DIY Kegmenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the file is not so scribbly.....

Pirate & Dae Tripper, you don't have any issues with the lid sealing? I'm keen to do the same thing as I have a couple of kegs ready and waiting for repurposing but was worried that the lid wouldn't seal correctly as is.

Haha i have no idea how that happened as i only loaded the one file!

Nil issues with the lid sealing

Haha i have no idea how that happened as i only loaded the one file!

Nil issues with the lid sealing

The internet, who the bloody hell knows how this shit works?

Brilliant, thanks. Think I'll go the same way, just need to finish building my mill, finish the portable keg set up, add a third tap to the kegerator, covert the spare keg into a mash tun.......

I did the same as pirateagenda with a 30lt keg. I bought from Tahoos. He said he could get e few through his work but I havnt seen him on here in a while. He was Seddon VIC or somewhere like that. I think I was the only one who bought one.

you want the 64mm OD ferrule (often called 2")

they fit nicely on A type kegs with a shaved silicone seal
(shave off the ridge on one side of the seal)

64mm to 1/2 bsp is a little tricky to find

punkin @ stilldragon have some
he also has a 64mm to a 1" bsp
Beauty mate. Thanks for that. I should be able to use this for a ball valve , turn keg upside down and do the corny mods on top( the bottom of the keg) instant conical fv. Sweet. So over trying to clean the A type kegs I use as fv's. Cheers. Mick.

i have 2 50L kegs i ferment in.

1 is an A type that I cut a hole to fit a corny lid, and drilled 2 holes and added weld less ball lock fittings to. Has a floating fermentasaurus dip tube. total cost was around $50

The other is a D type that I already had a coupling for. You can get ball lock fittings that screw onto the coupling. I shortened the dip tube 20mm to minimise trub pickup. Total cost was about $20 (already had the keg and coupling)

I used the first one mostly because it's heaps easier to clean with the corny lid, and remove the lid for dry hopping. The D type one is strictly for beers with no dry hop as it's a bit of a pain to remove the spear mid ferment.
Hey where did u get the weld less fittings from ? Ive been searching online all day. Cheers. Mick.

Beauty mate. Thanks for that. I should be able to use this for a ball valve , turn keg upside down and do the corny mods on top( the bottom of the keg) instant conical fv. Sweet. So over trying to clean the A type kegs I use as fv's. Cheers. Mick.
With the low angle, I can't see the point in putting a valve on the bottom of a keg, It's not going to work like a conical. I thought of putting a triclamp gate valve and then a sight glass to collect yeast, with the aid of some regular rubber malleting to encourage the yeast down, but the cost/effort type of negates the simplicity of the idea. I'd personally just cut out the keg coupling to fit the corny lid.

With the low angle, I can't see the point in putting a valve on the bottom of a keg, It's not going to work like a conical. I thought of putting a triclamp gate valve and then a sight glass to collect yeast, with the aid of some regular rubber malleting to encourage the yeast down, but the cost/effort type of negates the simplicity of the idea. I'd personally just cut out the keg coupling to fit the corny lid.
Yea i get you. But i was thinking with a 90deg bend at 2.5" plus the valve & fittings it may just be worthy. But after getting on eBay and buying couple bits from China I realised its just too dear for the outcome. So now I'm looking for a conical ss around 50-60 litres. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I'm over fv kegs. Ill just use them for serving. Cheers.

hey guys,

I'm thinking to get me two of those:

5JhaFb8i7-2QBGH_nXdx5P2vNGflSgQUbG_5QiYs5uL4naRNaNMuRZZZz1YR3IMPYKyPasbuRFUGgohMLfxS35XfBKY0ZiHoycum4KsQLpZA29YOLoLsuctbY8iAfN1JhDf7dy-AFMPm_wC050gMFk0X0auVuu2HLgqQWN7wossza5uAPkL62Qx5aS1EMquWGddzKeGxiUBdzo1InaMJo9UQuOESbFB1risWIW8eIjxVNm4FUOdJmDStujWol2oMPKdWvnJOEqWibGMk78lFsTgbIlv9r9-KAdXojLYEABmywX91Arzjp9bRGKCsJBQdNdJZ0bbI31uUfxsCQpU3Hu0EzjP3398hIrmeXf6cEy1f_zLqYV3yllX0SlirMp7IYxJjCxcGh-UOrMdI7Citnh_sQhAj8odxM4OfPgV3_n4NpWDsGp86RqHmMcKnA3VPSFzQUfXNGKACDlCQnK4eFmUNo7Ppukhnuu2k7LRHcpC-InYsPrWpy7DPIXi3DkozVKSBv2OdwG_31O8O949Wq-GotfWy6oin071NwV2lbaNiY9Qv2FtFMVXJtV8HC4FerWtZ1B0leeQ4OBP4yp7rjmDF0GaYsVqPyv8yh6A=w800-h534-no

and fit them with a corny keg lid. Is it possible?

The other option is a $300 kegmeter from mangrove jacks..

Cheers Stefan

I've also been thinking about doing this as well, anyone know how to get a 30L keg on the gold coast?

first, i drilled a lot of small holes around and then I used a jigsaw.

cheers
stefan
Thanks, seems you have a steadier hand with a jigsaw than I do (haven't tried to cut a keg but haven't had great success neatly cutting stainless).

I've previously used a grinder or dremel. Dremel would be the way to with this particular job. Make a template, mark the keg with a shapie, the with the dremel create a light groove on the line, continue to follow that same groove till you've cut right the way through. You will still need to tidy up with a file/grinder, take it slowly and you should be fine.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to put a quick questions out to you guys. We are looking to either make 58Liter Kegmenters or 50L kegmenters. The 58Liter ones are about 40mm higher and the price is only $6 more for the 58L model.

Based on these facts would you guys be more interested in the 58L size or the 50L size?

Some customers seem to be using the Kegmenters for brewing 50L batches so it seems to make sense that if you are going to rack this off into a 50L keg that you have a bit more head space in the fermenter itself.

If you guys were kind enough to vote that would be appreciated and based on the vote we will stock one or the other.

Latest posts

Back