DIY Kegmenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
So I'm exploring the option of making some kegmenters.

I have been doing a few batches in cornies but would really like some extra head space.

I have a plan which involves the following.

30L S-Type Keg - (remove the spear, wont need it)
2" tri clamp to 1/2" BSP adapter (2" tri clamp will attach to S-Type keg I think)
1/2" BSP Tee - screwed on to the tri clamp adapter with one end pointing up and the ther to the side.
1/2" BSP to 1/4" BSP adapter on each opening of the tee
1/4" liquid ball lock post on top opening of the tee with short dip tube
1/4" gas ball lock post on side opening of the tee with short tip tube
silicone dip tube from liquid post to bottom of keg

All up should be about $70-$80 for a 30L kegmenter.

This will allow easy pressurized fermenting, and will be very easy to remove the ball lock assembly for cleaning and filling, just undo the 2" tri clamp. The ball lock assembly could also be easily fitted to a 50L keg if wanting to do a double batch too at some stage.

I wouldn't mind a floating dip tube to aid in reducing sediment making to the serving keg. Would the fermentasaurus floating dip tube ball fit in the opening of a keg?

Any other issues I'm overlooking?

They do make the exact 2" tri fitting to do this, unfortunately all are from the states, advantage being a few of them do come with built in thermowell, one includes a spray fitting that would make cleaning a breeze. Let me know if you want links, note they'll cost more than your quoted $80.

MJ

Yeah I've seen then the commercially available ones. They are more like 150AUD shipped I think.

From what I can tell, you can clamp a 2" tri fitting directly to the outlet of a sankey style keg. Not by design but it apparently works well.

One of these clamped on the keg outlet should make it fairly easy to fit some ball lock posts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-to-2...var=510643879633&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Where do you acquire a 30L with S type connection? Are these like imported Japanese beer type kegs?

upload_2017-12-14_20-14-59.png
Here's mine. Can move the dip tube up and down

From what I can tell, you can clamp a 2" tri fitting directly to the outlet of a sankey style keg. Not by design but it apparently works well.
you want the 64mm OD ferrule (often called 2")

they fit nicely on A type kegs with a shaved silicone seal
(shave off the ridge on one side of the seal)

64mm to 1/2 bsp is a little tricky to find

punkin @ stilldragon have some
he also has a 64mm to a 1" bsp

Where do you acquire a 30L with S type connection? Are these like imported Japanese beer type kegs?

There is a guy on gumtree in Perth with a few pallets of them. They where used to import some sort of European beer I think.

i have 2 50L kegs i ferment in.

1 is an A type that I cut a hole to fit a corny lid, and drilled 2 holes and added weld less ball lock fittings to. Has a floating fermentasaurus dip tube. total cost was around $50

The other is a D type that I already had a coupling for. You can get ball lock fittings that screw onto the coupling. I shortened the dip tube 20mm to minimise trub pickup. Total cost was about $20 (already had the keg and coupling)

I used the first one mostly because it's heaps easier to clean with the corny lid, and remove the lid for dry hopping. The D type one is strictly for beers with no dry hop as it's a bit of a pain to remove the spear mid ferment.

yeah, i'd be keen to see as well. How did you cut the lid?

2017-12-22 17.17.42.jpg

There ya go. Made a plywood template to get the perfect size and shape for the hole then once the lid locked onto it, cut the hole with an angle grinder then used a worn grinding disc that was the perfect size to tidy up the hole.

Attachments

• 20171222_171208.jpg
    20171222_171208.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 428
Beauty mate. I'll get to it soon. I've got a mate with a plasma cutter that said he'd do it for a few beers.

There ya go. Made a plywood template to get the perfect size and shape for the hole then once the lid locked onto it, cut the hole with an angle grinder then used a worn grinding disc that was the perfect size to tidy up the hole.
Some mighty fine scribble there pirate. You worried about Customer United Brands busting in your door?

Here is mine.
I ended up putting large stainless washers around the o rings to stop them poping out under any more than hand torque.

Made it with an angle grinder (cut and flap disc), die grinder but mainly rats tail file, because the die grinder bit was stuffed.

2017-12-23 07.18.32.jpg

Some mighty fine scribble there pirate. You worried about Customer United Brands busting in your door?

Unfortunately the file is not so scribbly.....

Pirate & Dae Tripper, you don't have any issues with the lid sealing? I'm keen to do the same thing as I have a couple of kegs ready and waiting for repurposing but was worried that the lid wouldn't seal correctly as is.

Unfortunately the file is not so scribbly.....

Pirate & Dae Tripper, you don't have any issues with the lid sealing? I'm keen to do the same thing as I have a couple of kegs ready and waiting for repurposing but was worried that the lid wouldn't seal correctly as is.

Seals rather well, the feet put a bit of extra pressure that helps it conform.

Back