Cost Of Brewing As A Hobby

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All up including equiptment and my bar with 4 tap set up ive spent close to 3K, my wife keeps asking when its going to get cheaper!! Ive been allgraining for 18months now and am very happy with my set up so my savings will start next year!

Cheers
KHB

Well, it's probably cheaper than alot of other hobbies, and lets face it.

Golf/Surfing/Restoring classic cars doesn't have the advantage of producing beer at the same time....

All up including equiptment and my bar with 4 tap set up ive spent close to 3K, my wife keeps asking when its going to get cheaper!! Ive been allgraining for 18months now and am very happy with my set up so my savings will start next year!

Cheers
KHB

Sure they will B)

I'm a very low tech brewer so my set up was pretty inexpensive and I reckon I've made some nice beers in the last twelve months at a very reasonable cost. I am finding though, that I spend more and more on commercial beers as I expand my beer knowledge. And as my beer knowledge expands, so do I :huh: ,

so then there's the gym membership and all of that cycling gear......

:D

I know I'm a notorious skinflint, but I have to say I am in awe of the estimated outlay on booze and nags...you should get some kind of certificate of appreciation from the AHA and the AJC. Either that or they'll send the boys around to bust up your home brew gear.

all at ahb hereby award chappo the FINE COTTON trophy for services to the Queensland tab :icon_cheers:

It's gotta be cheaper than Tiger Wood's hobby.

Bonking lots of women who aren't his wife will cost him millions.

He should have stuck to golf and maybe taken up brewing to fill his spare hours.

It's gotta be cheaper than Tiger Wood's hobby.

Bonking lots of women who aren't his wife will cost him millions.

He should have stuck to golf and maybe taken up brewing to fill his spare hours.

Gold! :lol:

why dno't you take that $700 an get them piles fixed chappo? :rolleyes:

I used to be right into amateur astronomy, I found I was just too busy to be staying up all night so I don't do so much anymore.

Now brewing as a hobby seems basically free in comparison. Also when I sell a few little astronomy things they will get replaced by much more impressive large brewery bling things!

As a hobby brewing pays for itself.... I love it! Like everyone says, there are MUCH more expensive hobbies out there, basically all of them work out more than brewing.

It's my hobby.................................who gives a flying **** :lol:

As someone elsewhere said "Homebrewers will go to any expense to make cheap beer".

HD

No way in the world I want to make cheap beer......................can buy that anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screwy

I think the other thing to remember is kegs will stay the same price, new taps will depreciate, old taps and fonts will stay similar price.

For Me I think the following would stay the same price +-10%

Freezer - 148
10 Kegs - 560
Gas Bottle 170
Fonts + Taps - 400
Manifold - 120
20 x Disconnects - 200
2 temp mates - 120
Drip Tray - 30

then there is another 500 in fermenters, cubes, line, clamps, jel, etc.. that would be lost.

cheers
Matt

Here's an interesting comparison.

Homebrewing vs Fishing

Most homebrewers when all is said and done will come out ahead financially compared to the cost of buying beer.

I doubt there are many anglers who could say that the fish they actually catch make the hobby 'pay for itself'.

Hrmmm I dont really want to think about what ive spent this year. I'd say close to $3k

That said its one of my cheaper hobbies. Yep I'm an angler (fresh water fly), an audio enthusiast and a rev head. My last money pit (1971 HQ monaro coupe) became the deposit on my house when I sold it. I dont think I'll ever spend that kind of coin on brewing.

Actually just thought about this - I've owned single channel amplifiers worth more than what I've spent on brewing this year. Might put that to the minister of war and finance when shes bitching about my spending

Those prices make me glad I've got a small garage. However there's always space to squeeze in more brew toys.

Here's an interesting comparison.

Homebrewing vs Fishing
Homebrewing wins hands down!

I'm a keen fisherman as well and lets just say a trip to the Fish Co-Op once a fortnight would work out 1000x cheaper than owning a boat and all the crapola that goes along with it. Funny I fish to relax but I find I get the same effect when brewing?

Back