Diving into all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember, if you BIAB'ing, anytime you add heat, stir the grain...

When i used to mash out, Id raise the bag slightly (i used big metal clips to clip on the side of my keggle) and stir until it came upto temp...

You dont want to melt a hole in your bag or your going to have a nightmare getting your wort out at the end of it all ;)

+1 for a beer after first hop addition. Once you get that far you are home free!

Once only have I been so tarded I woke up and wondered if I'd actually finished brewing.

Myself and another brewer shared the beers we were given for running a grain bulk buy - there were a lot of them. Brew was cubed, gas and electricity off.

Being pissed while stirring mash with an electric element and standing on a milk crate is a skill and all skills require practice.
If I followed such strict rules on sacrificing to the beer gods I would not have been able to catch 80L of falling mash and tun when a table collapsed (not my table) nor deal with eleven stuck sparges while brewing quadruple batches at case swaps. Brew pissed enough times you realise no problem is insurmountable, there's always a workaround and at the end of the day - it's just fuckin' beer mate. Sometimes it even makes itself.

Of course wearing a fluoro vest will prevent you getting electrocuted or otherwise injured. Your safety is important!

What ben said. I have melted a hole in my bag before and its not easy from there. I sorted it by draining the mash kettle through what was left of my bag but added another layer of stress that I didn't need.

I've got a stainless colander cut down to put on the bottom of the Kettle, hopefully that will avoid melting the bag...

I find the checklist in BIABacus or Brewsmith (iPad) useful.

Making an accurate guess at what your water strike temp needs to be for your setup is also a key point and having some hot and cold water available to adjust it if required.

Have a great day anyway. If is goes tits up you'll still have learned something.

My way around not drinking, at least untill flame out is to start brewing first thing in the morning, that way its only 12oclock when finished the boil and plenty of time to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Diggs said:
That's a yellow card at least Sir??!?!
Not drinking until the first hop addition is a yellow.

Waiting till cube time is a professional foul and an instant red.
Waiting till pitching is worse than a Zidane.

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. Let me know what you think.

Maris Otter 67.6%
Flaked oats 11.3%
Medium crystal 5.6%
Choc malt 5.2%
Pale choc malt 3.8%
Black malt 2.8%

21g Norther brewer @60min
28g Willamette @20min

56g Dutch cocoa @10min
2 vanilla beans into secondary.

Wyeast 1968 Londen ESB

Target OG 1.061

manticle said:

Ha

manticle said:
Hahaha

I usually have a beer after I dough in the mash, and then another one or two after mashout while the wort is coming to the boil/boiling. They are pretty spaced out so I don't really feel any effects from them and brew days always run smoothly. :D

Recipe look good although I would drop the vanilla and cocoa and just stick with the malt bill. There is a lot going on in your recipe without muddying it with cocoa and vanilla. You could try the beer without those 2 ingredients and then add them later as well.

Gav80 said:
Recipe look good although I would drop the vanilla and cocoa and just stick with the malt bill. There is a lot going on in your recipe without muddying it with cocoa and vanilla. You could try the beer without those 2 ingredients and then add them later as well.
I have actually been thinking of dropping the cocoa and vanilla, I'm sure ill get a little chocolate flavour come through from tha dark malts anyway. I think I will do just that and if I feel it needs those flavours it will give me the perfect excuse to brew it again. Thanks for the advice.

manticle said:
Nah, it's my wife who's French.

Call me Gianfranco Zola. He he.

manticle said:
Once only have I been so tarded I woke up and wondered if I'd actually finished brewing.
I done this once too mate, had a 7%IPA on the keg while I was doing a batch............anyway I woke up the next day and really couldnt remember if I had even brewed or if it was just a dream. Went to the shed, everything was clean and there was a full cube with a recipe on it. Yeh. :blink:

Latest posts

Back