Difference Between A Draught And Lager?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fosters is sort of exotic to Australia as I don't think it was as popular here as overseas.
It is here as well, sold as Crown Lager in fancy bottle, and plenty of numb nuts believe it's special.

Batz

Batz said:
It is here as well, sold as Crown Lager in fancy bottle, and plenty of numb nuts believe it's special.

Batz
Do a side by side tasting Batz. It isn't. It's different.

Urban legend has it that when Crown Lager first appeared on the market it was just a re-badged version of Abbots Lager aimed at the yuppie market segment. Abbots was the same beer but cheaper. When sales of Crown took off, CUB had to recast Abbots as a mid-strength beer with the original production going to bolster Crown.

Must be true - I heard it in a pub.

NO...You guys have it all wrong. Crown Lager was taken from the top of the fermenter ( The Crown ) and Fosters was taken from the bottom.

I also heard that in a pub... :)

Feldon said:
Urban legend has it that when Crown Lager first appeared on the market it was just a re-badged version of Abbots Lager aimed at the yuppie market segment. Abbots was the same beer but cheaper. When sales of Crown took off, CUB had to recast Abbots as a mid-strength beer with the original production going to bolster Crown.

Must be true - I heard it in a pub.
I've seen the Mythbusters episode on this, and they came back with a PLAUSIBLE conclusion.

Plausible Lager - good brand name for a craft beer.

Want a beer? No? Not convinced? Plausible Lager is believable. Let yourself be persuaded.

Walked into a pub in Kirkenes northern Norway 14 years ago with my older brother,who is about as diplomatic as a storm trooper ,and the bar was festooned with Fosters bunting etc the barman said Ah Australians do you want Fosters?,well my brother replied **** off mate that shit is canned camels piss no ******* in OZ drinks the shit that's why it's over here.
Christ I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me but the look on the barmans face was priceless I had to do some quick talking to smooth things over and a good time was had.
Got a huge grin on my face now remembering the incident.

Vikings! They're probably in their longboats right now, heading your way to burn your crops and steal your cattle.

Being 1/2 Norwegien myself I will tell em to **** off,ha can you imagine the navy shitting its self when the dodgy Oz bound boat on their radar is full of long haired, bearded,nutcases.....from a different country.

Could be anything.
Draught refers to beer sold as Draught, that is out of the taps in your pub/club. Nothing to do with lager/ale/whatever.
Draught Ale is sold off the tap. If it's bottled or canned, it's not Draught, just Ale
Draught Lager is sold off the tap. If it's bottled or canned, it's not Draught, just Lager.
My guess is the can labeled as Draught by Coopers will be an Ale.

With the kit will depend on your yeast used, temp fermented at and if you lager it after fermentation. That is, use a lager yeast, lager fermentation (start at 10C, diacetyl rest, then cold crash and lager). Or ale yeast at 18-20C and normal fermentation. This will make it an ale or lager.

Most kits beers use an ale yeast and are fermented at 18oC plus. Some of Coopers premium line do use a lager yeast and the directions are for a lower temp fermentation. I brewed the Draught in the 1980’s and 1990’s at ale temps. Will get better results if fermented at 18oC for the first days at least. Also there are many good dry yeasts which will give better results than the generic kit yeast. Hope this helps.

At least one of the now gone brands sold a Bitter (Ale) and a Lager that were the same, one had an Ale yeast the other a Lager, different labels naturally, but the kits were the same.
Draught is a serving method, as above, not a style.
With Ale and Lager its the type of yeast and to some extent the method used to brew it. As Barry says better yeast and temperature control will make for better beer.
Mark

Back