Dry Enzyme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillerRx4

Reaction score
Can I mix a packet of dry enzyme in the fermenter after primary fermentation has slowed/stopped?

My last 3 brews have been based on the Coopers mexican extract & all have stopped fermenting @ 1018-1020. Resulting beer is too sweet i reckon.

As far as I can tell the dry enzyme is supposed to be added at the same time as the yeast but will it work adding it later?

I don't think it is a good idea to add it after primary is over.

When yeast is fermenting, it starts with the shortest chain sachaarides (malt sugars) first, then moves onto the next size up, then onto the next size up. It reaches a stage where it can no longer utilise or ferment the longer chains. If the yeast mixes the order up, it can lead to unusual flavours.

When you add dry enzyme, it works by breaking the longer chain sachaarides (malt sugars) into smaller chains that the yeast can use.

Adding the dry enzyme in secondary, the yeast that have not yet flocced, will have to go back and start work on shorter chain sachaarides.

Totally agree that a finishing gravity 1.018 is way too sweet for style. The hops bitterness that is present won't balance the residual sweetness. It is this ratio of residual sweetness to bitterness that is hard to get right once you start adding all malt to kit brews. So often, people say to kit brewers, use all malt, but the end result is often too from the residuals left from all malt brews. It works in bitter styles, they tend to end up as pale ales. But the lower bitterness brews suffer as they end up being too sweet.

Thanks for that POL,

I was wondering the answer to this myself when I read it. Figured it just wouldnt do much as the yeast had done their job and were heading off for a nap.

Cheers, Sloth.

If fermentable sugars are available to yeast fermentation will take place, toss in the DE. When the unfermented sugars have been modified the yeast will continue to work. Same as adding priming sugar, you are making fermentables available to the yeast.

The other thing you could try is to pitch in a higher attenuating yeast. I would recommend Safale US-56 (assuming you are brewing an ale). You should make a starter first to increase the cell count before pitching.

Cheers guys.

I ended up just racking it, if i do the same brew again i will use the enzyme from the start.

The yeast in that brew is wyeast 1056 2lt starter, this was the 2nd yeast ive cultured on the stir plate in 3 step-ups.... plenty of active yeast went in.

Interestingly I also kegged a lager today that was brewed from another coopers mexican can & wyeast 2124 bohemian lager. This finished at 1012 from 1054.

Latest posts

Back