Keg dispensing 101? (newbie)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanvonbeerenstein

Reaction score
Hey all, long time lurker, first time brewer!
Apologies if this has been answered in other threads but i havnt been able to find anything on it so far.

I have recently accquired a basic kegging setup with a 2.6kg co2 tank and reulator as well as one of those 16gm co2 party chargers. I plan on kegging and aging in my 19ltr corny and transferring to the little 9ltr corny to keep in the fridge and take to parties and bbq's.
Ive got the fundamentals down but am struggling to wrap my brain around dispensing pressures and whether it varies at different temperatures?
If i take my pre-chilled 9ltr corny in an esky full of ice to a bbq and hookup my pluto tap and co2 with regulator, where do i go from there to dispense with ease?

Also if i were to force carbonate a keg fresh out of the fridge (so that it takes on the co2 more readily) would the carbonation be affected if it were to rise back up to room temperature after carbonating?

Sorry for the muddle of questions, i hope its clear enough!
Thanks

Nath,

Why not serve out of the19l corny?
Or brew a batch big enough that you get 19L and a 9L keg out of.

You can then avoid the transferring step and there is generally less f*cking about all told.

If you havent got one, highly recommend building or buying a kegerator / keezer to house your kegs and kegging gear.

For my ales at home I keg them and leave them hooked up to CO2 between 80-100kpa for 2 weeks in a 4-5 deg C keezer.
For my lagers I up the pressure (to make them more gassy) to about 110-120kpa and leave for 2 weeks, same temp.

Works for me.

There are many ways to skin this kegging cat, and many variables to consider (personal preference, beer style, beverage line length / diameter etc). Everyone's situation is different so you will need to do a little more reading and experimenting to find out what works for you.

With regard to dispensing a portable keg, there are other considerations. As the keg warms for example, gas will escape from the beer and can cause foaming issues. In order to correct this either the prechilled keg needs to stay iced and stable in its temp or serving pressure may need to be increased to keep gas in solution.

Cheers,
D80

Back