Does Chrome React With Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingerlickin_B said:
vlbaby said:
I'm a little suspicious of using chrome since I fitted one to the tap of my fermenter. It seems the the acidic nature of fermenting beer has just about removed the entire chrome plating from the fitting. If it hasnt decayed the chrome away, it had at least discolored it seriously.

How long (how many brews) did it take for this to start happening?

I certainly wouldn't like to loose the brew I just put down in this thing...$40 is a lot to loose for me...I'm always broke :huh:

PZ.
[post="88104"][/post]​

I had this element in the 2ndry for about 2 weeks, and when it came out it was already discolored. Perhaps you may get away with chrome fittings for short term exposure to your beer, but i dont think it is good for use in a fermenter or lagering vesell etc..
I might also add, that the nickel plated brass ball valve i had fitted to the fermenter showed no signs of any corrosion. I wouldnt hestitate to use these.

vlbaby.

vl, it will eventually become an infection risk. Slight peeling of the chrome will be a great hiding place

wessmith said:
The bottom line is dont use chrome plated fittings for beer. Nickel is OK (ball valves) and of course S/S is fine. Invest upfront and avoid the dissapointment.

Wes
[post="88106"][/post]​

I believe the balls in nickel p. ball valves are still chrome plated are they not? (that's a serious question.. they appear to be to me)

Borret

Borret said:
wessmith said:
The bottom line is dont use chrome plated fittings for beer. Nickel is OK (ball valves) and of course S/S is fine. Invest upfront and avoid the dissapointment.

Wes
[post="88106"][/post]​

I believe the balls in nickel p. ball valves are still chrome plated are they not? (that's a serious question.. they appear to be to me)

Borret
[post="88119"][/post]​

They definately look like chrome. I just looked at mine, and i cant see tarnish in its appearance at all, unlike the chrome fittings.
Actually doesnt look plated at all, could even be stainless. Couldnt be 100% sure if it was or wasnt.

vlbaby.

Darren said:
FL, one batch is going to be fine.

Sorry Darren, but I'm not sure if you mean:

a- One batch will turn out fine and I won't end up drinking chrome flakes.

or

b- The loss of one batch at the expense of personal safety is fine.

PZ.

Drink it. In actual fact the alcohol from the beer will probably do more damage than the tap :eek:
Grab yourself a stainless tap. I bought three piece stainless 1/2 inch taps for $30. Seems like a lot at the time but you know you can dis-asseble at any time to clean and they will last for ever

The tap isn't chromed...the tap is fine :)

The fitting I used on the inside of the fermenter and through the fermeter wall for mounting the tap onto is chromed.

PZ.

just checked bias boating catalogure. The balls are indeed stainless on the nickel jobs.

I'm sure we'd all like staino fittings but it comes down to the fact that alot of us would like to brew before we recieve our inheritance. When it's $30 for one yes... but when the system needs 3 + all the other fittings that go with it then brass is a good interim measure for me. There's always an upgrade down the track.

Borret

Porous is bad. Once you have a tap it very hard to change it. Two piece stainless jobbies sell for about 12 bucks. Edit: Hardly an inheritance

$12 ? NSW must have a hell of a lot more taxes than SA in that case. Any one in NSW seen them for that. The nickel jobs in bunnings are 14

eg G&G taps

This is both funny and exceptionally painful at the same time...

On most other forums I answer the questions a lot of the time.

I also see lots of people on these other forums giving terrible and inaccurate advice while I am there trying to help out with something I have an intimate knowledge of.

Being new to the forum I obviously have no idea who to believe here, so if Grain & Grape ever get around to calling me like the order form said they would, I'll just buy SS gear from them and be done with this whole f*cking mess!

Oh, at least I accidentally found out in my local searches who Canberras John Guest distributor is...that's a slight bonus at least :)

Thanks for trying to help guys, but too many people seem to be agreeing on too little

PZ.

I'll add to Borrets point.

I dropped by Reeces, Tradelink and Cooks plumbing at Castle Hill and none of them had any stainless fittings whatsoever. They all said they stopped stocking them as there is no demand.

Fair enough they are stocking standard stuff to a booming construction area.

Leaves me to search for another alternative, trying to avoid blackwoods for cost reasons.

I tried Reece & Tradelink too (no Cooks here) before any of the other shops, at the suggestion of a mate.

Although they didn't have what I wanted, the guys at both places were as helpful as they could be regarding alternative stockists and products...and that was before I even mentioned beer! :D

Next time I need "normal" plumbing bits and peices I'll be heading out to one of the above-mentioned joints. :)

PZ.

If you are really intersted pm me and I will call aroung. Guess youu guys are being quoted 90+ bucks for a 1/2 inch three piece. That is what I was quoted until I looked around. Guess with my frigging the two pieces are going to be $20 + postage.
look under stainless fabricators in your yellow pages.
There are certainly two piece (ie you can't pull them aparte asily and plumbing supplies is not my specialty) for $15 in Adelaide. Any Adelaidians bought these? Jaz?

BTW most forums are not concerning scientific experimets such as brewing. Usually they are about mathematical problems such as computers or formulae. Try searching a molecular biology or immunology forum. You will find similar dis-agreements. It is all about furthering the knowledge and dispelling the myths.

Darren said:
BTW most forums are not concerning scientific experimets such as brewing. Usually they are about mathematical problems such as computers or formulae. Try searching a molecular biology or immunology forum. You will find similar dis-agreements. It is all about furthering the knowledge and dispelling the myths.

Yes, I already stated that people often do not agree in forumsI think that may very well have been my point ;)

I moderate a number of forums based upon electronics and audio equipment, in particular modifications & maintenance

An example of why I tend not to trust just anyones opinion/suggestion would be the kind of sh*t people suggest putting into faders (sliding pots) it is sometimes funny, but in the long run costs a lot of easily impressionable people a lot of money due to damaged equipment :rolleyes:

Automotive forums are just as bad, often worsethere sure are a lot of screwed up cars out there due to experts dispensing advice :eek:

So, you can see why Im not ready to willingly accept anyones advice on this subject after reviewing so many differing opinions and being a new member, I still dont know whom to trust :blink:

PZ.

Trust nobody.
Try everything yourself.
I do agree that there are a lot of "Johnny come lately" characters here. Just don't compromise your or others health with cheap short-cuts

Darren said:
Trust nobody.
Try everything yourself.
I do agree that there are a lot of "Johnny come lately" characters here. Just don't compromise your or others health with cheap short-cuts
[post="88153"][/post]​

"Johnny come lately" has some good ideas too mate! Dont discard good advice just because it doesnt come from a " beer god".

vlbaby

See, here is the problem.

I didn't name anybody...I have no idea who to trust on this subject and I don't necessarily trust people based purely on their post-count.

I should have known I would start something like this, or at least create a bad impression. This is not what I was trying to do! :eek:

PZ.

FL, I didnt name anyone either. Nor am I saying to trust the highest poster. What I am saying is look around the net and take the general consensus. Look at what commercial breweries are doing. Look what is acceptable as food grade process and decide yourself. After all it is upto you. Don't chuck the beer. Get yourself the industry standard.

Back