Do You Keep Track Of Your Brewing Costs ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are currently on special, 3 for $75..........

Almost tempted to grab some.

I set all my prices in BeerSmith to $0.

That way, I don't worry about it.

It's a hobby, and I'm danged sure it's cheaper than my golf club membership and twice weekly comp fees.

I'm not about to give up either of them.

Do You Keep Track Of Your Brewing Costs ?,

Defiantly not! Somethings are best not advertised around here ;)

Batz

I enjoy brewing. Cost is not an issue. I know it's cheaper than buying good beer, so I have no case to answer to the Minister of Domestic Affairs.

I cant believe how many people keep record off costs.

KHB

I've started keeping closer records of my brewery related purchases over the last year.

Basically I have the prices of the ingredients for each brew in the recipe, then work out the total for that brew. Of course it's not a very good estimate of how much the brew really cost because alot of the ingredients I'll use for other batches. So one batch might cost $200, but that might only be because I bought a whole sack of grain, and some hops, and a liquid yeast to make starters out of. And it'll end up with a few batches cost like $5, or nothing.

If I got my ass in gear, I could simply just average out all of the costs and get a price per brew. It's simple enough...

Costs of brew materials are definitely on the up and up. Bought a 25Kg bag of Weyerman Munich last week which set me back $95.00. I note Ross's Wyeast has taken a big jump and hops have moved up. Our dollar is hitting the low end of the scale for reasons that have got me wacked so all in all I guess imported materials move up accordingly. IMHO HB is a lot better product than the what the big breweries are turning out and even with escalating material costs still a hell of a lot cheaper and making beer is a fun pastime as you get to drink on the job no worries,

Cheers..................does anyone who has drank Ironhouse Pils know what hop they are using. Just cant put my finger on it.

I don't get too worried about the cost of this hobby. It' definatley cheaper than my waterskiing hobby. Had a look at the price of fuel. Boats?

I do update the prices in beersmith just to give me an idea of the cost of each brew. I allow myself to expand on my kit every now and then at a guestimate level where I can see that I am still in front of buying my beer.

Gavo.

With the impending recession ( three consecutive periods of negative growth)

My brewing costs have been coming under scrutiny frm SWMBO when checking her budget.

I have been accussed of significant 'Brewery Blowout costs to budget'

Some brews can be in excess of $80 per 40 litres whist some simple brews can be 50% less $40 per 40 litre batch so its worth keeping a track on these things .

In an attempt to monitor my costs per brew I have updated the prices on my Beersmith of my raw materials being more realistic about the costs for example. so Beersmith can give me a REALISTIC TOTAL COST PER BATCH

These are unseen cost incurred in brewing which OK one accept but I would like to account for adding to the Misc in Beersmith tpo pick up these costs :-

FREIGHT based on ( for 6Kg of speciality grain @ $ 9.00 per Post bag) eg 2kg of speciality grain in a recipe freight would be $3.00 (Ok sometimes I pick it up but then that incurs petrol cost .)

LPG/ENERGY in the recipe 2. KG of LPG @ $ 2.50 Kg to pick up energy costs

CLEANERS SANITISERS & WATER nominal cost per batch of $1.50

TIME 6 hours @ Zero $ per Hour ( just out of interest if you want to add a cost to it)

EQUIPMENT WEAR & TEAR & REPAIR broken thermometers , Hydrometers , Conical flasks $3.00 per brew (this cost could well be more based on breaking and replacing one a year )

SPOILT STOCK I have little which I dump .( however I did buy towo files of yeast at $20 out of date which failed to start ) that is about $1.00 per brew spoilt
stock

CO2 RENTAL /PLUS GAS (Edited thanks to Pollux suggestion) $ 120 per year divided by 19 X40 lite batches $6.31 per batch

This is an exercise of not being 'pedantic about costs' but just realising the true value of a batch of our beloved brew .

Are there any other unseen costs I am missing :unsure: to help me manage my brewing oncosts .?

Pumpy the Scrooge :)

just a refresher of the original post, as reading the answers from some poor souls .

there must be a few who were too pissed to read the question ;)

Pumpy :D

Glassware???

Although you'd have that any way if you were drinking commercial.

Well
I wish my well was deeper.
My time available left for brewing keeps the costs down ATM.
I planned to brew once a month but that has occured for 18 months I reckon.

So brewing AGs maybe 6 times a year and brewing whatever there is time for in between, it costs me around $30/month.

That is not calculating electricity and gas and sporadic purchases online. Another ~$25/month
In comparison of going to play golf (I wish) or going to the club that is peanuts.

matti

Water chemistry, ie 5.2 stabiliser, calcium sulphate, etc.
Fermenters don't last forever either and I seem to chuck away a plastic tap every 2nd brew.
And you seem to have neglected capital equipment costs would should be depreciated over time with an average cost allocated per brew within that time frame.
All depends on how far you want to take it.
I take it your ingredient costs include the cost of yeast, and DME in creating starters and the such ?
Water cost includes replacement carbon filters and the such ?

I could work out my price per brew, averaged over the last 43, down to the cent mark. But that'd be boring. Instead, I write up possible recipes for upcoming brews based on what ingredients I've got in stock and/or would like to drink.

Seriously though, I think when I was K&King that my average brew was around the $25 mark, with el-cheapos being $18 and high-end stuff $30+. Now I'm BIABing, I think its around the $25 to $35 mark based on a 5kg base malt brew with a half to full kilo of additional grain to bring up to style and then hopping from 50 to 80g for the brew. Also added in is gas costs of a few bucks. I figure that my kettle and burner will see hell freeze over and perhaps the sun explode, whichever happens first, so the cost doesn't matter.

After all that, its a hobby I enjoy. And you can't put a price on that.

Cheers - boingk

With the impending recession ( three consecutive periods of negative growth)

My brewing costs have been coming under scrutiny frm SWMBO when checking her budget.

I have been accussed of significant 'Brewery Blowout costs to budget'

Some brews can be in excess of $80 per 40 litres whist some simple brews can be 50% less $40 per 40 litre batch so its worth keeping a track on these things .

In an attempt to monitor my costs per brew I have updated the prices on my Beersmith of my raw materials being more realistic about the costs for example. so Beersmith can give me a REALISTIC TOTAL COST PER BATCH

These are unseen cost incurred in brewing which OK one accept but I would like to account for adding to the Misc in Beersmith tpo pick up these costs :-

FREIGHT based on ( for 6Kg of speciality grain @ $ 9.00 per Post bag) eg 2kg of speciality grain in a recipe freight would be $3.00 (Ok sometimes I pick it up but then that incurs petrol cost .)

LPG/ENERGY in the recipe 2. KG of LPG @ $ 2.50 Kg to pick up energy costs

CLEANERS SANITISERS & WATER nominal cost per batch of $1.50

TIME 6 hours @ Zero $ per Hour ( just out of interest if you want to add a cost to it)

EQUIPMENT WEAR & TEAR & REPAIR broken thermometers , Hydrometers , Conical flasks $3.00 per brew (this cost could well be more based on breaking and replacing one a year )

SPOILT STOCK I have little which I dump .( however I did buy towo files of yeast at $20 out of date which failed to start ) that is about $1.00 per brew spoilt
stock

CO2 RENTAL /PLUS GAS (Edited thanks to Pollux suggestion) $ 120 per year divided by 19 X40 lite batches $6.31 per batch

This is an exercise of not being 'pedantic about costs' but just realising the true value of a batch of our beloved brew .

Are there any other unseen costs I am missing :unsure: to help me manage my brewing oncosts .?

Pumpy the Scrooge :)

Just thought of another cost I did not include

220gms of LDME for two litre yeast starter cost $2.65 per 20 litre batch

Pumpy :)

I like to know how much a brew costs me, yes cost is an issue, but not to the point where I wouldnt brew something big and expensive cos it cost too much, only to the point where I cant afford to brew twice a week :lol:

Plus I think its cool to be able to say "Yeah I can brew 20 litres of beer for about $15"

Had a mate ask me to make a Hoegaarden type of beer. The cost of a yeast vial, fermentables, spices and hops was up around the $50-$60 for 25 Litres. Better that the $150 per case he was quoted...

Hear Hear, Jazza.

I love big belgians, and as much as I'd love to buy a case, It's hell cheaper to brew it.
And the savings when you're brewing an exotic beer really stand out, when you're looking at $20-ish a tallie at the shops.

Back