Dont Kill Me For Asking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am about to order some grain from G&G so i can do my first partial and happily move onto AG, i have so far just been making up extract brews using POR hops, lager LME (which I assume is a amber malt?) and coopers recultered yeast or 34/70.

I want to order some grain to make my brews better but not quite sure which type of grain to go with and whether i should use some crystal and chocolate malt as well?

If anyone has a partial recipe that is in the ballpark of a Carlton Draught or something similar this would be great.... but if anyone has an amber ale or something that would be better than a carlton type clone then this would be great also :)

Probably going to use the "Zapap" method for the mash/lauter tun (as i have heaps of these buckets) and just wrap in a blanket and monitor the temp to make sure its @ 66c.. if using grain is for me then will probably upgrade to the cooler method with better temperature stability.

thanks in advance for any feedback :)

oh and since ive only used POR so far.. any advice with a recipe that has a different hop would be cool too... i really should try some different varieties :|

If doing a partial then, for a 23L batch I would - if your equipment can handle it - use up to 2kg of a pilsener malt. I use Galaxy from Barrett Burston but GnG should be able to supply an alternative if they don't stock BB. In addition I would steep 300g of Carapils and put the steepings in to your boil. If your mash tun is big enough you could put the Carapils in with the pilsener malt.

Instead of using LDME I would personally go for a tin of something light such as Coopers Canadian, and pimp up the recipe with 20g of Pride of Ringwood, boiled with your runnings from the Pilsener / Galaxy for 60 minutes in your stockpot. Use that 34/70 yeast and you will be getting pretty close to a Carlton Draught or a Melbourne Bitter.

And dont forget about 500g of sugar or dextrose for light body and drinkability. :icon_cheers:

Edit: that was my stock brew that I played around with, before I went AG and I still made it for the first 6 months of my AG career. avatar_beer.JPG

Finding it hard to reply as "I want Carlton Draught" is upsetting me a little. Why go through all that effort to make bland beer.

As for POR - try anything - Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Czech Saaz, Stryian Goldings - anything will provide better flavour. Do some hop research and you'll find a good deal of descriptions for the above and more.

Carabohemian is a great allround grain.

Rather than Carlton Draught, what about a Coopers Pale Ale clone instead: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=483
The recipe is quite simple/easy, and uses both POR hops and Coopers yeast which you're familiar with.
Another great first AG brew that comes highly recommended Dr's Golden Ale: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=502
However this one does use different hops and yeast (but dried yeast so its easy).

Thanks heaps for the relpies,

CPA is something that i cant remember drinking, drank plenty of CSA but not the CPA.. might have to go grab a couple to try.
The AG recipe looks great and will definitely tag this for the first brew when i get into AG.

Finding it hard to reply as "I want Carlton Draught" is upsetting me a little. Why go through all that effort to make bland beer.

Actually, probably not a great example... a sparkling ale might even be a better option... if only i had someone i knew that didn't just brew K&K.. that way i wouldn't have to worry about these posts.. could just try someone elses brew.. then if it was great.. grab the recipe and finished.. :(

How about Tony's LCBA?

Its been on my brew list for a while, yet to get to it though!

Actually, probably not a great example... a sparkling ale might even be a better option... if only i had someone i knew that didn't just brew K&K.. that way i wouldn't have to worry about these posts.. could just try someone elses brew.. then if it was great.. grab the recipe and finished.. :(

It is hard. Found myself in the same position.

The best thing I did for my brewing knowledge was start trying some craft brewed commercial examples. They often list some of the ingredients (esp. hops) on the bottle, and they are a great example of what innovative aussie brewing can be. You can then start associating tastes with ingredients, rather than a blind guess.

The best thing I did for my brewing knowledge was start trying some craft brewed commercial examples. They often list some of the ingredients (esp. hops) on the bottle, and they are a great example of what innovative aussie brewing can be. You can then start associating tastes with ingredients, rather than a blind guess.

That does sound like a good idea, i know Safeway here has a fair range of "specialty beers" might just pick out a few and have a try..

but if anyone has an amber ale

Yep. tony's JSAA clone.

IF you want to use extract + spec grain:

3 litres of pale liquid malt extract (lager will do too)
300g of crystal malt (steeped)
30g of cholate malt (steeped)

If you want to do a partial mash
1.5L of pale liquid malt extract
2kg pale ale malt (mash)
300g crystal malt (mash)
30g chocolate malt (mash)

Hops 40g Willamatte at 45 minutes, 20g Willamette at 15 minutes.

Yeast: US05

Maybe i should skip the partial and go straight into AG and have a crack at Dr's Golden Ale?

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...&recipe=502

or should i try a partial first?

Depends on time.

All other things being equal, I'd try going straight into AG, if for no other reason than the education you get and the research you need to do, plus greater control over ingredients. And the jargon becomes something you understand.

If time is an issue, go extract. You'll spend at least half the time doing it than AG, if not less time than that. And you'll get a pretty good result, especially given the time invested.

I used grains in partial plus extract, but didn't quite get what it was I was doing with them, all I knew is that it was working. Now I get it, so the quality of my brews has improved again and I'm making full use of all the ingredients out there, which is great for formulating my recipes and quite satisfying.

horses for courses. whatever you choose, enjoy the ride.

A Carlton clone is pretty easy. I've made a few - they taste slightly better than the real thing too which is nice.

This is for 18L.

3kg Pale malt
250g Sugaz
15g PoR 60 min
S189 @ 12C

On a hot evening, standing by the BBQ, served at 3C it's a bloody ripper drop.

Thanks all for the help, one thing though as far as mashing is concerned, i dont have a 'mechanical' thermometer but i do have an IR gun type.. would this be ok to use for AG brewing?

Thanks all for the help, one thing though as far as mashing is concerned, i dont have a 'mechanical' thermometer but i do have an IR gun type.. would this be ok to use for AG brewing?

At a guess, I think it'd be okay - although you'd want to be taking readings from things that were well-stirred.

OK thanks JD, might get a dial type thermometer anyway

OK thanks JD, might get a dial type thermometer anyway

That is the best bet for measuring temps in the first stages anyhow. I have a IR one at home and have tried it a fair bit when doing the boil and it has never worked that good for me. It takes around 30 seconds to decide on the temp is and it is normally +/- 5 degrees off when checked against the reading of another thermometer. That said I have found it does come in bloody handy for quickly checking and accurately measuring the brew temp once its in the fermenter.

The Zapap Lauter tun setup is a brilliant way to start AG-ing. I used to be able to mash up to 5-6kg no probs.
As far as my temp gauge went, it was a cuppacino milk thermometer (which I've since found out is out of calibration). I just had that shoved into the mash.

All the best looking for recipes, can only suggest the recipe DB, or grabbing Jamil Zainacheff's (spelling?) book on brewing classic styles. :icon_cheers:

Thanks everyone for all the help, makes it a hell load easier than trying to scour the net for hours.
AHB :kooi:

Latest posts

Back