Do You Keep Track Of Your Brewing Costs ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son in law was ecstatic that he had managed to get a strudget-whirdel centric-splined crankhouse release recirculator or something along those lines for his latest racing motor bike for a mere $400. Now all he need is some frogget swivel stabilizers (left hand) - I think that's what he said - and he's off and racing again :p Puts my brewing costs into perspective.

Son in law was ecstatic that he had managed to get a strudget-whirdel centric-splined crankhouse release recirculator or something along those lines for his latest racing motor bike for a mere $400. Now all he need is some frogget swivel stabilizers (left hand) - I think that's what he said - and he's off and racing again :p Puts my brewing costs into perspective.

Mate, you have no idea (well you probably do) but I had a car hobby before brewing (as per my avatar) and they are just an endless pit of money with little gain for soooooo long.. The patience of brewing is nothing in comparison, plus it saves money instead of sucking it out of you ;)

Ahh, I love brewing beer :wub:

I have a spreadsheet which I used to track what ingredients I have in stock so when I plan for the next brew I know what I have on hand. I also use it to track how much I've spent on ingredients, how much each brew costs in terms of ingredients. I also put a nominal value against the brew on how much I think it would be worth to buy a carton which varies of course based on the style. This offsets the cost and have a running tally of it all. So after 10 brews of around 21L batches I'm now saving money not buying the stuff from the bottle shop. I must admit I probably wouldn't actually go and pay the prices I have set for certain brews because of the high cost, but then I wouldn't be able to enjoy 19L or a weissbier either.

Tracking the cost of all the equipment, power, gas, water and misc usage is another matter which I need to go through.

Mate, you have no idea (well you probably do) but I had a car hobby before brewing (as per my avatar) and they are just an endless pit of money with little gain for soooooo long.. The patience of brewing is nothing in comparison, plus it saves money instead of sucking it out of you ;)

Ahh, I love brewing beer :wub:

I hear ya revknut. I have just parked the HSV in the garage and that's where it can stay for a little longer. Home brewing is 10 x cheaper than building cars (especially fast ones) and the fruits of the labour can be enjoyed by all! Lets put it this way all my AG gear plus all the kits, bits, hops and grains etc I have bought to date wouldn't even replace the mags on the damn thing. Plus if you add up the money saved from not buying decent beer I am wayyyy in front.

Gotta love brewing! :icon_cheers:

EDIT: I have know what BribieG said but I will take his word for it!

I once had a spreadsheet detailing what I'd spent to date

I don't worry about it any more (not to say I don't chase a bargain when is presents itself)

Sure I've lashed out on gizmos and gadgets and not to mention beer glasses

But I'm in a position to do so at the moment - am I've always got in the back of my mind that the stuff I've bought has a resale value - hopefully this day won't come

I doubt I'm ahead in savings in commercial beer vs equipment cost - and am not really concerned about it

I enjoy the actual process / building stuff / drinking the fruits of my labour

At a rough guess I'd say I've spent about 5K+ on ingredients and gear (brewing, kegging, beery parenphenalia) to date

It's a hobby

Cheers

Hear Hear, Jazza.

I love big belgians, and as much as I'd love to buy a case, It's hell cheaper to brew it.
And the savings when you're brewing an exotic beer really stand out, when you're looking at $20-ish a tallie at the shops.

+1

It hurts my head to even consider tallying up my brewing costs so I just close my eyes & think nice beer thoughts. :lol:

TP

+1

It hurts my head to even consider tallying up my brewing costs so I just close my eyes & think nice beer thoughts. :lol:

TP

Yes! A paper trail can be used as incriminating evidence. Pays to stay one step ahead of the SWMBO posse in this regard. It only serves to remind. :ph34r:

Warren -

Just thought of another cost I did not include

220gms of LDME for two litre yeast starter cost $2.65 per 20 litre batch

Pumpy :)

How about research costs for a new style?

Ive just started brewing belgian beers this year. Ingredient costs are one thing. Adding my research costs would be too scary.

cheers
Andrew.

+1

TP

Beer.jpg

I've become a student of saving my yeast for next time and am currently researching (Dirty Job ;) ) single hop beers.

The grain is the cheap part, I'm making an IPA this weekend and I have four varieties of hops in it...THAT gets exy!

I have a coule of single hop APA's conditioning which if I reuse my yeast cost around $25 for 25L

We use Attache' to keep an inventory of all things brewing.
We don't care about capital costs. It is a hobby after all.
Don't count utilities either.
We farm the yeast, have 16 different types in slants, so cost is almost nothing except extra wort to grow starters.
We bought a whole pallet of grain so cost is as low as we can get it.
We also buy hops by the kilo to save as much as possible.

I just got back from a trip to Darwin.....Drank Coopers pale ale while up there...cost $45.95 a slab of stubbies. Went through four slabs, plus two cartons of xxxx gold for the wife at $35 each....
Less than two weeks and I spent as much as I can make great beer for and would have had 32 cases worth.
So cost is nothing really. Most single batches cost us $16 or less.
Cheers,
Bud

Budwiser, thats a good story :rolleyes: , I dont keep track becos some I tip out some i drink, some yeasts I use 10x some i use once, to me its a hobby and the variables are just that......... variable. Neither here nor there the cost`s of ingredients, on the other hand i would never get carried away with the setup, dont forget too include your outlay in your cost`s,, if. looking at it that closely.

Here is a simple English Mild Material costs, with the 'On costs' I stated in the post ,virtually doubles the cost of a 40 litre batch .theses oncosts would increase for 23 litre batches

5kg Ale malt $12.75
0.37 TF Pale Crystal $2.22
0.27 Dark Crystal $1.35
.08 Carafa III $0.48
59gms EKG $5.38
irish moss /Nutrient $ 1.00

Total cost of 40 litres $24.23

Grain Freight $7.50
LPG GAS $5.00
Cleaners $1.50
Equipment wear & tear $3.00
Spoilt stock $1.00
Co2 Gas /bottle rental $6.31

Total On costs $23.81

Grand Total $44.04

Pumpy the Scrooge :eek:

Pumpy the Scrooge :eek:

But, can you get it under a dollar a litre? Its not petrol.

And, it adds up too $48 bucks, you gotta try harder tightazz :)

Sounds realistic to me. I estimate my costs at around $35 a (25L) batch and that's without looking too closely at the on going costs. I include gas and water filtration, but not things like equipment wear and tear and sanitisers.
But even given $44 for 23L, that's ~$22 a carton and well in front of what you'd pay for well crafted beer.

LOL, I include the ingredients and thats it....

Sanitiser and other costs don't count, in the same way I don't include washing up liquid and the gas bill in the fortnightly food budget....

And remember, when all else fails, send the missus to buy you a decent 6pk at the local bottle shop..........

I think we are all kidding ourselves as to the true cost of our beer .

Fair enough , but be honest about the true cost .

Double it !!!!

Pumpy (the realist ) ;)

Consider that you get paid, what $20/hr? It takes 5-6 hours for a full all grain brew, start to finish? So add an extra $120 to the cost of a 40 litre brew.

Add that to Pumpys cost of about $44 and you are looking at $160 for a double batch.....ouch.

Course, our time is worth nothing as we enjoy it right?

I know Pumpy excluded it originally, but as he said, we are kidding ourselves about the real cost of our efforts.

Reading this really makes me realize I need to start bulk buying my base malt. I've been buying it in per batch- just not worth it! Guess I need a mill next....$$$$

Latest posts

Back