DIY Kegmenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 26l kegmenters would be perfect. Definitely putting my vote in for these. Perfect for single batch size and a small solera project.
+1 for this. Or even just 26l kegs. It makes sense to offer a single batch option to the folks who are going to buy robobrews from you and will only be able to brew 23 litre batches. The ibrew ones look great but are a bit too exy for me atm.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to put a quick questions out to you guys. We are looking to either make 58Liter Kegmenters or 50L kegmenters. The 58Liter ones are about 40mm higher and the price is only $6 more for the 58L model.

Based on these facts would you guys be more interested in the 58L size or the 50L size?

Some customers seem to be using the Kegmenters for brewing 50L batches so it seems to make sense that if you are going to rack this off into a 50L keg that you have a bit more head space in the fermenter itself.

If you guys were kind enough to vote that would be appreciated and based on the vote we will stock one or the other.
I would like both, the 58 to ferment in and the 50 to transfer to and serve from.

Edit the 26 is a great idea and would be very well received in the market

Hey guys. Thanks for all your feedback. We have decided to go with the 29L and 58L Kegmenters. It seemed like we had slightly more interested in the 58L model so we have settled for these two designs.

I should also say that we will soon have these kegmenters available with the floating dip tube design. So they will have the silicon dip tube with stainless float as you can see in the image here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/4-inch-t...sts-floating-dip-tube-and-prv-red-2-5bar.html

We feel that the floating dip tube is probably the best option for customers wanting to draw the clearest possible liquid from the unit. I assume you guys would be ok with the silicon dip tubes?

Also for your interest we are also starting to stock these concentric reducers so we can recuce the 4inch opening to 2 inch opening. This part allows you to attach one of our Alcoengine reflux stills to your kegmenter then you can fit the kegmenter with a heating element and use the kegmenter as a distillation boiler.

https://www.kegland.com.au/4inch-to-2inch-concentric-reducer-for-kegmenter-still-attachment.html

So this part will alow you to attach these two stills to the Kegmenter:
https://www.kegland.com.au/alcoengine-reflux-pure-distilling-aparatus.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/alcoengine-pure-distilling-pot-still.html

If any of you guys were interested in making a video on using these parts we would pay you to make a video for us. Otherwise we will just make the video ourselves and upload to youtube.

I'd be keen to make a video but I'm guessing we would need to purchase the parts ourselves?

Would the video just be for the attachments or for the kegmenters themselves?

Being in possession of a still greater than 20L requires a license and government regs etc etc, actually any still requires ATO permissions licencing of some sort.
I mean if your going to fracture the law at least have plausible deniability and have the thing in pieces when the Feds turn up. Taking a video of oneself doing so is just ...... well nuff said.

carry on nothing to see here....

I'll do it. I live in NZ and work in Australia, easy to ship parts back in the checked in luggage. It's also legal in NZ. Might be a while off though. Got a couple of other projects on the go atm

Getting into pressure fermenting for less than $120 including spunding valve.:)
Plastic keg, will pressure test the keg tomorrow, seeing as the normal poxy plastic fermenter went above 40 PSI, my confidence is that this will be well in the scope of a pressure ferment.
Fit posts and floating dip tube and away we go. Plastic kegs come in 25, 50 and 60 litres.
This is the 50 litre.
002.JPG

Getting into pressure fermenting for less than $120 including spunding valve.:)
Plastic keg, will pressure test the keg tomorrow, seeing as the normal poxy plastic fermenter went above 40 PSI, my confidence is that this will be well in the scope of a pressure ferment.
Fit posts and floating dip tube and away we go. Plastic kegs come in 25, 50 and 60 litres.
This is the 50 litre.
View attachment 112722
Where did you get the barrel?

Pressure tested the plastic keg to 24 PSI, more than enough for what I need fitted floating dip tube,gas and liquid posts and ready to go. Probably will not get a lot of use apart from family events on the calendar.
001.JPG 002.JPG
May make up a couple more 28 litre cubes and put quick disconnect posts on the so I can use the picnic tap on those for drinking straight from the fermenter.
003.JPG

Pressure tested the plastic keg to 24 PSI, more than enough for what I need fitted floating dip tube,gas and liquid posts and ready to go. Probably will not get a lot of use apart from family events on the calendar.
View attachment 112725 View attachment 112726
May make up a couple more 28 litre cubes and put quick disconnect posts on the so I can use the picnic tap on those for drinking straight from the fermenter.
View attachment 112727
Hey WEAL, those barrels look almost exactly (if they didn’t have handles) like the UK pressure barrels/casks that I first got the idea to use plastic cubes as casks from.

What sort of tap do they take in place of that red plug?

These are Italian are the ones you were thinking of the King Keg ones.
The ones I was thinking of are the UK pressure barrels like these http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents...e_Brew_Beer_Barrel_System_5_Gall_40_Pint.html

Or these http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents/en-uk/p700.html

I couldn’t find any when I moved here but found a cube did the job if I sealed the tap with a little lube.

Edit: the barrels I linked have 2” caps but others take these 4” caps http://www.thebrewshop.com/contents/en-uk/p708.html that look similar to your barrels.

Last edited:
I reckon you'd need to be very skillful to cut that relatively small oval hole with an angle grinder.
If I knew a "better" way I'd say. But I think I'd start by trying a hole saw with the smallest tungsten teeth I could find.
Last time I tried that on a stainless drip try, half way through the tungsten tips ripped of.
I laboriously completed with several rats tail/round files.
A die grinder would smooth off quite well but the small stones are not cheap.
The best method deserves some consideration since obviously many here would have a go.
BTW I was also unsure exactly how the in & out fittings were secured.

When I was going to make mine using a stainless steel keg, I made a fly cutter to cut the top out, just a bit of emery cloth to clean it up, neat and tidy and simplest way. Still may do it often go past a scrap metal place on Huntingdale road that often have kegs for $50, some have looked like they have only been used once.;)

Back