Do I Need To Cook Rolled Oats Before Mashing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Galaxy is incredibly high in B-Glucanase and is the best choice for high adjunct beers (you still have to use it at 40oC or it just gets denatured). BB pale and Galaxy are high in Alpha and Beta Amylase but not outside the normal range for modern malt, in fact there are several higher Australian base malts.

MHB

Yes that's why it's frustrating not to be able to get it, and subbing Ale ATM, but apparently there's going to be a limited release. I seem to remember shortage last year as well. Fourstar was talking to Cryer at the Weyermann evening in Melbourne and the guy said that BB have a malt so high in diastatic power they wouldn't care to release it to home brewers, something like 400 or 500 Lindner . Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some.

Ok, I have a bag of both rolled and quick oats, which is better to go straight into the mash without cooking first? There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on this.

Thanks. :beerbang:

They're both pre-gelatinised and oats gelatinise at mash temps anyway. So probably just go with the quick oats since they're broken up a little further than rolled.

I am using Rolled Oats as a substitute to Flaked Barley for a Stout as they are basically the same from what I believe

They are not the same.
Of course both oats and barley are cereals, as are rice, teff, corn, wheat and a whole thread full of others.
From an historical point barley in its malted, unmalted and roasted forms is an important part of Irish Stout as the tax laws imposed by the English on the Irish taxed malt, but not barley (raw or roast).
If you don't have unmalted barley you could sub malted barley, otherwise whether you use /sub Uncle Toby's or Polenta or flaked wheat or whatever so long as either the cereal's gelatinisation temp falls within your mash range or it has been already gelatinised by steaming/rolling/flaking.

K

Bear in mind that rolled, quick, instant oats whatever are not actually oatmeal, they are just a sub. Genuine oatmeal is a grainy flour, a bit like semolina or ground rice in consistency only made from oats. I don't know if it's actually available in Australia, it was certainly popular in Scotland and the NE of England when I was a lad for porridge making.

You can still get it. I use it all the time in bread making. The missus also makes oat cakes... yum. For oatmeal stouts I cheat and use instant oats.

Your local hippy food shop may well be able to help out.

Cheers
Dave

For an oatmeal stout I am going to do shortly I had ordered 500g flaked oats but it was missed in the order :( so I was just going to use quick oats from the supermarket. However, there is a bulk food shop near me that sells oatmeal flour - from what I have read in this thread, and just on wikipedia, rolled oats, quick oats and oatmeal and all the same grain - just processed a little differently.

Is there any benefit to me using oatmeal flour (not sure how course it is yet) and boiling it up into a slop to gelatinise it, or just stick with plan B and get the quick oats?

I do BIAB so figure if the oatmeal flour is course it shouldn't be too problematic? Or is it likely to just pour of the the bag and make muddy coloured stout?

Should go ok, I've used plain flour instead of flaked wheat or wheat malt in a Coopers clone and it turned out ok. However I did get more turbulence in the wort and by analogy you might get that with oat flour. Pussonally I'd just go to IGA and get the quick cook rolled oats.

Hey guys, i just did an oatmeal stout. Happy with the flavour, but it has zero head. I've read that oats give good head and retention, but this is hardly anything, and drops to nothing pretty quickly. ???? I used quick oats. At the moment i have the gas on to add some more carbonation, to see if that eill help ( i carbed it on the low side ) but im thinking would doing a cereal mash with the quick oats ensure i get gelatinisation?????

The first oatmeal i ever did , i didn't pre-gelatinise my oats and the sparge took nearly 2 hours :lol: Wasn't quite stuck...just friggin slow...
I have always pre-cooked since...even used 500g as a bit of temp correction....
No sparge probs now !
Cheers
Ferg

I had no dramas at all with the sparge, just the no head thing. THink i might cook it next time just to see if it makes a difference

How much did you use?? I used 8%

Slightly off topic but....................Rolled oats or wheat needs to be cooked to allow the starch busting enzymes to have access to the starch inside the starch granules inside the grain.

If you are adding just rolled grain your enzymes will have limited access to the starchy goodness.

Of course if you are adding the oats for beta glucan then cooking the oats will also liberate this from the grain

It's my impression that rolled oats and flaked barley, whilst they are pregelatinised during the steam rolling process, have a lot more "chewy" matter and of course the B glucan, than flaked rice and maize that can be added to the mash as is, as they are far more refined. Same with cornflakes.

Stout season coming up, I'll cook my next lot (I just use a 750g pack of ALDI quick-cookers)
Edit: as you see from my post last year I just chucked in last time. I was reading a post on Jim's forum where a brewer was complaining that there seemed to be an excessive amount of spent grain left over after his oatmeal stout, even at the expense of getting some wort, and maybe cooking the oats may improve the extraction. I'll try.

Hi,

I am using Rolled Oats as a substitute to Flaked Barley for a Stout as they are basically the same from what I believe, my question is, do i need to cook the oats first? or throw straight in the mash?

If they need to be cooked, is there a specific method for this?

My answer would be "no".

Slightly off topic but....................Rolled oats or wheat needs to be cooked to allow the starch busting enzymes to have access to the starch inside the starch granules inside the grain.

If you are adding just rolled grain your enzymes will have limited access to the starchy goodness.

Of course if you are adding the oats for beta glucan then cooking the oats will also liberate this from the grain
Totally unneccessary to cook any of the rolled grains. They have already been steamed in the rolling process.
Have you ever tried to roll raw grain? All you end up with is smaller bits of raw grain. Hence steamed to soften first.
Nige

Hey guys, i just did an oatmeal stout. Happy with the flavour, but it has zero head. I've read that oats give good head and retention,

Had the same issues with flaked/ quick oats consistently, it gives a smooth silky mouthfeel, but from reading comments from other brewers who have experienced similar its the high oil content in oats that appears to be the culprit, it pours nicely and the head immedietely dies.

Its been a few years since I have used any but I think I had more sucess using 'oat malt"

Cheers,
BB

Latest posts

Back