses that are turning up from under the ice are totally planted.

Is your suggestion that people have never lived on ice?

That isn't even the biggest issue here:

WHAT THE **** DO YOU THINK IT IS THAT IS CAUSING THESE 'ANCIENT FARMHOUSES' TO RE-APPEAR SO SUDDENLY? Does global warming only exist when you wish to use it to refute the science that backs it up? You're fucked in the head, pal.

15 watts for 1 hour (That should keep the mad scientist busy for a while counting fossils, lol)

Incandescent or energy saver?

Boagsy, the dude can't even spell - as if he can count.

[EDIT: Sorry, Mods.]

Let's build the reactor next door to rimrunner.

if there was a coal power station next to me i'd be all for it. but being an ass you forget that they don't generally put power stations of any sort right next to people.

all i get from your posts is that you know nothing about nuclear power and less about solar. i guess you can do without power? burn some renewable logs for a while? well that might work for a while in australia where it's a bit warm but those europeans need more than that.

come on people, you can't be really serious about a fictional problem that will not be affected by laws that only apply to our country while other countries just destroy their environment for products we consume?

there is always a case for using less. but earth hour does nothing. worse, it legitimises bad science.

if there was a coal power station next to me i'd be all for it. but being an ass you forget that they don't generally put power stations of any sort right next to people.

all i get from your posts is that you know nothing about nuclear power and less about solar. i guess you can do without power? burn some renewable logs for a while? well that might work for a while in australia where it's a bit warm but those europeans need more than that.

I was suggesting where they should build one not where they do.

I know enough about nuclear to know there is a good reason for not building reactors near people, well, some people.

Rimrunner, it's got sweet **** all to do with alternatives of supplying power to the masses and you know it.

The fact that we aren't fully utilising the available renewable energy resources that are available to us has more to do with the monetary cost of changing current infrastructures to suit and that fossil fuels are still relatively cheap to obtain.
yeah thats what i said. fossil fuel is chaep. renewable isn't cheap. fossil fuel is reliable, renewable isn't. fossil fuel pollutes, so does renewable.
assuming you want to make 10 terawatts of solar energy how much land do you need to cover in mirrors? half the worlds current power? thats over 20 trillion square meters. not much impact on the environment huh. and then you have a cloudy day and we have to turn on the battries.

it's not doable. forget monetary costs. it's just not a plan. the suns energy is not dense enough.

I was suggesting where they should build one not where they do.

I know enough about nuclear to know there is a good reason for not building reactors near people, well, some people.

no you know about nuclear power from the seventies. new nuclear is safe. they wouln'dt even make reactors now.

Good posts rimrunner.

Part of the problem is the people that think they know the answer, but don't really have a clue what the question was...

A lot of typical climate rhetoric in this thread from newspaper researchers, but you're posts are a pleasure to read. They demonstrate a knowledge in this field.

He's saying oil is made from dinosaurs.

Well in that case we'll just bury the waste under your house then.

You best go and stick you're head in a modern text book and see what the new fleet of nukes look like...

I can't work it out.

Did you guys all turn your lights out for Earth hour or not?

He's saying oil is made from dinosaurs.

Unlikely. Wrong chemistry. Oil (and coal) is made from really old plants that died and got buried for a wee bit. Did you know that plants happen to be an efficient collector of solar energy? Did you also know that plants are also a really good way of storing that solar energy?

Please pick a scientific mistruth there...because that is all fact.

Coal and oil is just biomass which is just stored solar energy...

I can't work it out.

Did you guys all turn your lights out for Earth hour or not?

I do care for the earth, so I left my lights on because when electricity demand drops, renewables are the first to be displaced...as the demand begins to increase at the end of the hour, coal takes up the slack until the renewables can be switched back on...

That's just the way the NEM works...

You best go and stick you're head in a modern text book and see what the new fleet of nukes look like...

No reactors and no nuclear waste sounds like a good thing to me.
It doesn't solve the problem of Rimrunners head stuck up his arse though.
I'm no scientist but I will take the word of one over his anyday.

true that. maybe some fossil lube?

now if we get a scientist we can your head out too. happy days.

No reactors and no nuclear waste sounds like a good thing to me.
It doesn't solve the problem of Rimrunners head stuck up his arse though.

Nothing we do on this place creates zero waste, but I'd rather some wastes over others...

I wish everybody would look at a lifecycle for all (energy) technologies and not just for nukes...

true that. maybe some fossil lube?

now if we get a scientist we can your head out too. happy days.

Nice one.
Might work on the scientists head too.

There is energy all around us produced from nature, if only we could harness it all efficiently. There will never be enough energy no matter what we do.

Back