What Are Your Costs (or Savings) In Home Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Develop a taste for expensive & hard to find belgian (or insert other great brewing country) beers.
Check out the case prices at Dan Murphys, 1st Choice, etc
Learn how to brew the styles instead.
Boom! You are now saving $100 or so per case.

That's a win for homebrewing.

Develop a taste for expensive & hard to find belgian (or insert other great brewing country) beers.
Check out the case prices at Dan Murphys, 1st Choice, etc
Learn how to brew the styles instead.
Boom! You are now saving $100 or so per case.

That's a win for homebrewing.

reminds of the jewish kid that ran home behind the bus to save 20c, gets home and his father tells him off, saying "you should have run behind a taxi and saved $10.00"

reminds of the jewish kid that ran home behind the bus to save 20c, gets home and his father tells him off, saying "you should have run behind a taxi and saved $10.00"
Haha, Love it.

My first brew in a while is stacking up big time. 70L SS robinox, craycooker burner, new chest freezer, CO2 bottle and then there are the brew ingredients.
Think this batch comes in at ~$1k

Costs me about $1 per litre to make really delicious beer that I would otherwise be paying $10 - $15 / litre for.
I reckon I have almost recouped the cost of my urn, bag and mill already, and I still have 70 - 80kg of grain left from a bulk buy, and about a kilo of various hops. By the middle of the year I will have covered the cost of my kegging setup easily. Its really nice always having good beer to drink, but hardly ever having to pay much for it. :)

I don't think you can put a price on something you love doing and although im very much a novice in all grain brewing im still making WAY better beer than $40 a carton beer.
The brewing side cost me around $5000 and the fermenting side cost me maybe $2000 with 3 fridges and Erlenmeyer's etc Stock probably costs me $200-$300 at the moment per month but im getting better with my brewing and making so many styles iv'e never tried before and loving it....... I could walk down the road and get a carton yay! I was about to stop drinking before I found all grain.
:beerbang:

I've saved enough to buy myself a small chicken.

No idea really anymore. My brews cost less per bottle than a commercial equivalent (presuming there is one available) but I invest a lot of time and a fair bit of my non-disposable income in ingredients, equipment building, brewing books etc.

As long as I can afford it without starving and as long as I keep enjoying it, I figure I'm ahead. That's enough for me.

I also spend more money on commercial beer than I used to because the commercial beer I now buy is far more expensive than that I used to buy (I get less of it for more money).

Don't know how it balances up, don't really care. I love drinking beer, brewing beer, talking beer, learning about beer and sharing beer.

Agreed brother.

*bumps fist*

DONT CARE!!!!!!,said it before same as owning the 30k fishing boat and only going out once a month and getting a couple of flatties(nothing wrong with em,best fish in the ocean)Sometimes your hobbies cost a few pennies :icon_chickcheers:

I'm really bad at keeping a book about my expenses. But I do notice that since I started brewing again, even it's spending on this and that, keeping it relatively simple, I actually have cash left in my pocket after paying the car off too!
Last year, this time, I was buying stacks and going through a fair bit (the tropics build a fair thirst) and had bugger all left in the pocket. And me n my roughly a litre a day (max) beer drinking.

I don't really want to know how much I have spent on my hobbies over the years....could probably have bought myself a new car by now. All I want to know is when I can next brew and how good its going to be

I havnt read any other posts, but im sure i know what most contain.

For me... its not about saving or cost. It was in the start, but now....... they could make tooheys new $5 a carton and i would still make my own beer.

I do it for the fun... its my hobby, i do it for the adventure of producing something new different i cany buy, and i do it cause i like gadgets and Stainless Steel

my 2c :)

Now that I am into AG and harvesting yeast I am down to $1 per liter for the ingredients. One of my more expensive brews (and quite possibly the best to date) was a chocolate hazelnut porter (extract based) which set me back $60 or so for 23 liters. The joy of going AG (& BIAB) is great because it totally opens up the world of homebrewing. No style is now out of reach and it helps keep costs down once you have the hardware.

i save all that time and money driving to dans for beer....... i still drive there for wine to keep the wife happy

I brew just to hear the relaxing sound of the airlock bubbling - bloop bloop bloop.

DONT CARE!!!!!!,said it before same as owning the 30k fishing boat and only going out once a month and getting a couple of flatties(nothing wrong with em,best fish in the ocean)Sometimes your hobbies cost a few pennies :icon_chickcheers:

Slightly :icon_offtopic: Yep, flathead fishing ,
(best on lures in a shallow, hidden Qld. estuary ) 'most under rated table fish and (Braumeister brewing), the most fun you can have with yer pants on and who cares what it costs!

Hang on, who would have thought??????? Beer battered flathead tails ! :beerbang:

Home Brewing saves tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. If I wasn't home brewing I'd probably be doing one of the following in my spare time:

Ballroom dancing: up to $150 an hour in lessons, about $1500 for entry level competition.
Comic book collecting: over $100000 for the origional superman comic.
Photography: $30000 in equipment and $1000 for a trip to take photos.
Tornado Chasing: Last minute flights to america $10000 each
Facebook: $1 to buy a friend a digital birthday gift x 1000000 people you've never seen = $1000000 a year.
Faberge Egg collecting: Start from $2 million a pop
Golf: Latest driver to get you that 10mm further = $2000 a pop
Faberge Egg Golf: Starts from $2 million a hole
Pisser ... LOVE it ... its how that biatch rolls

I havnt read any other posts, but im sure i know what most contain.

For me... its not about saving or cost. It was in the start, but now....... they could make tooheys new $5 a carton and i would still make my own beer.

I do it for the fun... its my hobby, i do it for the adventure of producing something new different i cany buy, and i do it cause i like gadgets and Stainless Steel

my 2c :)

My $5 worth Tony ...

Hell yeah .. beer is not beer .. and the liver is evil ... god knows it needs to be punished ... but be nice and punish it with Good beer not Mega swill !!!

Back