Do Pluto Guns Diminish Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
A brew buddy and I often make the same recipes, but his usually taste better to me. Putting aside psychosomatics and possible variations in brew process, I wondered if it simply came down to how the beer was dispensed - because the main difference between he and I was that he dispenses using a fancy-pants perlick setup on his kegerator while I'm still using stainless steel pluto guns like a pleb.

To test, I transferred some of my latest Zythos IPA batch into my portable party keg with a brumby tap and proceeded to have a sip from a full schooner poured from a) the party keg with tap, and b ) the corny keg with pluto gun. Then I finished both schooners and continued to have another.. it's a nice IPA. The differences were very apparent - although I can't pinpoint what exactly the difference is.. and I put that down to lack of experience, but I felt there was a lack of maltiness in the beer dispensed from the Pluto gun.

My initial thoughts are that the Pluto gun, when dispensing at 80kpa @ 2deg Celsius, is losing some of the carbonation as it agitates the beer as it poures, so I'm drinking a less-carbonated pour compared to the party keg with tap.

mtb said:
fancy-pants perlick
I think you're right with the psychosomatic effect.
In fact, you have Perlick envy.
I serve with a Pluto gun, until the kg freezer is running, and have no problem with it.
Have you tried cleaning the gun by running hot cleaner through it and a nice hot, then cold water rinse? It's like a make-over for your beer gun.

haha.. yes I definitely have Perlick envy. I'll try giving the Pluto a good soak & wash and see how I go from there

I've got two taps on the fridge and a couple of plutos for when I have more than 2 beers running and have never found them to be a problem!

I had a few flavour issues recently and was wondering if I was going to finish the keg or tip it. I then gave my gun a good clean and it is one of my fav beers. Mine seems to gunk up a lot more than my tap.

Also worth cleaning/changing your beer line to the gun. Something a lot of people dont seem to bother too much with.

And never leave beer in the line, especially if it's polythene.

A few years back I was called in to do some work for a consultancy, their client had a multi bottle wine dispense system with inert gas counterpressure, all beautifully plumbed to a central station. They were getting huge and seemingly random problems with oxidation.

It turned out that some nong had used PE hose for some of the runs: PE is a very poor oxygen barrier so the wines were oxidising in the PE lines.

Commercial dispense lines are a special coextrusion, one of the polymers is a reasonably high oxygen barrier.

Lots of people seem to think that the beer is under positive CO2 pressure so the oxygen can't diffuse in. Unfortunately that's not how physics works.

There's a lot of that psychosomatic stuff that happens in the homebrew world.

pcmfisher said:
There's a lot of that psychosomatic stuff that happens in the homebrew world.
image_thumb.png

Another factor could be serving temperature. A beer that's too cold will not exhibit many qualities.

Latest posts

Back