Do I Realy Need A Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nev,

thanks for your reply regarding the power questions.

will pm you to ask some more if that's ok. Will also mean i don't derail the OP's thread any further.

cheers mate,

nath

nath, as said before no worries, I was going to ask these questions soon so keep the answers coming!

can i no chill in my fv and then put into the fridge after?

i am thinking the less vessels less chances of infection.

can i no chill in my fv and then put into the fridge after?
i am thinking the less vessels less chances of infection.
Assuming there's no problem with putting hot wort into your fv
(probably), and the hot wort in the fv can be cooled down quickly
and you're going to pitch yeast as soon as the temp gets low
enough, this would probably be ok.

If you're going to delay pitching to a later, more convenient time,
it's better to no chill in a cube container so you can squeeze out
as much air (which can contain mould spores etc.) as possible
from the cube, take advantage of the hot wort to sterilise the
cube and any remaining headspace, and seal the cube reasonably
easily.

A fv is not really suited for this - need a fair amount of headspace
for the krausen. It would be tough to cool hot wort in a fv quickly
- hot wort in a cube can also take a long time to cool down but it's
protected by being sealed and high initial temps.

T.

[warning: some views regurgitated may be untested but they sound reasonable]
:icon_vomit:

Probably don't even need to sanitize, just make sure they are clean, the hot wort will kill any nasties that
Might be in the cube..
Thats the way I've done it and no chilled about 50 brews with no probs =)
people still do occasionally get infections in their NC cube, so I think it's worth the extra time.

people still do occasionally get infections in their NC cube, so I think it's worth the extra time.
+1
A few minutes extra is well worth not losing the cost of a whole batch.

Nev,

thanks for your reply regarding the power questions.

will pm you to ask some more if that's ok. Will also mean i don't derail the OP's thread any further.

cheers mate,

nath

Easy mate. Hope I can help

Thanks guys,

so what it comes down to is either buy a cube or build a wort chiller?

Hi All,

I have a built in copper coil in my Boiler. It has copper snap lock fittings ( same as garden hose). Once finished boiling, I connect hoses and run cold water through it. I collect the resultant hot water into container for cleaning all my mash equipment, pump, tubes etc. It takes 30min from boil to ~25DegC. By the time I decant into fermenter and aerate it,s ~20DegC.

You should definately use some type of chiller as this will encourage dropout of your suspended proteins ( ColdBreak), Hence, providing a clean wort.
You can buy annealed copper tube ( ~15metres) and 2 compression fittings from any plumbing store cheap. wrap it around something round to get your coil and attach fittings, DONE. You can drop it into your boiler from the get go to sterilize it, then connect garden hose to it when boil finishes or you can put coil into esky of iced water and pump wort through it and back into boiler so as to collect cold break then transfer to fermenter. Some people have even used clear tubing in a tub of iced water.

There are lots of ways to do this and it comes down to what you want and the type of system you have .
This forum has many different and very informative ideas from people who have experimented and made changes and shared their success with the likes of us.

Good Luck and happy brewing :icon_chickcheers:

you want cold break into your fermenter! it doesnt hurt to try to get some of it out but if you take it all out the yeast seems to struggle, Plus you go from 2 lts kettle loss to 6lts kettle loss, I no chill now as it is just easier for me plus I do double batches and want to brew one the next day and cube one for later on.

Back