Dry Malt Vs Dextrose For Bottle Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Have bottled a couple of batches which the brew length was longer than the 18lt kegs and have tasted them after 3 weeks and i dont think i am overly rapped with the end product.I used DEX which i used to use 13 yrs ago before kegging.

Have made a Bass ipa type that is going to be bottled as its a split batch with a mate.

Question is if i can(Bottle to be non American)the DME to get the hot break out of the malt and have my primming ready to use when needed am i going to get a better tasting product than if i use Dex and a bit of hot water?

This is a really good tasting beer and i dont want to spoil it by using an inferior primming sugar,not fussed about the little extra work to get the best product!

Use dextrose, it's heaps easier to work with and you'll likely get a more consistent result if you bulk prime and do it right.

DME is horrible stuff, I hate using it even for starters.

The amount of priming sugar (DME, dex, sucrose) you use is minuscule per bottle, it should not negatively affect the taste.

oops forgot to mention that the canned DME will be used to bulk prime and will be made at the same time that i can 8 or 9 lt of different size jars for yeast starters that can be put on the shelf till i need them to culture up my yeast.

csr_cubes.jpeg

Me I would use Dextrose but would not think about drinking them for at least 3 months.

Use dextrose, it's heaps easier to work with and you'll likely get a more consistent result if you bulk prime and do it right.

DME is horrible stuff, I hate using it even for starters.

+1, I used DME for a while and got very inconsistent carbonation when bulk priming. Switched to glucose and haven't had a problem since.

Have a look at the instructions of your brewery, they actually suggest to freeze some of your wort and use that for bottle priming.
Haven't done it myself though.

Me I would use Dextrose but would not think about drinking them for at least 3 months.

The beer that i sampled had been cool conditioned @ 10 0C for 2 weeks as per style guidelines then lagered for 4 weeks then carbed.so the primming is only for fizz,which means they have been conditioning to drink for 9 weeks.If a normal strength beer isn't ready to drink at 9 weeks then to mind it is not going to get any better.The kegged version is drinking mighty fine for the past 3 weeks....no wonder i keg.

The IPA that is to be bottled is a different kettle of fish as it is or will be 6.5-7% and will need a good rest before the first samples.

+1 to florian should read the manual again......but am basically using wort made from DME to prime

I would defy anyone to tell the difference in taste between priming with sugar and priming with dme.

As stated the only difference will be consistency of carbonation. My personal preference is caster sugar if bottle priming.

For me, my bottled beer is never as good as my kegged beer regardless of how long it conditions. I know many will not agree.

For me, my bottled beer is never as good as my kegged beer regardless of how long it conditions. I know many will not agree.

+ 1

I cant agree with this more...

:kooi:

I tried this, but the cubes were too big to fit down the neck - is there another brand who make smaller cubes? Smashing them in or cracking them in half was really messy. Not worth the saving over carb drops IMHO.

Cubes only fit into PET bottles not glass. + you need to give the bottles a bit of a shake to get them dissolved.

I tried this, but the cubes were too big to fit down the neck - is there another brand who make smaller cubes? Smashing them in or cracking them in half was really messy. Not worth the saving over carb drops IMHO.
What about having a small funnel on top, going from bottle to bottle. Just a thought.

used dex, ldme, sugar, coopers lollies, wort and jelly beans over the years. The amount is so small it makes no difference to taste, only the time frame for carbonation.
I prefer not to use the malt extract only for the reason it leaves a dirty krausen ring up on the neck of the bottle.

God has decreed that:

All PET bottles have exactly the same opening / lid size
CSR cube will fit exactly with not a mm to spare, through the PET opening.

My cubing rate is:

1250ml - one cube for a lightly carbed ale such as a UK Mild or bitter, two cubes for anything else.
2L - two cubes for ales and three for lagers
750ml - one cube for everything. This can over carb UK styles but I decant into a jug and let it steam off a while before serving.

Latest posts

Back