Dry Hopping!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets!
Reaction score
Looking into dry hopping.

Found this tea site - http://www.ibtea.com.au/category9_1.htm

They have three different methods.

1. T-Sac Filter bags.
2. Stainless Steel Mesh Tea Ball Infuser
3. Stainless Steel Tea Ball Infuser

Which would be the best, or an alternative!!

Dry hopping in the fermenter or keg?
If fermenter then just throw them in, if keg then I'd be interested too.

Seen a few people's various methods lurking about, a lot of custom made jobbies.

Day 4 dry hop. Into fermenter.

Thought about just throwing them in. But if i can keep them together, then there will be no crap floating around.

For ales, I do 7 days in primary, rack to secondary, gelatine finings + dry hop, 7 days in secondary @ 2C, bottle.

The pellets drop out in that time, sometimes in the last 3-4 L you get the very occasional hop residue, no big deal for me.

Day 4 dry hop. Into fermenter.

Thought about just throwing them in. But if i can keep them together, then there will be no crap floating around.

I have always just thrown them in and never had floaties in the end product.
After throwing them in, it usually sits for another week and then cold conditioned for another 1-2 weeks (and gelatine added sometimes), bu then there's nothing floating.
Even the ones I dont chill down or add gelatine to are still good to go.

Ball and Chain Tea Infuser get the larger size from Craftbrewer or most Kitchen stores mine is 2.5 inches diameter.

Can use it it for tea when not brewing dirt cheap and Stainless Steel so no problems.

The very fine gunk escapes anyways.

I use 20cm x 20cm nylon cloth tied with a piece of string (and then sterilized for a minute or two in the steep's boil) for extract/partial brews. It floats on the surface leeching sweet, sweet hoppiness into the brew for weeks. I don't reuse the nylon.

Cheap and easy.

I use 20cm x 20cm nylon cloth tied with a piece of string (and then sterilized for a minute or two in the steep's boil) for extract/partial brews. It floats on the surface leeching bitter, bitter hoppiness into the brew for weeks. I don't reuse the nylon.

Cheap and easy.

Fixed that for you.

I just throw them into the fermenter after the main fermentation is over. No biggy, they drop to the bottom, then you're ready to rack to keg or bottle.

Pellets I just throw in. With flowers, I have a big 'family size' pyrex glass teapot that I bought from an op shop for $4 and I make a litre of hop tea with boiling water, let it sit until cold and pour it into the fermenter. About day 4.

It's also a great container for steeping crystal malt etc.

Looking into dry hopping.

Found this tea site - http://www.ibtea.com.au/category9_1.htm

They have three different methods.

1. T-Sac Filter bags.
2. Stainless Steel Mesh Tea Ball Infuser
3. Stainless Steel Tea Ball Infuser

Which would be the best, or an alternative!!

I use a nylon stocking (new light coloured ones I buy from the supermarket). I cut a 10-12cm piece of stocking, tie a knot in one end. Then put in the hops, and tie off the other end.

Then put into boiling water for approx 1 minute, and then cover and let cool. I then put the hop bag plus the liquid into the fermenter.

Barry

Whats wrong with hop socks/bags??. The nylon ones that most good brew shops sell?? I find i can tie the two ends together no sweat. Just soak it in sterliser before you put the hops in. I have just rinsed them in boiling water quickly before keg hopping them with no ill effects.

I use 20cm x 20cm nylon cloth tied with a piece of string (and then sterilized for a minute or two in the steep's boil) for extract/partial brews. It floats on the surface leeching sweet, sweet hoppiness into the brew for weeks. I don't reuse the nylon.

Cheap and easy.

Same, but I use a big glass marble to weight the bag to the bottom, so the hops are diffusing up, not down.
Wonder does it make any difference?

stagga

edit...I should add I`m talking dry hopping after 5 or 6 days in primary, not hops in the initial boil.

Back