Do You Rack Wheat Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
I still can't decide if i should rack my wheat beer on Friday or not. I want it to be cloudy still and I dont want to loose any good flavours by racking. If i rack it will it still remian slightly cloudy because of the style of beer?

Also how about CCing does anyone do it with wheatys?

Hey finite, i was in the same boat recently myself. Using WLP300, racking to seconday will be fine you will retain some of that cloudy appearance but DONT use finings, i learnt the hard way and not only lost the cloudyness (surprise, surpise) but i also lost alot of that clove and banana character that is the basis of this style. Although the beer still turned out great! crystal clear alot of my mates prefer it that way.

Wheat beer is best fresh carbonate and drink it although a weeks CC cant hurt either i spose.

I was only going to do 2 days CC....and thats for the reply thats the same yeast im using also.

i did a Belgian Wit and racking was fine but after a week in CC it went crystal clear, which is usually exactly what you'd want but not for a cloudy wheat beer.
Are you kegging it or bottling?
I'd definitely rack it, then when it's finished, into a keg, gas & drink fresh.
I'm not sure how to stop it clearing during sitting in the fridge tho.....

tangent said:
i did a Belgian Wit and racking was fine but after a week in CC it went crystal clear, which is usually exactly what you'd want but not for a cloudy wheat beer.
Are you kegging it or bottling?
I'd definitely rack it, then when it's finished, into a keg, gas & drink fresh.
I'm not sure how to stop it clearing during sitting in the fridge tho.....
[post="107506"][/post]​

I did a wheat last month & racked to secondary after a week but didn't cc and it stayed cloudy.

You can leave it in the primary for 2 weeks and then bottle. No need to rack if you dont have to.

Apparently wheat beers are best drunk as soon as carbonated I've heard?

I mean bottled not kegged.

Is this true?

they have a fresh raw wheat taste that fades a bit with aging

DrewCarey82 said:
Apparently wheat beers are best drunk as soon as carbonated I've heard?

I mean bottled not kegged.

Is this true?
[post="107513"][/post]​

Either way, fresh is best, in my experience.

Some like to allow a week or 2. Not me! Leave a wheat beer too long and the flavour is bland. Prob because the low hop rate is not preserving the beer well.

Seth

Great thing I posted as I was going to throw on 2 wheats at once, sounds like I am going to have to hit it fairly hard after 5 days.

Weizguy said:
Either way, fresh is best, in my experience.

Some like to allow a week or 2. Not me! Leave a wheat beer too long and the flavour is bland. Prob because the low hop rate is not preserving the beer well.

Seth
[post="107532"][/post]​

I'm with seth on this one.Wheatys are the best quick turnaround beer.YUMM.... :chug:

Sorry to hijack Finite - but does someone have a partial mash recipe for a wheat? After a hundred odd brews Ive never actually tried one. Im all for drinking beers very young.
Cheers
Steve

forget that - just find a good thread in the recipe section.

Latest posts

Back