Diving into all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
This weekend I will be taking my first glorious step into all grain brewing. Got my ingredients yesterday for a delicious Chocolate Oatmeal Porter. I'll be doing a BIAB job as I haven't got a mash tun yet. Any last minute pointers for me? I'll post the recipe later so let me know what you think.

Cheers
Mick

Pointers: relax and have fun. Plan each step well so you know what you need to do, and when - that way you can avoid panicking when you realise you forgot to put in the yeast nutrient etc.

I found anything that could be done the day before was a plus at first, then I could think about it that night an discover what I'd forgotten - filling the water tanks, weighing hops and grain etc. Also, if you screw up at some point don't panic, it will turn out decent enough.

It might help to write out the process for your first time. That way you can just follow the steps.
Use a timer/alarm to remind you to do your next step of the process.

Have fun, plan well take notes don't drink too much. Relax it'll turn out surprisingly well.

Thanks for the positive advice guys, should be a good brew day. I've been excited about this one for a while. I'll post the recipe this arv.

Thanks for the positive advice guys, should be a good brew day. I've been excited about this one for a while. I'll post the recipe this arv.

And as far as the no drinking advice goes, isn't it sacrilegious not to have a few home brews whilst home brewing?

Nope. I'm of the view that if you want the next brew to be as good as the one you're drinking, then wait to drink. If you can wait 2-6 weeks to drink a beer you've made, you can wait 5 hours to finish off brewing it before cracking one open.

I don't like wort burns, forgetting hop additions, falling in the kitchen, spillages and the like. YMMV.

You make a fair point, but being that it will be a Sunday afternoon brew day I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to have at least one schooner. I don't want to stuff my first all grain so I won't be having too many.

You make a fair point, but being that it will be a Sunday afternoon brew day I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to have at least one schooner. I don't want to stuff my first all grain so I won't be having too many.

I have one once I reach mid-boil and another 1 or 2 once it's cooling. But that's it. Drunken brew days can be a disaster.

But on my first all-grain? Nothing. I just followed the very-detailed list on which I forgot to include "Drink a beer".

My general rule is no beers before the first hop addition, it's pretty hard to get drunk enough to make a serious error in 60/90 minutes.

Notes notes notes... and dont stress about slight mash temp variations at this stage. I think my first biab dropped 4 degrees and i was freaking out. Still turned out as my best brew to that point!

I dont pour a beer until i finish sparging... 98.C water on bare arms not so much fun

Yeah maintaining mash temp is my biggest concern, I'll be keeping it on the burner just in case it drops a bit.

RelaxedBrewer said:
It might help to write out the process for your first time. That way you can just follow the steps.
Use a timer/alarm to remind you to do your next step of the process.
Great advice. I've done at least 10 or so AG brews now and still write up a check list for brew day because on the few occasions I didn't, I forgot stuff. Nothing major, and the beers were still great, but things like forgetting to measure the SG or missing a hop addition.

Geez, I feel like a prude now :p . I only crack a beer after I pitch. I have to be strict on myself since the time a couple of mates came over to help and we drank more than we brewed and missed timings and all sorts of things.

Latest posts

Back