Difference Between A Draught And Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Is a draught a bitter or lager thats just on tap? Or is it its own style?

Despite the bizzare misnomers our marketing gods would give to the beers on sale in Australia and the USA.

In a couple of lines:
Draught.. means, drawn, from a tap.
Lager.. is derived from the German word lager (larder) to store, but more specifically, now, it refers to beer made with the bottom fermenting strains of yeast. Ale = top fermenting. Lager = bottom fermenting.
(There is more to it than that, so, if you want the specifics, read the articles, above)

So, if your beer is coming from a tap, its draught, even if its lager.
And if your beer has been fermented with a lager yeast, its lager even if it comes from a tap which makes it draft lager.
:D

Except for the late lamented XXXX Draught that was only available in Bottles :unsure: I do miss it, twas one of the few drinkable Lion Nathan brews and only available in QLD, a darker less carbonated smooooooth beer that was great in the winter.

xxxx_draught.jpg

I see that XXXX heavy has changed its label to a red / maroon which is almost identical in colour to the old draught label. Please don't tell me they ditched a good old brew so they could indulge in some Bronco related w&nk.

Technically draught refers to a serving method, and lager refers to yeast selection and fermentation method. When it comes to homebrew concentrates lager typically means pale and lightly hopped with no reference to yeast or fermentation, whereas draught means amber and moderately hopped.

PatAbsolute Homebrew

Just reserecting this one out of interest and due to this ad. Is it false advertising? Would I be expecting a draught style beer from the naming on the tin or a "full-flavoured and refreshing lager....". as per description in the ad?
Cheersimage.jpgimage.jpgIf you can enlarge words under "FOR 30 CANS" it states the lager quote .

Just reserecting this one out of interest and due to this ad. Is it false advertising? Would I be expecting a draught style beer from the naming on the tin or a "full-flavoured and refreshing lager....". as per description in the ad?
Cheers
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
More likely expect it to be crap beer.

Spammer n Thongs was originally brewed by Lion at Boags along with the other Liquorland contract for Tasman Bitter.

A couple of years ago the gig went to a brewery in Vietnam.

Now I see it's back to an Australian brewery. Even the Boags version was pretty dismal. Even for a dollar a can. It used to be 4% abv, I wonder if they've turned it into a mid like so many Lion brands.

edit: it was in a green can, I wonder what the significance of the red is.

I used to get the hammer & tongs draught in green bottles at Liquorland in BNE (rarely - I live close enough to 3 dan's, it was only ever an emergency buy).

It turned out to be a quite palatable brew with a little diacetyl on the tongue and a fair carbonic bite, but some underlying flavour there too. And something resembling an adequate body (but only resembling).

It was brewed in Viet Nam.

It was about the same time the Brisbane Bitter was briefly resurrected by their megalith overlord Carlton. That was another tolerable beer.

Swinging Beef said:
Lager.. is derived from the German word lager (larder) to store
Semantics, but the German word is lagern, which means to store.
"Wir lagern das Bier im Keller." Literally means "we store the beer in the cellar".

As someone who spent more years than he cares to remember living in England I feel fully qualified to answer this one.
Draught - served from the barrel or keg as opposed to a bottle.
Lager - flavorless continental maidens water that some Frenchman farted into.

i-a-n said:
Lager - flavorless continental maidens water that some Frenchman farted into.

A lot yes but, Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Far Kin Lager. Just to name a few nice ones.

Batz

Ok, I concede there's some decent lagers, a rare thing in UK pubs. I liked the old Wychwood brewery Hobgoblin ad...... What's the matter lager boy? Afraid you'll taste something?

They still think Foster's is exotic in England.

i-a-n said:
Ok, I concede there's some decent lagers, a rare thing in UK pubs. I liked the old Wychwood brewery Hobgoblin ad...... What's the matter lager boy? Afraid you'll taste something?

They still think Foster's is exotic in England.
Fosters is sort of exotic to Australia as I don't think it was as popular here as overseas.

Ducatiboy stu said:
It has never been popular here.
I often wonder how much Barry Humphries got payed back in the 70s for Bazza scoffing and chundering it everywhere he went.

Latest posts

Back