Ditch my fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just replaced an old one with this,made of Polypropylene it has smooth surfaces and is easy to clean.
This is its first encounter with my pal alcohol.

image.jpg

I have 9 fermenters and cycle through them. I put a new tap in each time( I know, blows my environmental position, but I'm pretty good otherwise) they are $1.98 at bunnings. I tried all sorts of ways, some very inventive, involving screw clamps and hose fittings, of cleaning them but in the end I figure that it's worth it to ditch them.

Isn't it better to siphon the brew rather than suck all the yeast out through a tap near the bottom?

Well, just finished a beer with my new fermenter, and it tastes shit again. A real pain and i am thinking of giving up. Maybe a slightly grassy flavour, and the head aint lacey, more fizzy and feels a bit harsh on the stomach. Bottles been in for 10 days. God knows what the issue is. I do a small hop boil, and then throw in dry hops in after 4 days. Have temp control at 20 degrees, use saf 05. Was very careful clean new fermenter and bottles and hop strainer.va real pisset. Think i might try one basic kit without any additions to eliminate the pissible causes. Could it be the pot i boil the hops in? But the boil and hops are pretty safe regardleas i thought?

Very early, two weeks you say? Give it some more time.

Put a simple kit batch down while you wait.

Only 10 days. I know, i should give it time, but its similar to previous debacles ... And my good brews never tasted crap at thr start.

How'd you get it to ferment and in the bottles so quickly? Most stuff I'm reading on the forum suggests 3 weeks in fermenter (s) primary and/or secondary prior to bottling?

For a standard gravity brew there should be no need to leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks. 4 days could be too early to dry hop, did you check SG first?

Is your water good? You are not using a garden hose, are you? If your water has chlorine, you need to remove it somehow, because if you don't you will produce shit beer no matter what you do.

It could be an airborne infection too. Is your fermentation chamber free of contamination? Does your wort end up being exposed to anything. Could be as simple as doing a task, such as aerating or pitching yeast under a tree.

It may help a lot if you can get the fault identified. That way you know which areas to look at in more detail. If you don't know what the off flavour is, try to find someone who can help. A homebrew club, homebrew shop or even a beer enthusiast staff member in a good bottle shop might be willing to taste your brew and give opinion.

hopnotic said:
Isn't it better to siphon the brew rather than suck all the yeast out through a tap near the bottom?
I'd personally like to see some experienced brewers comment on this too. I've been using the base tap to move the brew to the secondary vessel - mainly because I've already got so many brewing toys I didn't think I 'needed' another. Happy to buy it if the flavour results say it's a good thing!

Sg was 1008 over 3 days. Im using the same water i have always used. I use the normal coopers fv but without the collar so it fits in the fridge.

A bit of plastic hose from Bunnings is very cheap as a make shift siphon. It's okay to use the tap though if the inlet is above the dead yeast and not drawing off sediment.

If you're going to siphon, make sure you buy food grade plastic tubing. Hb shop is my best bet.

Bunnings sell food grade PVC hose, but it's only good to 60C.

If you want a hose that could also be used for hot wort, don't bother looking in Bunnings.

I bought an autosiphon thing from lhbs without realising it set me back a good $25. Mentally kicked myself for a while but sure beats leaking taps on those shitty plastic fermenters where thread gives and you end up with an endlessly spinning tap trying to tighten it.

I'm happy with the siphon now and use it with every brew, however I wish it came with a stopper like my old one did.

squirrell said:
Well, just finished a beer with my new fermenter, and it tastes shit again. A real pain and i am thinking of giving up. Maybe a slightly grassy flavour, and the head aint lacey, more fizzy and feels a bit harsh on the stomach. Bottles been in for 10 days. God knows what the issue is. I do a small hop boil, and then throw in dry hops in after 4 days. Have temp control at 20 degrees, use saf 05. Was very careful clean new fermenter and bottles and hop strainer.va real pisset. Think i might try one basic kit without any additions to eliminate the pissible causes. Could it be the pot i boil the hops in? But the boil and hops are pretty safe regardleas i thought?
Step up to all grain. You won't look back its not that hard. And not that expensive if you go biab

Brewnicorn said:
I'd personally like to see some experienced brewers comment on this too. I've been using the base tap to move the brew to the secondary vessel - mainly because I've already got so many brewing toys I didn't think I 'needed' another. Happy to buy it if the flavour results say it's a good thing!
No need to move to "secondary". Sure move to one if your bulk priming and bottle straight from there. If your worried about clarity cold crash and use some gelatin. If gluten free is your go use polyclar

squirrell said:
Sg was 1008 over 3 days. Im using the same water i have always used. I use the normal coopers fv but without the collar so it fits in the fridge.
What do you mean by 'without the collar'?

Krausen collar, a la the new style fermenters. The biggest consequence from not doing this is risking a mess with a big krausen.

My 3 fermenters are over 10yrs old. For the first year trying on and off with the older style coopers fermenter I never had a good beer.
Got a new coopers fermenter a year or two later, still bad beer. Bought a 25L pail for a third fermenter a year after that, still bad beer. Half my brews were infected and foul so I gave up on brewing.

This year I started brewing again and the first few were also not very good brews on all three fermenters that are now 10+ yrs old. I bought new taps, grommets and lid O rings.
Still had a 50% chance of a bad brew.
Then using the same fermenters, beers started to become better, but I stopped brewing again due to high temps. While waiting for cooler temps one even got that pink mould on it. But that one and the two other 10+ year fermenters that have made some very bad and infected beer are now making good beer.
Change taps, o rings, grommets, air locks and sanatize well is all I needed to do. Scratches and stains haven't had any effect.

More chance of a beer going bad due to the bottles/bottling IMHO. The bad beers I made early this year were all in equally old plastic bottles. Once I switched back to glass bottles, most of my problems have gone away. In fact 10 years ago, most of my bad beers were in those PET bottles that gave me trouble this year. Those things are almost impossible to clean.
E: I have a habit of saving the trub for yeast, and even in the brews that ended up bad the sample saved for yeast was still good, so it didn't go bad for me in the fermenter most of the time, but rather the bottles/bottling. That is, these days that is the case. Back in the old dark days, things went bad in the fermenters, but the point is I'm still using those old fermenters now just fine and getting decent beer out of them.

Latest posts

Back