Double Bath Opinions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theredone

Reaction score
just wondering if u guys think doing 2 boils then combining is better, or wheather i just do a single 10ltr boil and adjust hops and crystal accourdingly for the 46ltr batch?

cheers

I think more information about your recipe. process and intended result would help considerably.

Generally I would say you'll get the best results from the least dilution you do. If you can do a full volume boil it's going to be better than a half or a quarter with a cold water top-up. So boil as much as your equipment allows, those 19L Big W pots are still pretty cheap. Of course don't forget to adjust for hop utilization vs. SG.

EDIT: PS what's it got to do with a 'bath'?

Double bath... ?
Whirlpool-12.jpg

Yes, my opinion of a double bath is high.

As per above, I think you will be better off with as close to full-boil as you can manage. I think this is maybe more important if you dealing with a beer that is balanced towards the hoppy side.

Also, if you are using extract, you might be able to split it so that you boil one lot of hops for aroma in one batch and only boil as long as you need, and do a longer boil for bittering in the other batch, keeping each to the magical 1.040 SG that everyone uses, and adding the remaining extract at the end.

It will be more complicated if you want absolute repeatability, but you will definitely make beer, and potentially very good beer.

Not at all he is meaning this :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry only just picked up on the typo. sunk a couple last night

it is meant to be double batch. and i only have a 10ltr pot atm. so might give biziers method a go. recipe im going to do is the american dark i posted up a week back. havnt adjusted for double yet but single is as follows

tin coops pale
tin coops amber
.5 LDME
.2 choc pale
.2 TF dark
.2 caramalt

30g cascade @ 60
20g amarillo @ 15
20g cascade @ 15
25g amarillo @ 5
1056 american ale yeast

recipe has changed slightly to suit what im chasing from orriginal post. and the late additions will probly be hop bursted rather than whole amounts

EDIT: and being a liquid yeast smack pack i can split that into starters for 4 brews yeah? cost me just shy of 12 bucks so it would be realy nice if u could

thanks for the suggestions

and one more quick question. when using ianh's spreadsheet i turn hcf on and put boil size at 10? or do i leave it off. there seems to be some conflicting advice on the spreadsheat thread. or maybe im reading it wrong

cheers guys

sorry only just picked up on the typo. sunk a couple last night
If the day ends in a Y, most of us would do the same.

it is meant to be double batch. and i only have a 10ltr pot atm.
Do your self a favour, take $20 to Big W and buy a 19 litre pot as a second one. I have both now and they are both useful. :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back