Did Santa come early?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was fortunate enough to pick up a whole swag of brewing gear from a deceased estate. Amongst the collection was the lab like piece (see photo) but there are no instructions and I have no idea what it is. I have figured out that it is a vacuum filter system of some sort but what it is used for is beyond me. Any ideas…
Filter.jpg

A 5 gallon glass carboy, 5 gallon plastic fermenter, KegKing 6kg Co2 gas cylinder (full) plus new regulator and hose connection. A couple of Erlenmeyer Flasks also new. Also well over 100 longneck and NSW stubbies (used unfortunately). All for $130.00 - Santa did come early. Just puzzled by the filter thingy?

I kinda answered my own question, at least in part. I now know what the Gizmo is a (250ml Buchner Funnel Apparatus Filtration Kit with Vacuum Suction). What on earth you filter with it is hard to guess, it seems very small to use as a final filter of your brew - could it be used to somehow filter yeast starters?????

At least I know what to do with the other stuff.

but what it is used for is beyond me. Any ideas…

I would hazard a guess that the previous owner used it for filtering yeast starters.

So would make a starter then when it is in full swing filter and pitch the yeast rather than wait for it to settle out or pitch the whole starter.

Buchner flasks are used commonly in wine analysis. There's a chance the deceased dabbled in homemade wine when not kegging beers

Buchner flasks are used commonly in wine analysis. There's a chance the deceased dabbled in homemade wine when not kegging beers

Bit of a long shot Garf. What do you suppose he/she would be trying to analysis in the homemade wine.

I would hazard a guess that the previous owner used it for filtering yeast starters.

So would make a starter then when it is in full swing filter and pitch the yeast rather than wait for it to settle out or pitch the whole starter.
I think that is it or he was an industrial chemist / chemistry researcher who just wanted one for home.
We used it to filter out crystals from solution in chem practicals.

Bit of a long shot Garf. What do you suppose he/she would be trying to analysis in the homemade wine.
Yes, a massive long shot. A super OCD home wine maker may be testing for protein stability or tartaric acid crystals or something.

I believe some distillers use these too but I can't recall what for

Latest posts

Back