Don't Be Disheartened By The Anti-extract Hype Of All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Carlton Draught an extract or an all-grain? :huh:

Its pretty shit, so according to beerfingers it must be extract,

funny...I always assumed it would be AG.. :eek:

Its pretty shit, so according to beerfingers it must be extract,

funny...I always assumed it would be AG.. :eek:

If what you say is correct, then you should be proud your extract beers taste like Carlton Draught.

The evidence in the real world does.
Name one Brewery that sells an extract beers successfully. Just one.
I can name one, but i can tell you, it's beers are shit, and it's fkn far from Successful.

Sorry had to bite at this one as i can name 2 at least, i will assume Lovely Valley is the one you are refering too. Like it or lump it people still buy there beers and they are still in business. I'm not sure how you gauge success bf but the fact they are in business has got to account for something. Regardless of what I may actually think of their beers. The other would be any of the U brew it's etc that are currently doing a roaring trade, the beers I've tried from there so far have been very good a clean extract beers.

No doubt I'll look forward to you shit canning my beers when I go commercial too regardless of them being Extract or not.

This is just another chest beating peacocking thread where the (Harley riding) A-Ger's tell the (Japanese bike riders) K&Ker's (that they ride rice burning jap crap) that only fermentation assistants, not real brewers (real men ride Harleys)

The reason I went AG was to produce authentic UK real ales and, seriously, you can't do that with kits or extract. However up to that point I was quite happy with kits n partials for my other styles, such as Stouts and lagers. Last year I revisited my partials as I needed a quick keg filler and made a perfectly acceptable Cerveza style lager with a tin, some base malt and some Polenta (what else) :p

lawnmower__Medium_.jpg

For highly hop driven beers such as APA's, I've tasted some really good extract versions. Mark^******* used to brew some crackers in his extract days.

brew beer how you like to brew beer.
sounds like religious nutters arguing and is just drivel.

This is just another chest beating peacocking thread where the (Harley riding) A-Ger's tell the (Japanese bike riders) K&Ker's (that they ride rice burning jap crap) that only fermentation assistants, not real brewers (real men ride Harleys)

whats a hardley go and blue cattle dog got in common?
after a short run both go for a ride on the back of a ute.

Sorry had to bite at this one as i can name 2 at least, i will assume Lovely Valley is the one you are refering too. Like it or lump it people still buy there beers and they are still in business. I'm not sure how you gauge success bf but the fact they are in business has got to account for something. Regardless of what I may actually think of their beers.

Lovely Valley do make Extract beers, along with a multitude of other beverages, which actually aren't too bad.
Not 100% sure, but I think they are owned by DeYoungs down here in the south who have a roaring scrap trade, similar to paramount browns.
DeYoungs also own a few recycling yards and a truck\earth moving rental company and some other small business's around the traps.
So yes, Lovely Valley are still in business, but the ins and outs of their revenue would be something we would never know.
Even still, they have been there for years and have never seemed to move up or down within their industry.

The other would be any of the U brew it's etc that are currently doing a roaring trade, the beers I've tried from there so far have been very good a clean extract beers.

U-Brew-it I can't comment on, having never entered their premises or tasted a u-brew-it beer. but I wouldn't put it in the same class as Lovely Valley or any other brewery for that matter. More of a "Drive-Thu" for home brewers.

No doubt I'll look forward to you shit canning my beers when I go commercial too regardless of them being Extract or not.

I'm happy to try your beers, but if I think they taste like rubber apples, Don't start carrying on like I just pissed in your soup when I tell you so.
If they taste good, I'll tell you so also.

This, I have to disagree with you on.
This thread is about telling Extract brewers not to be disheartened by AG brewers telling them their AG's are better buy some random article posted on the internet.

My points are:
1. If you're happy with your extract brewing, and have no requirement to change it - congratulations on making a beer you're happy with... Enjoy
2. If you're happy with your extract brewing but want to move to All Grain - there is no right of entry, you don't need 3 50L vessels to do it.
3. If you're unhappy with your extracts and want a better beer - skip the steeping and 60min boil using kit's and bits, if you're going to all that effort, just move to AG
4. AG is not hard, it's easy, yes it's more time consuming but the results are a consistent higher quality beer and a much more controllable\personal beer.
5. There is no right of entry into AG, you don't need to go up through the ranks in order to brew it. if you have the ability to hold water at 65c for an hour, hang a bag of wet grain over a bucket and boil water you have the skillset to start making AG beers.

There is no chest beating here.
I don't think I'm a better or worse brewer than anyone else. In fact, to be honest, I have only recently gotten over a bout of infections due to a dodgy tap.
That in itself made me question my process's and ability.
However, getting back on the horse, I have now made a Black beer for my neighbor after he asked me to make it for him, have a SNPA clone going in the keg tomorrow, and they are both tasting great and I'm brewing a Black IPA on Sunday.

I do find however, that a difference of opinion on this forum does tend to start others beating their chests.
I know most brewers are passionate about brewing and love drinking their own beers. I'm one of them.
But If anyone tried my beers and say it tastes like shit because it resembles rubber apples, AND that taste was common among the people who used my process. I wouldn't be sticking my head in the sand and rounding up the troops to combat the guy. I would be looking at my process. and if it is common among the people that use my process, then I would be looking at moving away from said process and not finding ways to work around it.
Unless, of course, I liked the taste of rubber apples, then I wouldn't give a shit what anyone else thinks and I would relax and have a home brew.

Cheers,

BF

kit and extract beermaking is GAY. Spread your cheeks an enjoy the big thrust of bland, beige beer shaft.

Please refrain from calling it 'brewing'.

Seriously, this thread is all about releasing oppressed self humility over substandard practice. If corner-cutting is what you want to do, that's your perogative, but why bother with the bleeding heart plea for kindred spirits to uplift you failings. You suck and youre not a brewer. Deal with it, or start seeing a shrink .

Tinned soup and dolmio pasta sauce is what's wrong with society today.

what the **** is that thing?

A skin suction unit for extract turkeys to exfoliate with?

I will never understand the vanity-driven gay community.

True, the first post started as dribble, and it's just continued from there.

The word you seek is drivel.

[quote post='813971' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:29 PM']I'm not 100% sure, but I can't help but somehow feel that maybe, indirectly I may have possibly contributed to it....[/quote]

No chance. Don't be so hard on yourself :lol:

you have to admit that AG requires a huge amount of knowledge and equipment compared to K&K.

Bullshit. Nick has done an awesome job in making people think they can brew AG while possessing ****-all knowledge of brewing. This becomes the bread and butter of the commercial aspect of this website *in measured impressions* because it keeps the stupid people returning with dumbarse enquiries when they refuse to educate themselves.

Surfer boy, you should be on the AHB payroll. Your 'brewing for retards' publications are great for increased traffic.

the word is dribble, check your chin

Wrong. That's your wife's sweet love juice soaking my long, manly AG beard. ;)

WHAT? It could have been worse... if I mentioned his mother.

The noun is drivel. Dictionary is better than chin. So Ted's right. About more than just that ;)

Oh also. Two legs good, four legs bad, and all that shit.

^^ this guy knows the score. :lol:

I'll bet Orwell wasn't an extract brewer.

Wrong. That's your wife's sweet love juice soaking my long, manly AG beard. ;)

WHAT? It could have been worse... if I mentioned his mother.

mighty brave of you to say so hiding behind mommys computer

oooooooooo, fightin' words. Nice tough-guy response, big fella. Call me a web hero, therefore imposing upon everyone your strongman attitude.

Illiterate wanker.

not in adelaide are you?, I'd love to buy you a beer

Honestly guys, this is like watching pimply teenagers at school.

Back