What Are Your Costs (or Savings) In Home Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it goes like this for me...

I made my first drinkable beer which turned out to become a lager instead of a belgian blonde due to my LHBS selling me the wrong yeast.
I get excited.. find out there are decent online HBS's, try liquid yeasts. Get temperature control.. get kegs.. get taps and font... get an urn... get a ball valve for the urn.. buy a BIAB bag...

and its still the beginning.. haha.

I almost forgot. Tried decent beers, go back to average beers.. not worth drinking.. buy a beermasons membership.. go and buy some beers while I wait for the pack..

So all up.. im probably down almost 1k so far... but damn its good to have a hobby! As for the title, I have to disagree. I can't actually be bothered going out anymore unless they have decent beers because home brewing has ruined (enlightened as someone corrected me) my taste buds. I can make a better beer using a can and some hops let alone putting some effort in with grains.

I can't actually be bothered going out anymore unless they have decent beers because home brewing has ruined (enlightened as someone corrected me) my taste buds. I can make a better beer using a can and some hops let alone putting some effort in with grains.
Yep, this is the one downside when you start brewing awesome beer.

A couple of weeks ago I didn't bother going to the Tamar Valley Beerfest.
Work was slow, so watching the pennies.
Nothing there I haven't tried (except maybe xxxx summer ale, and some "special" offering from Boags for the event).
Wooden boat festival was on at same time - and free.
I had 3 kegs of delicious AG beer at home.
$$$ saved right there. :)

I think the real savings are if you like those speciality beers such as the last brew I made in which was a Belgian strong dark ale equivalent to a chimay blue label which costs up to $9 a 330ml in the store if not more and for approx $20 - $25 I brewed a beer in which was similar and as satisfying as the real thing.

So lets say 64 bottles of 330ml = ($25 / 64) = $0.39 VS $9.00 for 1 x 330ml bottle

Can any one else see the benefit of AG brewing? or brewing in general?

:lol: :kooi:

Slightly OT but I just did a cost testing on Obelix (my keezer) only yesterday.

Running a full 320L Chesty with collar + STC1000 & computer fan which is on 24/7 was 23c for 24 hours (& 38 minutes).

My idea of good maths

Dan's
Franziskaner Hefe Weissbier 500mL x20 =$89.99 or $8.99 a litre

Wayne's
HB Bavarian Hefe Weissbier 19lt x 2= $50 or $1.32 a litre (price includes all ingredients gas, electricity)

Also my Hefe Weissbier doesn't have any of those travel related and poor handling issues the one's at Dan's tend to have.

Slightly OT but I just did a cost testing on Obelix (my keezer) only yesterday.

Running a full 320L Chesty with collar + STC1000 & computer fan which is on 24/7 was 23c for 24 hours (& 38 minutes).

$20 a powerbill? That's pretty good I reckon.

Yeah Nick that's right.

I used one of these kits
HEAT.JPG

But it is the PowerMate in the kit that measures the costs and energy/power.

$20 a quarter is pretty good imo.

Dont care. Probably would of been cheaper to but VB all these years. :)

Back