Dynabolt Stuck In Marga Mill. Removal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
I put in a dynabolt to run my mill from a drill and should of used a tougher bolt. Well the head is rounding already. I want the damn thing out now but I can't get the end piece to spin off even after holding the main bolt with pliers and trying to unscrew the bolt out so I can get to the shim.

Am I'm completely stuffed?? :eek:

Im sure I've read of a few people replacing bolts etc in their mills and any tips before I throw a fit altough there has been heaps of swearing already.

Throw up a couple of pics so we can see what you've got. I'm useless without a photo.

Do you think its just the rounded head that's stopping you from getting it out? If so, you could always use a hack saw or dremmel to cut a slot in the head, then back it out with a flat blade screw driver

Nah I can't get a grip on the bolt enough to back it off and out. After a bit of use its done nice and tight. Man I'm shitty, I had a brew planned for Wed and need to crack the grain as the starter is already clearing in the fridge. If I can just get it out I should still be able to hand crank it.

Not much bolt to work with.

DSCF4110.JPG

Get a drill bit a size or two smaller than the dynabolt and drill the dynabolt out

What led to this problem was the bolt wasn't hard enough and i should of got a better quality ss one. If it rounded that easily then it should be easy to drill out at least and try to salvage. Getting the expanded sleeve out might still be a problem.

Get a drill bit a size or two smaller than the dynabolt and drill the dynabolt out
This sounds reasonable to me. Might need to drill a smaller pilot though, and then drill at pretty much the same size or larger than the bolt so that the sleeve drops out too. Is it a dynabolt like this?

Dynabolt%20Flat%20Head.jpg

Also bear in mind that if you drill it out, you might end up with the lug at the end of the dynabolt stuck in the hole... Unless the shaft is hollow all the way through you might not be able to get it out.

I'm not familiar with using a dynabolt in a mill (i don't even own a mill for that matter), but are you using a phillips bit in your drill to turn the dynabolt? If so, this would of been ensuring a very, very tight fit with each use tightening it.

Again, i'm not so familiar with the mill, but are you able to get hold of both the bolt and the roller (not where the roller is knurled of course) with a pipe wrench or muligrips to get more purchase on it? It is amazing how much difference just a little bit more leverage can make. Might also be worth trying some wd-40 or something, might help, won't hurt at least. Could also try tapping *gently* with a hammer on the multigrips holding the bolt/roller, the jarring might break it free. Another pair of hands might help, maybe try and get those before you get angry and destroy the mill.

Unfortunately dynabolts are meant to hold in tight.

I thought this thread would be full of hilarious pictures of a dynabolt that fell into a mill in operation :(

Can you get a pair of multigrips on to it? Go gently. Or put the head end into a vice and work the mill around. Go gently, you don't want to snap the head off.

Plan B would be drill it. Don't know how much use an Ezyout would be.

If you use a drill bit 1mm smaller than the dynabolt (and drill carefully) then I reckon the the sleeve would be easy enough to pry out, especially if it's rounded itself off so easily

File a flat on each side of the head so you can get a shifter on it. Jam the rollers with something lower on the hardness scale than the roller :lol:

Screwy

I would definately try cutting a slot in the head first and then attempt to back it out with a flat blade screw driver first... it it doesn't work, then try drilling it out as a last resort.

Short term drill it out it will be the only way to get it out without causung excessive damage. Long term buy a real barley crusher, then you will be wondering why the buggery did I waste so much time stuffing around with the marga mill, like did! They're great if you want to mill a few grains to make a loaf of bread, but trying to push 5kg of malt through it all the time it struggles big time.

Success! :icon_chickcheers:

Sometimes its better to walk away from things than jump in and make it worse. Well the best suggestion and easiest option was to jam something in the rollers (cardboard) and get a good grip on the bolt with some multi grips and give it a good turn. Out screwed the bolt and then with a yank the pliers came out easier than anticipated :icon_cheers:

Crank handle slotted back in and Im back and brewing on Weds now!

I've never had a problem with the marga mill till now and I have to take full responsibility for the problem to start with. Just tried to save myself 15 mins of cranking. Still I'd like to be able to us a drill on it but will look at a fully steel hex head bolt and hex driver bit that is not going to slip and do this again.

Thanks for the responses guys and I feel a WHOLE lot better now.

I'm looking for a non slip option and fairly long term. What size bit do you use and how long have you been using that bit to drive it for?

Oxy_torch_and_steel_filings_-_DSCN9887.JPG

Chernobyl the whole damn thing and buy a decent mill :ph34r:

Sorry bloke but I had the same drama's with my Marga. I like you thought that the SS bolt was answer to all my hassles but instead it just ate out the keyway. I am sure that there are a few brewers on here that can testify how crapped out my marga was.

Best thing I did was save me pennies and bought a proper grain mill.

To fix ya predictament I would suggest an angle grinder with a 1mm Metal Blade, INOX are the best, and cut the head off at the swage. Then tap the inner bolt in to release the sheath.

Good Luck.

PS I regret not oxy torching my Marga (would have given me sooooo much pleasure!!!)

Back