Did I Make A Mistake?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to wonder at what point the OPs eyes glazed over
Anyway its an interesting enough subject, and there is lots of room for discussion and opinion so I might as well stick my 2 cents worth in.
Lots of very good beer gets made by just pitching the yeast, letting it work until its done the job then packaging the beer.
All things being equal, given a reasonable pitch rate, sensible brewing temperatures and that you dont wait until the yeast starts to break down mission accomplished, you made beer.
There is no need to rack beer but there are circumstances where I certainly would: -
If I wanted to crop the yeast cake and keep it for reuse. In this case I would rack early say 24-36 hours in, the intention being to leave any trub (residual hot and cold break, hop fragments and dead yeast) in the first fermenter and to transfer as much healthy working yeast to the second fermenter as possible. When the beer is Cask Clear (when I can see my finger print right through a demijohn) you would still have around 10,000 cells/mL (more than enough for conditioning), package the beer and process the yeast cake for reuse.
Were I brewing a very high gravity beer I would be looking for a lot longer yeast contact time, so rack when the krausen falls (roughly through the ferment), the intention being to provide a reasonable amount of yeast that is young and healthy so it doesnt degrade under the beer while I wait for it to clean up the last of the sugars and the metabolic side issues produced early in the ferment.
At the other end of the scale, in a commercial lager brewery you could expect to see four yeast drops from the conical fermenter over a standard 21-28 day fermentation cycle.
None of the above is The Right Answer there isnt one, you need to look at all the variables, what you are brewing and what you want the yeast to accomplish, I suppose Im saying plan youre brewing.
Working with your yeast to make the beer you want to drink should give the best results.
MHB

PS
Im very disappointed with the Yeast Book, there are some gaping holes in the content, i.e. the shortage of good information on dry yeast, lets face it there is more dry yeast used on any alternate Thursday than White labs sell in a month yet it hardly rates a mention. Sadly I think the book is largely self serving, that is to say its good for White Labs.
There is some very good content, but it anit Holy Writ.
M

The reason I suggest that is because OP has suggested the cloudy glass is the second pour from the same bottle.

What's so eye rolling about that?
The eye rolling was at myself for making the "poor pour" comment :lol: I completely agree with you,just offered a possible alternative explanation :beer:

Wow! What a great response! Sorry for my tardy reply. Not that everyone needs to know this, but we had a death in the family so I've been away from the internet for a few days.

I have to say it's exciting to have found such an active community. Reading over what everyone has had to say I'd bet it's probably a combination of a couple of things. First things first: the beer tastes great. It's pretty full on but the flavour is good. It's only when I get to the second glass that things get a bit chalky and not as pleasant.

Recipe and process:

500g crushed Cara-Munich barley
3kg light liquid extract
455g light dry extract
43 g (abouts) of Hallertau
Irish Moss (still asking what the f this is)
15g Styrian Golding
55g Crustalised ginger (cut up in to tiny pieces)
White LAbs WLP565
belgian candy sugar

Steeped the Cara Munich to boil 77 degres, remvoed grain bag
added the extracts brought to the boil
added hallertau, started the 60 minute timer
15 minutes before the end added some belgian candy sugar
10 minutes before the end add more Hallertau
5 minutes before the end add add Syrian Golding Hops
Then at the 0 minute mark add the ginger.

The got a whirlpool going for a few minutes.

Now here is one point where I might have mucked it up. The cooling took ages. I had it in the bath with cold water that I kept topping up. All up it took about an hour before I could get it down to about 28 degrees. Once I get it this far I put it in transferred over to my fermenter, aerated and then pitched the yeast then aerated a bit more.

My notes say primary went for 3 days and then calmed down. I left it in the fermenter for 10 days. Now this is where I almost certainly made a mistake. My notes say there was a metric tone of shit at the bottom of the fermenter. I transferred over to a bottling bucket (read: spare fermenter) and then added 125g of priming sugar (i used dextrose, I think it's called).

Bottle conditioned for 10 days and then had a crack.

Starting gravity was 1.081 (it should have been 1.072). Final gravity was 1.015

So it seems like I could do these things better next time:
1. Sounds like I could have conditioned for another week or so
2. Due to the higher gravity I should have racked off to another fermenter. Problem with this is I don't have a glass carboy so there will be a bit of head space which could be a problem. I usually have to do a secondary anyway because I've been making beers up around 7% or 9% so there is a lot of extra stuff that goes in to the pot.
3. I made no effort to remove any shit after the boil (hops, loose grain etc) as I thought I had to leave it all in there. Seems like I could have removed some of it.
4. Pouring: Instead of pouring one glas, straightening the bottle (and thus unsettling the yeast at the bottom) and pouring another, do it all in one go in to a jug or something similar. I think this will be a big one
5. Seems like the yeast did kick up again after bottling because the longer I leave them, the more carbonated they seem to get. I guess this means I will have to finish them quick smart or I might get some explosions. Not conducive to a healthy marriage I'm sure.

Thanks everyone for the advice. If anyone is in inner Sydney I'd love to do a beer swap and compare notes. I'm only one man and I have a heap of beer ;)

Nice!

Joel

The eye rolling was at myself for making the "poor pour" comment :lol: I completely agree with you,just offered a possible alternative explanation :beer:

Understood.

paw_paw.jpg

Latest posts

Back