Cost Of Brewing As A Hobby

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Ok I have been AG brewing since around Feb/March this year. Been trying to avoid SWMBO and the Christmas onslaught so have been hiding out in the brewery. Whilst cleaning up I came across my purchases file and started to tally what I have spent to date on this brewing hobby. Lets just say I was just a little floored by the results.

30lt Fermenter x 821625lt Cubes x 811260lt Fermenter x 215840lt Glass Demi's118Refractor74Ball Valves84Barbs27Silicon Hose15355lt Willow (MT)11980lt Ali Pot16060lt Ali Pot130False Bottom75Rambo Burner180Crown Urn 40lt280Dial Thermometers x 3216Chiller Plate Mk2129Brew Rig Frame350Tempmates x 3 312Extension Cords38Plumbing Bits and Pieces200Gate Valves x 384Water hoses and connections220Welding/Brazing odds and sods150SS Clamps etc93Hop sock25Beer Filter and bits249Beersmith29Hydro jar14Hydro's x 3395lt Flasks150Kegs * 12792Co2 Bottle 6kg280Reg148Beer lines30John Guest bits80SS 1kg Scoop29SS Mash Paddle293lt Jug282lt Jug glass35Thermometers x 245Celli Taps250Bottle Cappers x 342Scales69Fridges x 4600Brewery Bench250Marga Mill129MM SS Mill upgrade270Motor and Rig for mill345HERMS UPGRADEMarch Pump290Valves7211.5lt SS pot20Copper Tube60Element 2200W12Silicon Tubing51Barbs, bit and pieces70Tempmates x 2188Switches28Power Sockets18Glands8BUS Bar28Wiring odds and sods25Aluminium Tape59Insulation for MT308594
I am positive I have at least another $200 of gear, odds and sods. Anywho add another $3687 for grains, adjuncts, cleaners, scourers etc etc and we get the grand total of $12,281. Sound like a heap huh?

Well let me break it back then to some reality. I brewed 1796lt of beer which equals approximately 200 cartons. Now even before I began brewing I refused to drink cheap crappy beer so I will average it out, what $40 for ya Toohey's New and say $60 for Peroni/Crown/Import etc sound fair? So lets say that I would have spent at least $50 average per carton minimum. That's $10,000 straight up over the same volume. Now I used to also go to the pub very regularly and never missed a Friday Arvo session so I used to spend a minium $100 on beer and the GG's. Since home brewing I don't go to the pub, well very rarely, so lets say 30 trips to the pub at $100 a go there's another $3000. Plus I won't factor I'm at the Pub better get on the GG's, as I am known to have a flutter here and there, but nowhere as much as I used to. At least $13,000 a year easy I would have spent. Geeze haven't even added in spirits etc.

The wash up is I am at least $700 in front for the year! :p And will be even more in front next year as 90% of the equipment I have bought will out live me. That's provided I am doing the same volumes which I doubt I will be as I will only be really brewing for me and Dad.

Lesson learnt is buy the very best you can, even save a little longer or harder for the equipment you want, as good equipment will last for years and years without fail. It will cost you less in the long run. I really hate having to replace inferior gear I bought on the cheap ends up like payig for it twice IMO.

Anyhow that's been my experience to date and you could buy things cheaper and better no doubt. But that's half the fun really. I could have also sold reduntant gear but always prefer to pass on any brewing gear to my fellow brewers.

Merry Christmas!

Chap Chap

Amen brother, great advice.

You can't put a price on good beer!

So to provide a quick summary for my missus:

"Brewing is a really cheap hobby darling"

I think it must be said, to put some bearing on this...

You really don't need to spend that much on equipment! :)

Hmm.. you must have some crazy set up, mate!
I started AG brewing this past 12 months.

My P&L and balance sheet would look more like this:
$000 Mash tun.... council clean up
$000 Manifold... coucil clean up
$055 Misc T pieces and taps
$100 Fermenter, Taps, airlocks
$500 grain ($100 in stock)
$250 hops ($150 in stock)
$190 yeast and bits
$052 50 litre stainless boiler from ebay
$000 four cubes 2nd hand from the vets
$040 sugar, dex, dried malt
$100 electricity for water heating, say
total....$1287

Now.. I made 41 x 20 litre batches last year, and threw two out as they were filth... so I make that 820litres of beer

Given that over 2/3 the beer I make is 7% or more, I created enuf beer to pay nearly $2500 in excise, or 120 cartons, showing me my average cost to be $10.70 per carton for mountains of Belgian styled beer!

I reckon thats pretty damn fine!
I know I dont make beer as good as the Trappist monks, but Im willing to say its well worth more than 1/15th the price of the what Trappist monks make.

Now.. lucky my time has no value... :D

One thing you haven't accounted for is "your time". 5 hrs brewing, more time cleaning, more time kegging/bottling... Hey, I'm not gonna stop, but when I think I'm getting a slab's worth for $10ish (depending on brew), that is not entirely correct. It takes me 10 minutes to walk to the bottlo and buy a slab, but it takes much more of my time that I could be doing other things to actually make a brew.

This is a hobby and I enjoy most parts of the process, but cleaning isn't all that enjoyable. As they say, "Time is money!".

Well if I start at the glass and work backwards the actual equipment has worked out at:

kegerator
gas
hand trolley
glassware mostly from op shops
4 kegs

Urn
bags and hoist gear
hopsock
stirrers

4 cubes
8 fermenter sets over the year
scales
thermometers

Sundries, such as new airlocks, tubing, keg lube, bottle caps, Starsan, Perc

Equipment: 2830

Now the ingredients

Hmmm... hard to say, as I have done the odd kits and bits as well. I would allow $30 to be totally realistic. 53 brews basically since I went grain brewing etc, so make that

Ingredients: 1590

I won't try to factor in the electricity.

So that's $4420 for the year. Comes in a bit cheaper than Chappo's

But my equipment inventory is more slim than his. If I were to stop brewing tomorrow that would work out at 53 brews x 30 bottles = 1590 tallies or $2.77 per tallie.

However I should amortize my equipment over several years, say three years and that would give me $2533 per year total. Ooops add recurring gas = say $2850. That works out at $1.78 per tallie.

At around a dollar a stubbie that's not a lot cheaper than a slab of Oettinger for less than $30.

However I get to drink real ales, my own lagers and participate in a lot of social activity with new buddies, so I still think it's worth it.

I've known guys who restored Toranas etc and what would they pay for a new carburettor with a chromed air filter cover sticking out of a hole in the bonnet? :eek:

Home brewing is a great hobby imo, as such the $$$ spent are a distant concern compared to the enjoyment I get from brewing and sampling said brews!

We all need something to do in our spare time... I love it.

Cost? Just like Chap Chap... dont ask!!!!! :p

Mum's the word Rav's.

Anywho I don't feel ripped off by any stretch. I already have upgrade Mk3 "Sherman" in the planning stages. I guess the great thing about this hobby is you really can do it as cheaply or expensive as you want. Also $'s spent doesn't equal great beers so the playing field is always level like some other hobbies I have been involved with.

Oh here's the breakup which didn't turn out so good in the OP.

Lots of little purchases sure add up.

View attachment Brewing_Cost_2009.pdf

I have a little spreadsheet I use to track the inventory as I go along to ensure I have enough of the ingredients I need for future brews. I added some columns in for pricing as well as the size of each batch and the savings based on a $50 carton (like you chappo figured it was about an average figure). After just spending over $260 on ingredient last week I'm in front by $400 based on brewing savings. However I'll need to brew more and also try to improve the effeciency of each brew in order to cover the $4000+ spent on equipment (and hopefully no more infections).

And I'll get there dammit.

I've known guys who restored Toranas etc and what would they pay for a new carburettor with a chromed air filter cover sticking out of a hole in the bonnet? :eek:

man I would love an LC, LJ or LX coupe.

man I would love an LC, LJ or LX coupe.

LJ would do me Brad! But a pair of LH's would be the bomb!

753513_12_full.jpg

Sorry to be back on topic, but doesn't that mean that the $719 saving that Chappo has made is only about 5.8%? That doesn't sound as impressive. Next year, of course will be the awesome savings, but this year looks about even.

Ok, I'm sorry. I'm on holidays and bored, and waiting for my wort to boil... :D

Edit - Get maths right...

On the equipment side...

2 fermenters (plus lids/airlocks/taps,etc) - Free
Pot with ball valve, thermowell, heating element & bag - Free (Thanks SpillsMostOfIt)
Bottles - $30. (Most were free - Thanks Reg)
3 hydrometers - $20 (But SWMBO can't complain cause SHE is the one who keeps breaking them!)
Bench capper - $60
Fridge - Free (Thanks Fents)
Tempmate + other stuff - $80
Cube - Free (Thanks WarmBeer)

Ingredients wise I've been between $40 and $50 a brew, but those costs are going down, down, down as I get smarter with the purchases.

Overall, it's been my cheapest hobby to date :)

One important difference between this and other "Hobbies" is that we get a return on our costs....that cant be said for my other hobby which is clay target shooting, you cant even get a feed out of it....and im too scared to add any costs involved with that....suffice to say i know at least a dozen guys that have spent what it would take to buy a new C class merc through the barrels of there guns (just the price of ammo) and we wont get into the price of quality guns.......

Same for most other hobbies..

Mash tun $40, Keggle $50, Burner $50.... Having good beer on tap 24/7..... Priceless

Aaron

Back