Upgrading BIAB setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirateagenda

Reaction score
I currently have a 60L pot and NASA burner setup for BIAB brews. I can manage double batches but have to sparge and add a lot of extra water throughout the boil to manage boil overs, which means constantly boiling a kettle and filling jugs for half the mash and boil time. Would much rather a larger pot to simplify brewday so I am going to upgrade to a 100L pot.
Have a few qusetions:

1. Most likely set on robinox around 100L aluminium pot for around the $200 mark, any recommended suppliers for similar quality products for a better price?
2. is it worth turning my old pot, or getting a smaller one, into a malt pipe, or just stick to the bag?
3. Is it worth setting up a recirculating system? I've noticed a bit of an efficiency drop when doing double batches, and higher OG batches, would a recirc system help with this?
4. Weldless ball valve/tap v syphon - tap easier, syphon cheaper and less places for bacteria to grow

Cheers

1. Sounds like a good price to me for 100lt.
2. It would depend on the base of the pot. Alot of people use the cheap ebay pots because they have a crappy thin base on them so they are easy to turn into a malt pipe. If your old pot is reasonable quality then maybe you could use it for 3v in the future. Or sell it for upgrade costs.
3. If you upgrade to a 100lt pot then maybe that would improve your efficiency. If you are going down the malt pipe road then maybe look at a recirc pump. Thats what im doing asap.
4. A 3 peice ball valve would be the first upgrade you should get imho. Theres another thread on here asking that question. I havnt read it much though.

pirateagenda said:
I currently have a 60L pot and NASA burner setup for BIAB brews. I can manage double batches but have to sparge and add a lot of extra water throughout the boil to manage boil overs, which means constantly boiling a kettle and filling jugs for half the mash and boil time. Would much rather a larger pot to simplify brewday so I am going to upgrade to a 100L pot.
Have a few qusetions:

1. Most likely set on robinox around 100L aluminium pot for around the $200 mark, any recommended suppliers for similar quality products for a better price?
2. is it worth turning my old pot, or getting a smaller one, into a malt pipe, or just stick to the bag?
3. Is it worth setting up a recirculating system? I've noticed a bit of an efficiency drop when doing double batches, and higher OG batches, would a recirc system help with this?
4. Weldless ball valve/tap v syphon - tap easier, syphon cheaper and less places for bacteria to grow

Cheers
That's a reasonable price.

I have had two Robinox 100L Ally pots and very happy with them. Can easily knock out triple batches.

Use the old pot for a HLT.

Ball valve is what I use with a SS pickup tube.

thanks guys, ball valve it is!

will hold off on recirc gear and see if my efficiency improves in the bigger pot first.

Back