Draining the Bag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Why hadn't I thought of this before?

bag draining.jpg

You'd want a clean milk crate! I'm thinking about drilling holes in a food grade bucket and draining it into another one (without holes)

I use something similar. I have a stainless muffin holder or cake holder or whatever, and my bag sits atop the pot on it draining. I'd be worried that the crate would slowly melt

There's no way that sub 100C temps are going to melt the plastic that milk crates are made of. It's just not going to happen.

I use Bribie's technique of sliding a spare fridge wire shelf (we've just about all got fermenting fridges with shelves removed, right?) between the pot and the bag - and then a second goes on top, to allow some pretty epic squeezing to take place.

8/10. Not quite ghetto enough.
That table is way too classy - The urn should all be standing on some more stacked milk crates, to get full marks.

Good idea, though!
... However, I find that my bag is too big for the pot once it's lifted, so if i sat it like that the wort would just run down the sides - v sticky mess under the insulation! You don't have that problem?

37cm colander from a Asian supermarket == $1.30
37cm all purpose bucket == $7

Sorted!

Bucket also doubles as the grain grinding bucket, and gear storage between brews.

I use a crab cooker. The pot part as...well...the pot. The insert serves two purposes, keeps my bag off the element while ramping to mash out, and then sits nicely on a discarded fridge rack (as per pyrosx post above), to drain while getting to boil. The time it takes to get from mash out to boil is almost precisely how long it takes for the remaining wort drain from the bag. Works perfectly. One small issue is trying to hold the insert, complete with wort soaked grain and bag, above the pot one handed, while trying place the rack underneath on the pot with the other. I consider this my weight session :D

hotmelt said:
My wife bought a sieve for the garden so I used that for a while.
Worked alright for $5.
attachicon.gif
P1020440.JPG
attachicon.gif
P1020439.JPG
That's a pearler of an idea there HM ... however, if that is your Boil Kettle it is sitting on, what is the mortality rate of the sieve?
Would it need replacing after say 4 or 5 brews?

chubby

chubbytaxman said:
That's a pearler of an idea there HM ... however, if that is your Boil Kettle it is sitting on, what is the mortality rate of the sieve?
Would it need replacing after say 4 or 5 brews?

chubby
It only sat there till about 90 - 95 then I sat it inside another bowl,
P1020448.JPG
but I didn't see any problems with doing so_Once it was used in the garden I couldn't be bothered cleaning it,then the dog decided to chew it.

Latest posts

Back