Don't order grain after night shift!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
Ok, so in my haste to order a couple of brews worth of grain to tie me over on the Xmas break, i put together a recipe for a session red IPA. While i was still half asleep after night shift. Needless to say, i somehow managed to enter 20% of cara malts instead of the 10 to 15% max i was targeting. The perceived sweetness on this thing is going to be out of whack due to this so bu:gu ratio isn't going to help me much to balance it. The beer in question will have an og of around 1.036 (abv of approximately 3.5%), so around 30ibu give or take is required to keep things in check. How the feck am i to know how much to raise this by to balance it given how much cara malts are in there. Grain has already turned up, brewman is very efficient

I doubt the beer will be as bad as you think. Maybe a bit sweet, you could lower your mash temp a couple of degrees which might help.
Other option being to order another brew with a lot less Cara, blend the two and make an extra batch.

Do you use BrewBuilder? It shows the effect of each malt on OG and you can see the effect on colour and lot more information, if you like the recipe you can just open it and tweak it at need or just re-order the same, helps to prevent brain farts.
Mark

Which cara? 5% over your intended max may be ok. Otherwise the blended option as above. Easy fix.

I did a similar thing the other day, I ordered 800g of Caramalt instead of 250g for a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale I was looking forward to.
I'll add some more base Malt and considerably more hops and try and make an IPA out of it.
Either way I'll still drink it.

For a standard (23 litre) batch that's only around 700g. I reckon it will be great. Hop it like a 7% IPA and call it a session amber IPA or something. it'll be a winner.

Thank you to everyone for their input. Going to charge ahead with it, but probably drop my mash temp. Was going to mash high but with the extra caras in there i could probably get away with doing a standard 66oC mash. Would it be worth bumping the ibu up a bit? If so how much?

Latest posts

Back