Dry July

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The surgeon and oncologist agreed that it was the beer consumption that caused me to get cancer at a fit 34 years of age, reading about cancer I can now refute their claims stomach cancer is caused generally by eating smoked meat, lots of salt in the diet, and processed meats, cancer caused by alcohol is generally in the mouth, liver and oesophagus.
I don't like salt, never ever put extra salt on my meals and occasionally have smoked ham, I could say for all AHB members to go and get checked out but as there are so many different types of cancer it is impossible to get everything checked.
I had no symptoms just thought I would go and have a gastroscopy as I hadn't had one for a number of years, the tumour is the size of a cricket ball, it is a silent assassin Daryl Cotton in 2012 was diagnosed with liver cancer and died 4 weeks later thats how advanced his was. So all you fellow brewers keep an eye on your health, give your liver a break and have a look at this Horizon documentary Ghost in your genes I feel a lot better knowing it probably wasn't anything I did that caused my cancer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxgkSgZoJs

All the best wide eyed - scared the hell out of me because I'm 34 next week.

There's no explaining how some abuse their body and live to tell the tale, and others do nothing bad and get everything.

I'll have to donate before the month is out in honour of you.

Thanks LRG, I have only made regular donations to Save the Children and White Ribbon Stop violence against Women, also the Salvos when they are collecting but I think that the young kids who are getting over treatment should be the recipients of the Dry July, the oncology nurse was telling me that the number of young children getting cancer is increasing as is the number of brain tumours in young adults.

Wolfman1 said:
Tomato juice is my non beer replacement. The hot and spicy v8 is perfect and gives that savoury bitter sort of feeling that helps to bridge the gap. Three weekends to go
Certainly can't do this in the summer, and I did a BBQ on Saturday that was very odd without a beer.
I'll be bottling one night this week as well which will need a mind adjustment.
I did cheat on Sunday as I had a little taste from the gravity sample to help decide on the dry hopping requirements of the latest brew. I'd made my decision halfway through the 2nd pint...
Tomato juice! If I did that I'd be slamming vodka into it and eating 3 dozen oysters.Not a solution for me.Now I want oysters and vodka bugger it.

Hadn't thought of vodka.
I came home tonight and eh missus has opened a nice bottle to put a cup into dinner.
I swear the bottle is whispering to me. I was supposed to be bottling a brew tonight as well.

Yeah I agree. Weekend two was easier. I went camping and must have been the first time in a couple of decades I didn't have a drink around a campfire.

Well done to everyone who has stayed on the wagon.

:)

I've looked at my efforts to cut down during July and realised I have had a drink six out of the fifteen days. My new target is to limit the drinks to ten days for the whole of the month!

The first week is always the hardest - just breaking the habit of going to the fridge or wanting a beer at 6pm.

Mind you, I was hanging for one last night - not often that happens, but it did.

I'm finding a little harder, but that's due to what I'm doing.
Away for work last night and went out with 4 colleagues and managed to stay away from the very tasty smelling wine they were quaffing. Tonight I got home and had a shocker moving the caravan so was fair gasping after dinner. Half way through

I had that. I was out on the weekend for a dinner with friends.

They had hop thief 6 on tap. In Tasmania. And others around me were drinking it.

I stuck to water.

The szechuan pepper and lime squid was rubbish and overpriced too - not a good night on the food and bev front.

Yeah I'm really understanding now how much harder it is to do the whole complete month. It's like every opportunity to drink is going to come across your life in that time - dinner parties, sport, mates parties, camping etc. However, the longer you go at saying "no" the easier it gets. Its a paradox. :blink:

Yep, it does get easier. I have a brew club do this weekend. I'm driving, so can only have a few. I'll enjoy them a lot :)

Dry July is THE WORST month to build a kegerater. It would be so so so easy to just pull the handle, I wouldn't even bother with the glass.

tonic & bitters
peppermint tea
hot chocolate
tim tams

I'm laying down a batch this morning though! Keep it up guys.

Anyone tried the non-alcoholic beers? There's a few that are < 0.5% which I don't think you can consume and still consider yourself as doing dry july but there are a couple that are no alcohol - any feedback?

WitWonder said:
Anyone tried the non-alcoholic beers? There's a few that are < 0.5% which I don't think you can consume and still consider yourself as doing dry july but there are a couple that are no alcohol - any feedback?
I have, and they are MUCH better than they used to be. Though I;m not drinking them during dry july as I'm pretty sure they would weaken my resolve. Last weekend was hardest yet, came so close to cracking on saturday night, but managed to hold strong.

Latest posts

Back