Dodgy Digiboil Wiring?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I'll be changing my wiring to a safer arrangement!

This looks a bit strange to me. I just checked the ones in stock and we do have the active up to the switch and then neutral going through the elements when the boiler is turned off. I am not sure when you purchased this one but for the stock that I have checked in the last few batches from Feb until now are all wired with the active to switches. Is it possible for you to send us your order number so we can look into that batch that you have got. It must have been from stock manufactured before Feb 2020 but I have none of this older stock at our premises to be able to check so it's only a guess.

This looks a bit strange to me. I just checked the ones in stock and we do have the active up to the switch and then neutral going through the elements when the boiler is turned off. I am not sure when you purchased this one but for the stock that I have checked in the last few batches from Feb until now are all wired with the active to switches. Is it possible for you to send us your order number so we can look into that batch that you have got. It must have been from stock manufactured before Feb 2020 but I have none of this older stock at our premises to be able to check so it's only a guess.
Mine looks identical to @Grok's, 65L Digiboil purchased in April 2020. There's a mess of errors in there, black wires connected to live (brown from mains) terminals, live wires going to terminals labelled "N", element switches on the neutral lines. The line powering the control board is switched on the live side, but elements on the neutral. The thing still drives obviously, but it's not arranged "right" in there.

Attachments

• DSC_0048.JPG
    DSC_0048.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 60
Mine looks identical to @Grok's, 65L Digiboil purchased in April 2020. There's a mess of errors in there, black wires connected to live (brown from mains) terminals, live wires going to terminals labelled "N", element switches on the neutral lines. The line powering the control board is switched on the live side, but elements on the neutral. The thing still drives obviously, but it's not arranged "right" in there.

are you agreeingwith the origional poster just for the sake of it or do you actually know for a fact

I have rearranged the wiring to what I think it should have been for Active Element Switching.
Use at your own risk, if your not sure, get a sparky to check it.
Perhaps KL can verify the wiring from the diagram!

Attachments

• Active switching1.jpg
    Active switching1.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Digiboil Rewire.JPG
    Digiboil Rewire.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
are you agreeingwith the origional poster just for the sake of it or do you actually know for a fact
Excuse me? I'm just offering a second data point that mine is arranged identically to the OP - ie it's not a one-off. I'm also confirming as I stated that the elements are switched on the negative sides on mine, as per his.

I have rearranged the wiring to what I think it should have been for Active Element Switching.
Use at your own risk, if your not sure, get a sparky to check it.
Perhaps KL can verify the wiring from the diagram!
hard to see again.
does the LED light work on the main on/off switch.
i thought that that LED light cable should go to neutral if the other two poles are active.

hard to see again.
does the LED light work on the main on/off switch.
i thought that that LED light cable should go to neutral if the other two poles are active.
Usually that is the case, but it looks like the PCB board is managing and distributing the active and so just needs the Neutral to turn on the system, so in this case the main switch is a Neutral circuit breaker, and therefore the switch light needs an active to complete its own little circuit and glow (it's probably not an actual LED because they are polarity sensitive).
I might add this is my own logic. I am not an electronics engineer, just an enthusiast !
I have tested it and it works fine, and I feel safer about where the permanent Active mains current is.

Last edited:
Excuse me? I'm just offering a second data point that mine is arranged identically to the OP - ie it's not a one-off. I'm also confirming as I stated that the elements are switched on the negative sides on mine, as per his.

alot of people in this world will agree even

many apologies meddo i read your post very wrongly with my alcahol eyes which is no excuse as should never message when i have been drinking to much..

i hate the next morning when i start looking at forums to see if i have posted the night before as i am likely to find a post that offends or doesnt make any sense at all

So apologies to you

alot of people in this world will agree even

many apologies meddo i read your post very wrongly with my alcahol eyes which is no excuse as should never message when i have been drinking to much..

i hate the next morning when i start looking at forums to see if i have posted the night before as i am likely to find a post that offends or doesnt make any sense at all

So apologies to you
Haha no worries mate 👍

Some of the funniest posts I've seen have been done at midnight or later, all this quality assurance testing certainly has its challenges. 😂

Here is the original wiring pic of mine... (When i first added the pump)

20200909_192953.jpg

I don't know the serial no. (I scratched the sticker off the bottom when i started modding it). But here's my invoice number and purchase date.
Inv No MG 000121005
Date : 18 Aug 2020

It would be nice to get another response from KL about this!

It would be nice to get another response from KL about this!

Its different wiring to the stock that we have at our warehouse here so not sure why the ones in the photo have different wiring. With that said if you send us your order number and ideally the batch number on the side of the brewery and your preferred email we will follow this up. So far only HardEight has sent us his order number and we have sent him an email asking for more information.

The only info on the Digiboil is what I sent in post #23 and this one of the ID sticker on the side. I bought my unit from the local HB shop Brewmart, Bayswater, WA, and I can't find the receipt, but it was April 26th 2019 from my bank statement records. I could see Neil from Brewmart I suppose and try to track it down.
DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0049.JPGDSC_0066.JPG

The only info on the Digiboil is what I sent in post #23 and this one of the ID sticker on the side. I bought my unit from the local HB shop Brewmart, Bayswater, WA, and I can't find the receipt, but it was April 26th 2019 from my bank statement records. I could see Neil from Brewmart I suppose and try to track it down.
View attachment 119521View attachment 119522View attachment 119523

Great. well if you purchase from a different retailer can you please send email and name so we can follow this up for you.

Back