Different wort aeration kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great idea!! I put a few very light marks on my chronical from even the slightest brush with the stone. So a "me proof" method such as this is awesome. Thanks. Where are your said silicone seals from? Similar to Grolsch lid seals or something else?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
That's a great idea!! I put a few very light marks on my chronical from even the slightest brush with the stone. So a "me proof" method such as this is awesome. Thanks. Where are your said silicone seals from? Similar to Grolsch lid seals or something else?
Pop top bottle seals are the ones (like the Grolsch). Should be plenty at the local brew shop.

I have a few if you get stuck.

For anyone who wants to buy the O2 locally to match the Brewman setup....

I did in fact get the exact right cylinder from Reece in for $57.86 in Lewisham, Sydney

Anyone using a disposable bottle with a gas flow meter? I have a trade flame bottle with gauge reg but apparently gas flow meters are easier to control and measure the output.
I wondering if you can use a reg with a flow meter attached or can you just incorporate a seperate flow meter in the line out.

nosco said:
Anyone using a disposable bottle with a gas flow meter? I have a trade flame bottle with gauge reg but apparently gas flow meters are easier to control and measure the output.
I wondering if you can use a reg with a flow meter attached or can you just incorporate a seperate flow meter in the line out.
Flow meter hooked up to the regulator here. Rubber bung keeps the bugs out when not in use.

O2 Setup.JPG

TidalPete said:
Flow meter hooked up to the regulator here. Rubber bung keeps the bugs out when not in use.
That's awesome Pete, does the flow meter replace/incorporate the regulator? Looks like it on your rig?

Mikeyr said:
Yep saw those, was wondering if they take the pressure direct from the tank or if you need to reduce first with a valve and it's on the low side. Doesn't look like it on Petes but he says "hooked up to regulator"??
That's what I was wondering as well. I don't imagine that chinsy flow meter would handle the pressure of the tank directly...

TidalPete said:
Any chance of getting a part list for this? Interested in the connection to the bottle and reg/flow meter in use!

Here's my TidalPete inspired setup. I already had the reg (ebay) before i got the flow meter (ebay) so i dont know if its necessary but is does make for a really really accurate setup (after a quick test). I haven't used it with the air stone on a stick and the flow meter setup so i havnt had a chance to try different time V flow options. Ill probably just stick with what is recommended in the Yeast Book (cant remeber). The $2.50 fire extinguisher holder was pretty useless but did make for a quick 5 min build. I need a better holder for my stone tube. Its what i had on hand.

Is it really necessary to disconnect the gas hose while not in use? Im not one that would know.

1487139171957.jpg

Mikeyr said:
Yep saw those, was wondering if they take the pressure direct from the tank or if you need to reduce first with a valve and it's on the low side. Doesn't look like it on Petes but he says "hooked up to regulator"??
No chance of the flow meter taking bottle pressure (nor the lines from the bottle to the flow meter either for that matter) the one in the link is rated to 0.1mPa (100kPa) or 1 bar, I have a hunch the bottle pressure will be just a bit more than that (actually just looked it's 1,100kPa).

Be safe first OK.
Mark

Hey guys - bit of a small update on the Bossweld reg for disposable bottles. Just bought mine after considering the 'risks' associated with non-adherence to known standards (and lack of standards in Australia for disposable bottle regs).

Seems the 'no oil' symbol has been put onto the face of the regulator. I wonder if they've had a enough calls through from anxious home brewers to warrant printing it just for us.

Edit: Also the reg says max 130Bar - the tradeflame bottle says PH - filling pressure 110 bar

IMAG17821.jpg

Just out of interest, Gaijin, where did you buy that Bossweld reg, and what was its "official" name/reference?

Just curious if you got it from the big green shed, if I choose to go down this path later.

Mikeyr said:
i got the O2 kit from Brewman & wasn't too happy with the beer line supplied as it was too stiff & unwieldy for my liking. I replaced the beer line with the same internal diameter silicon tubing from here --- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silicone-Tubing-Silicon-Vacuum-Hose-Air-Coolent-Water-Tube-Hose-Black-Red-Blue-/152148391255?var=&hash=item236cc03557:m:mG3TNptKyydMDmdG8gsuZjQ which fits nicely over the supplied hose barb that comes with the Brewman kit.
I got the stepless clamps for the silicon hose from one of the forum sponsors.

Got the flow meter from here -- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/0-1-5LPM-1-5L-Flow-Meter-Flowmeter-Control-Valve-for-Oxygen-Air-Gas-Conectrator-/361865244213?hash=item5440d96e35:g:uQkAAOSwImRYaygJ & whilst not really necessary, makes for a more accurate dispersal of the O2 as nosco remarks (good work on your setup nosco! :) )..

Control knob on the flow meter is left wide open & the regulator control cracked just enough for the lead shot in the flow meter to rise to the 1.0 litre/min mark where it stays for the 1.0 min & 20 secs it takes me to aerate 23.0 litres of wort (stop watch of course. :D )

Alcoadam in Post 440 showed us how to avoid scratches to the fermenter by using a silicon pop-top bottle seal over the airstone which is a great idea.
Didn't have one handy but a regular O-ring works just fine.

I got it from Trade Tools. Product number 600044 - you can look it up on their website. SEQ stores just got new stock in today according to the helpful bloke at the Slacks Creek store. Seems they were out in most stores across Brissy up til now.

The only reg the BGS stocks which fits the 10mm thread of disposable bottles is the Tradeflame one and it doesn't have a flowgauge (as far as I know). Also, they only stock it in some stores, so you may have to phone around.

Here is a little extra information to help anyone target a certain oxygen content (ppm) in their wort. The charts are photographed from the book Yeast (Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff). Worth a read for gems like this.

I'll be targeting about 10ppm for my 3-7% alcohol beers.

IMAG1784.jpg

IMAG1785.jpg

Why not 14ppm graph looks good at that level ?

Also fermented at 24 c thats high or did it go down to 18 c ?

Because I'm cheap and will give Bunnings only as much of my dosh as I absolutely need to. the 9 ppm and 14 ppm lines converge at the same point.

What the chart doesn't show is the terminal gravity of the beers. The text above the chart states that "The 3 and 5 ppm beers did not attenuate as fully as the other samples, which attenuated a full degree Plato over the shaken sample". My guess is that the temperature has less of an impact (if any) on the terminal gravity - an 18C ferment would just shift the chart out maybe another 12 hours to where each sample would hit the same terminal gravity as if brewed at 24C. They would just have more esters. The experiment was done with WLP001 which is recommended 20C to 23C.

Latest posts

Back