Kegging both commercial and HB cornies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuperman

Reaction score
My 30th is coming up in mid-September and I'm having a party in the backyard. The guys that have tried it, love drinking my home brew, so I thought I should put some home brew on for the party.

Having people poor longnecks into glasses all night would be a nightmare in so many ways, so I decided to move to a kegging system (something that I've been procrastinating for years). With some help from AHB members, I've decided to convert my unused chest freezer to a keezer with a dual-tap font.

I was planning on dedicating one tap to home brew, I should have 3 kegs filled by then, and one to a commercial 50L keg. The main reasons were to help me increase the quantity of beer that I have and also for any plebs that prefer it to the HB. I was thinking of buying a type A coupler (plan was to have Tooheys New) plus some ball lock adapters for it so that I can use the standard ball lock disconnects that I will be using once I'm done with the commercial keg. I figure that this won't be a once-off and that the coupler will come in handy down the track.

One thing that I was wondering, was if I would need a dual-gauge regulator to set different pressures between the cornies and the commercial keg(s)? Would there be anything else different in dispensing the commercial keg to the cornies, e.g. line length? Will I have problems getting the two different keg types to both pour well together? Am I biting off more than I can chew by moving to a slightly complicated kegging setup as a newbie with limited time to get things right?

All I have bought so far are 4x 19L ball lock kegs (plus the chest freezer that I already own), so if there is particular equipment that will aid the process, let me know. For example, would flow control taps help me out here?

Also, does anyone know where to hire kegs cheaply in Sydney? Just ask around at pubs? I don't mind paying a deposit for the keg.

Thanks for your help! Sorry about the length.

Drop me a msg.
I can set you up with a keg from Sydney breweries and possibly a few other local breweries.
FYI, a smaller boutique brewery is easier to purchase and rent the keg than say cub etc.

Thanks so much for your help! Message sent.

Any comments on the questions below?

thuperman said:
One thing that I was wondering, was if I would need a dual-gauge regulator to set different pressures between the cornies and the commercial keg(s)? Would there be anything else different in dispensing the commercial keg to the cornies, e.g. line length? Will I have problems getting the two different keg types to both pour well together? Am I biting off more than I can chew by moving to a slightly complicated kegging setup as a newbie with limited time to get things right?
would flow control taps help me out here?

Just bumping this as I'm going to buy the rest of the gear very soon. Main questions remaining:

1. Will I need different pressures (e.g. a dual-output regulator) for the commercial vs home brew kegs?

2. Will I need different line length (currently planning ~2m of 4mm ID beer line)?

3. Will control flow taps help here?

Latest posts

Back