Direct Firing A 44 Gallon Drum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
Hello brewers,

I'm currently looking at getting a stainless steel 44 gallon drum for my kettle. I use a 32 jet mongolian burner currently which i assume will be plenty of heat to power the thing.

Can anyone think of any reason why direct firing a 44 gallon drum will be a bad idea? Apparently its 3+mm stainless.

I've been waiting for a 140L aluminium pot to become available but this has just popped up for the same price. I figure its better because it means i can do 100L batches very easily without fear of boilovers. It also means i can do even bigger batches if i want, which i do. I'm think the first bag goes in tied up and sits at the bottom, and the second and third bag go in at the top like in this thread. Imagine doing 150L batches, terrible if it goes wrong, but awesome if you only have to brew every couple of months. If i could find a big enough fridge i could ferment in a plastic 44 gallon drum and Use my 23L drum to culture the starter. :)

You might want to confirm the heating power of that burner - it will take a fair whack of energy to heat and boil over 100L.

My kettle gets 100L to the boil with 2 x 2400W elements, but it takes a while to get it to the boil.

Cant comment on the power of the gas burner though.

32 jet mogno will be fine. a 10 jet boils 100L without breaking a sweat.

I think dropping the 3rd bag in the bottom would kill your efficiency. I would build a simple tri-hanger using basic rod and then clip the bags like we did for the double. I don't think the rod would cost that much and it would be a 2 second cut and weld job.

triBIAB.GIF

As far as the burner goes, it will do it. My 20 jet Mongolian did the 100L brew. You have 50% more liquid, and just over 50% more jets. Same as our brew day; you just won't set any records on your heating times. Since you've got a Nasa you could always try and run both under it.

Don't forget you could always cut the 44 drum down in height a bit; to get a 140/150L s/s pot.

edit: You will not have any issues with direct firing the 44 gallon drum if it is 3+mm

QldKev

Thats a cracker of an idea, even for he 140L pot. My burner will have no dramas at all getting it to the boil, there's a fair bit of heat generated.

I think dropping the 3rd bag in the bottom would kill your efficiency. I would build a simple tri-hanger using basic rod and then clip the bags like we did for the double. I don't think the rod would cost that much and it would be a 2 second cut and weld job.

View attachment 44360

As far as the burner goes, it will do it. My 20 jet Mongolian did the 100L brew. You have 50% more liquid, and just over 50% more jets. Same as our brew day; you just won't set any records on your heating times. Since you've got a Nasa you could always try and run both under it.

Don't forget you could always cut the 44 drum down in height a bit; to get a 140/150L s/s pot.

edit: You will not have any issues with direct firing the 44 gallon drum if it is 3+mm

QldKev

Thats a cracker of an idea, even for he 140L pot. My burner will have no dramas at all getting it to the boil, there's a fair bit of heat generated.

Thinking about it a bit more I would keep the design the same, but use flat bar vertically as it will be easier to clip to.

QldKev

I've been waiting for a 140L aluminium pot to become available but this has just popped up for the same price.

Where did you come across the drum? I'd love to get my hands on something like that.

Benniee

I have an open-topped stainless 44 which I bought cheap to use as a smoker, but I am being tempted to use it as a mammoth kettle, and use my 100L Al stockpot as a MLT. Aaaargh! Damn you Ekul.

Latest posts

Back